• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mass shooting have become just part of the American scene

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
that is what a talking head said and she was right. Many Americans no longer even want to hear about them or do not look up t their TV from their phones when they are being shown on the networks. Pretty soon the old saying will change to mom, apple pie and mass shootings. And nothing, and I mean nothing will be done o stop them. It is a sickening truth, but there it is, guns are more important than children.

that is what a talking head said and she was right. Many Americans no longer even want to hear about them or do not look up t their TV from their phones when they are being shown on the networks. Pretty soon the old saying will change to mom, apple pie and mass shootings. And nothing, and I mean nothing will be done o stop them. It is a sickening truth, but there it is, guns are more important than children.
Columbine was 23 years ago.

That’s all I have…….

. . . . It is a sickening truth, but there it is, guns are more important than children.
WHUT???? 😳

Who told you this?

Mass shootings have nothing to do with the importance of children. You're connecting dots that aren't even there.

All mass shooters are insane people. Insane people do insane things. There a plethora of laws to keep guns out the hands of insane people. The problem is the insane people don't care about the laws.

Columbine was 23 years ago.

That’s all I have…….
Goddard Kansas 1985. Allen Kirby went through the Jr, High with an M14 Garand. I was there. I was a senior in highschool but was at the Jr high for school functions.

WHUT???? 😳

Who told you this?

Mass shootings have nothing to do with the importance of children. You're connecting dots that aren't even there.

All mass shooters are insane people. Insane people do insane things. There a plethora of laws to keep guns out the hands of insane people. The problem is the insane people don't care about the laws.

So, what is the best thing to prevent the violently insane/clearly mentally-disturbed from obtaining firearms to kill our children and neighbors?

Should we just homeschool our children and order our groceries online?

Should we all take urban warfare classes, have CCWs and carry guns on us at all times in order to protect ourselves in the event of a mass-shooting event?

I'm serious, what ideally should we as a society do other than "status quo" or "Your on your own" AND that does not violate the rights of law-abiding citizens?

Perhaps just giving more money to law enforcement agencies responsible for monitoring the attempted purchase of firearms by the insane, or those with domestic violence convictions?

WHUT???? 😳

Who told you this?

The NRA.

The issue is more complicated, though. When you say 'gun' to a Republican, they picture themselves protecting their child with the gun, and defenseless without it, and think Democrats want to leave them without protection. The anti-Democrat propaganda is strong enough that most of them are against any safety measures from Democrats, and it seems there are no safety measures from Republican politicians.

Further, I don't know any policy Democrats support that would prevent mass shootings. There are some policies that might mitigate some - might prevent a few of the sales, might make the guns kill a bit more slowly, but no policy being considered would prevent mass shootings.

So that makes the debate more one of a debate about 'attitude' - with Republicans more enthusiastically supporting gun rights and their response being harsh punishment for mass shooters, while Democrats more loudly criticize mass shootings but their solution is to just take minor measures that leave most of them happening.

Even if Democrats decided strong gun control was a good idea, there are practical issues now that our society is smothered in hundreds of millions of guns. In other words, this isn't really like, say, Voter ID laws where Democrats might have a solution, but rather is more Democrats criticizing the problem but not having much of a solution, just a few improvements.

And you're also right, that the nature of news and media is that as both the mass shootings are large in number and people aren't that interested, they're likely to not get much coverage. 'News' is for stories that get ratings. When mass shootings are like plane crashes they're covered, when they're like car crashes they aren't. So 200 killed in a rare plane crash is news, but 1,000 killed in car crashes daily isn't covered.

So, what is the best thing to prevent the violently insane from obtaining firearms to kill our children and neighbors?

Should we just homeschool our children and order our groceries online?

Should we all take urban warfare classes, have CCWs and carry guns on us at all times in order to protect ourselves in the event of a mass-shooting event?

I'm serious, what ideally should we as a society do other than "status quo" or "Your on your own" AND that does not violate the rights of law-abiding citizens?

Perhaps just giving more money to law enforcement agencies responsible for monitoring the attempted purchase of firearms by the insane, or those with domestic violence convictions?
Each person needs to be vigilant with insane people.

The brother of an in-law of mine knows I have guns, and asked me to help him get a gun. The problem is that he's unstable and has done crazy/impulsive things in the past (nothing criminal, though).

So we talked, and I convinced him that owning a gun would just make his life more complicated than it really needs to be. He agreed, and that was that.

*phew*

My point is that we must each do what we can to ensure only mentally fit people have guns. This is all we can do. We could outlaw guns, but the insane/unhinged people will still be able to acquire a gun if there's enough motivation to do so.

The brother of an in-law of mine knows I have guns, and asked me to help him get a gun. The problem is that he's unstable and has done crazy/impulsive things in the past (nothing criminal, though).

