• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mass shooters should be killed slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate mass shootings and people who commit mass shootings should be tortured to death.

I know that our law forbids killing people slowly, that executions have to be as quick and painless as possible, but I do think there should be an exception, mass shooters. Anybody who shoots up a school, mall, movie theatre, etc, killing innocent people, should be punished with a slow and painful death, as slow and as painful as possible despite what it says forbidding cruel and unusual punishment. As I said, there should be an exception.

Yep, and you should go after their families as well <sarcasm>.

I do not believe everyone can be rehabilitated. To the contrary, I believe few people can change once they are and adult or even older teen - even if they want to. That nearly everyone will revert to who they are. Many believe a pedophile can not be cured. The most that can be hoped for is the person restrains himself.

The fact is across all of known human history, there are sadistic, sociopathic and psychotic mass murderers and otherwise psychologically disturbed people. There is a violent, sadistic side with nearly everyone in my opinion - a side that wants to hurt enemies, wants enemies to suffer, etc.

For property crimes and other non-violent crimes I believe a person MIGHT be able to be educated that they reason not to do those crimes is they will end up in jail. They will never think it is wrong, just too risky. The same for those who have it within themselves to hurt and/or kill people where it had nothing to do with self defense or of anyone else. Rather, they did it for pleasure and/or power over others - like all rapists.

I do not think prisons should be where the convicted are abused, turned into slave labor or any of that. I do think they should be required to work if possible, and paid a small salary for it. Education should be available, particularly learning a job skill. But I do not believe a mass murderer could EVER be deemed rehabilitated and safe.

There was just a case last month of a murderer sentenced to life without parole was released after serving over 2 decades, nearly 3. Within a week of his release, he had murdered another woman - and EXACTLY how he had done so before. The question is not if anyone can be put on a better path in life (rehabilitated) as the answer is yes. The question is what about murderers who can't - or there is no way to ever really know the person has been?

The slogan is "don't take the law into your own hands." Allow society to administer "justice" because society will be very careful to make certain the person is guilty. In my opinion, execution (swift) is justice for the victim and moreso the survivors (family, children, spouse etc). Once it proven thru due process the person did commit pre-meditated murder(s), then the priority is for justice for the victim and survivors harmed. Focusing on what is best for the murder is the wrong priority.

The other people in prison have a full legal right not to be murdered too - and prison is where people with life sentences without parole are sent. Every year, those murders will murder dozens of people in prison and hundreds or thousands will be terrorized, extorted, assaulted and/or raped. Where is the justice of putting a psychotic murderer in with them? Doesn't that turn the sentence of the petty meth dealer into a death sentence? If a psychotic mass murderer is given a life sentence, where are you going to put him that does not endanger others except for the torture of solitary confinement?

We won't be changing each other's mind. Few people ever change their position on the death penalty. However, it seems we agree that prisons should be safe and humane. If not, they make people even more violent and can turn non-violent men into violent men - because for years they are around violent men and the prison runs on violence.

How about a common sense approach?

Take guns out of society .

I know that our law forbids killing people slowly, that executions have to be as quick and painless as possible, but I do think there should be an exception, mass shooters. Anybody who shoots up a school, mall, movie theatre, etc, killing innocent people, should be punished with a slow and painful death, as slow and as painful as possible despite what it says forbidding cruel and unusual punishment. As I said, there should be an exception.

Stupid proposal-it violates the constitution and as more and more states abandon the death penalty, the chances of this happening is about zero.

taking guns out of society is beyond idiotic. claiming it is common sense is hilarious.

when you can guarantee criminals won't be armed, and government will never be malignant, maybe we can discuss such a ludicrous proposal

Frankly, immediate death is too kind. Perhaps a day of torture for each killed - kill 18 then 18 days of inhuman torture, then death. Or perhaps weeks or months of torture? The rape and murder of children deserves even worse.

I am more a fan of killed on the spot by the quickest means available.

So you offer a 3rd perspective. Some of us favor the death penalty and other don't. You 3rd perspective is don't stop or harm the mass murderer.

If one reads books from the 1800s or prior on social behavior, the list of how a person should act civilly was very, very long - how to be civilized and genteel. Certainly between men and women, but also all of society and every setting. On the counter point there was such a thing as fighting worlds - outrageous vicious insults or gross uncivilized behavior.

