• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mass drug overdose in California kills 1 person and leaves 12 more hospitalized

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/health/california-mass-drug-overdose/index.html

(CNN)A mass drug overdose at a home in Chico, California, has killed one person and sent more than a dozen people to hospitals, police said.

Chico Police Chief Michael O'Brien said the main substance involved is believed to be fentanyl -- the most commonly used drug in overdoses, according to a recent government report.
==================================================================
Fentanyl is a quick way to kill