So we talked, and I convinced him that owning a gun would just make his life more complicated than it really needs to be. He agreed, and that was that.

*phew*

My point is that we must each do what we can to ensure only mentally fit people have guns. This is all we can do. We could outlaw guns, but the insane/unhinged people will still be able to acquire a gun if there's enough motivation to do so.

Maybe. I think that people who have been determined to be unfit to own guns who later attempt to own or possess them (like asking a family member like yours did) should be arrested and tried for a felony along the same lines of how we would try someone for attempted murder. If we enforced already-existing gun control legislation to the hilt, I think we would see far less mass shootings.

Otherwise, we need to fortify our schools.

Who'd a thunk it. No one has a clue on what the facts are on this incident and yet all the tards are blaming the tool. I guess they all want to go back to cave man days. Tools are evil, tools kill people.

It is time to wake up. We live in a country of 330 million people. Some of these people are total Asshats. Those asshats are going to do stuff that repulse the rest of us. Limiting the freedoms of the law abiding will not alter the behavior of asshats. Only those without functioning brains don't accept that.

We should have another high profile mass shooting in around 20-25 days.

*phew*

That’s not going to get it done. The Buffalo culprit was on the radar, the kid whose parents purchased him a weapon and then sat across from school officials while they tried to raise the alarm, some one was “vigilant” in those cases. I predict that your way will lead to a trampling of rights and vendettas aimed at people who have an axe to grind.

There is no good and expedient answer, good that school is almost over for this year, too bad people will still need to get groceries and shop at big box stores…..

Maybe. I think that people who have been determined to be unfit to own guns who later attempt to own or possess them (like asking a family member like yours did) should be arrested and tried for a felony along the same lines of how we would try someone for attempted murder. If we enforced already-existing gun control legislation to the hilt, I think we would see far less mass shootings.

Otherwise, we need to fortify our schools.
Arresting a person for a crime they *might* commit is in direct violation of the 4th, 5th and 14th Amendments.

Existing Red Flag laws empower law enforcement to confiscate weapons from people who "might possibly endanger themselves or others" with a firearm.

However, the person cannot be arrested until a (suspected) crime has been committed.

For the record, I'm against Red Flag laws, because they too violate the 5th Amendment by taking property of an individual without due "just" compensation.

Amendment V

“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence [sic] to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

Further, I don't know any policy Democrats support that would prevent mass shootings
Mitigation is the best we can hope for, and that will take a decade or more. There are just too many firearms floating around out there.

and in Texas today where guns are all over yet another mass shooting. 14 kids and a Teacher, dead. Meanwhile Abbott the idiot most likely will still attend a NRA rally in Houston.

WHUT???? 😳

Who told you this?

Mass shooting have everything to do with mass shootings and it shows what is more important, that everyone should and can own a gun rather than do anything to make children safer. It is not what you say, but what you do that shows what you think is more important, and every time, the right chooses guns. All mass shooters are not crazy. Some are mentally ill, but you say laws keep them from getting guns, not so much. When laws have been tried to get passed keeping the crazies from getting guns, the laws show they have to be an immediate danger to others. BY the time we know they are an immediate danger to others, the others are dead. So as the NRA as said, being mentally ill does not remove your right to won a gun.

Arresting a person for a crime they *might* commit is in direct violation of the 4th, 5th and 14th Amendments.

Existing Red Flag laws empower law enforcement to confiscate weapons from people who "might possibly endanger themselves or others" with a firearm.

However, the person cannot be arrested until a (suspected) crime has been committed.

For the record, I'm against Red Flag laws, because they too violate the 5th Amendment by taking property of an individual without due "just" compensation.

Amendment V

“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence [sic] to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”
So essentially you want us to wait until they have killed a bunch of elementary school children before you arrest them or take their guns away. Do not mention a lot of laws passed if this is your opinion. Just so you know, I have run a mental hospital and I can tell you that the same person that is meek and mild one minute and talks absolute sense could pick up a knife or a gun and go after you the next.

Who'd a thunk it. No one has a clue on what the facts are on this incident and yet all the tards are blaming the tool. I guess they all want to go back to cave man days. Tools are evil, tools kill people.

It is time to wake up. We live in a country of 330 million people. Some of these people are total Asshats. Those asshats are going to do stuff that repulse the rest of us. Limiting the freedoms of the law abiding will not alter the behavior of asshats. Only those without functioning brains don't accept that.
As I said in my OP, mass shootings have become part of the American scene and you and the right will never do a thing to stop it. Without the so called "tool" , how many people could someone coming to a school kill? Especially if it is an AR15 with a huge magazine or even a hand gun with a 30 round mag. THe person is the one who aims the tool, but the tool does the killing.

Back
Top Bottom