Modern society has become extraordinarily rude, obscene, and crude. Many, if not most, do not hesitation to start screaming obscenities for any annoyance or just not getting their way, along with unlimited insults and threats. Talk to anyone who works a phone for customer service.

People are far more emotional creatures than logical ones. The reason for laws is to try to force us to contain our emotions and actions. The tolerance and commonality of grotesque verbal abuse continues to worsen. It allowed people to work themselves so much into a rage - or the other person to just become too enraged (and maybe frightened) that overtime or at the moment the person cracks and lashes out.

Society rewarding people claiming special status in self pity parties of declared victimhood is another real problem. It amazes me when people feel they need to tell me all the ways they think they were and are a victim, even their own shortcomings. For example, if someone tells me he/she is "bipolar," my response often is "thank you for the warning" and then I avoid that person as much as possible. It it like there is a competition of who can more claim victimhood: "yeah what happened you is bad, but what happened to me is much worse..." as if the one who most can claim victimhood should get a prize.

Current social values really messes up people. It created the illusion that excuses of victimhood and even the most grotesque verbal abuse is without any consequence.

All that said, there will always be sadistic, violent, sociopathic and psychotic people. In terms of violence this more often are men. Among the social and personal safeguards should be an individual and collective ability to defend against and stop a mass shooter. Instead, we are such a me! me! me! society combined with laws that intensely encourage apathy about everyone else but yourself - and for yourself to rely upon government - that mass shooters are not opposed and stopped quickly.

Joko104:

So your solution for making society more genteel is to slowly kill (torture?) mass shooters? Interesting and somewhat disturbing.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Stupid proposal-it violates the constitution and as more and more states abandon the death penalty, the chances of this happening is about zero.

Yes it does violate the constitution, but its no less than what a mass shooter deserves.

Yes it does violate the constitution, but its no less than what a mass shooter deserves.
its not going to happen. Now if some scumbag killed your entire family and you got the drop on the killer and say spent a few hours getting some serious payback, I wouldn't be screaming for you to get serious time, But allowing the government the power to torture someone to death-no thanks

How about a common sense approach.

People who say guns should be taken out of society should not have a voice in society.

Joko104:

So your solution for making society more genteel is to slowly kill (torture?) mass shooters? Interesting and somewhat disturbing.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

It's our Judeo-Christian Heritage in action....

I have always preferred the idea of banishment

I do not support our fascist president, which would be the definition of TDS. ;)

If he really was fascist, I suspect you'd be afraid to constantly insult him openly.

If he really was fascist, I suspect you'd be afraid to constantly insult him openly.
You think that fascism happens overnight? :D Wow, you know even less about history than I thought! :lamo

You think that fascism happens overnight? :D Wow, you know even less about history than I thought! :lamo

So when Trump starts making lampshades out of the TDS types, what are you going to do? You also have been advocating disarming citizens as well. Looks like you are going to be in a bad sort of way when the clampdown starts :mrgreen:

So when Trump starts making lampshades out of the TDS types, what are you going to do? You also have been advocating disarming citizens as well. Looks like you are going to be in a bad sort of way when the clampdown starts :mrgreen:

And here comes the deflection. :) Having been called out on your poor understanding of how fascism arises, you immediately change the subject. Typical TDS. :shrug:

And here comes the deflection. :) Having been called out on your poor understanding of how fascism arises, you immediately change the subject. Typical TDS. :shrug:

I would love to be able to compare my understanding of political science with yours because your use of the term fascist shows you have very little understanding. but if you are convinced Trump is going to create a fascist state, your constant insults of him belie your patently stated fears

I would love to be able to compare my understanding of political science with yours because your use of the term fascist shows you have very little understanding. but if you are convinced Trump is going to create a fascist state, your constant insults of him belie your patently stated fears
:lamo

More deflections and ignorance by you. This is what you do every single time you get caught. :lol:

As I said, there should be an exception.

Let's have OTHER exceptions, too:

1. If a thug robs a liquor store and then decides to also kill the clerk, he should be subject to the punishment you recommend.

2. If a thug sees you walking along the street and decides to sucker punch you, and you fall down and die of your injuries, he should also be subject to ...

The best punishment in the world, IMHO, is an eye for an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom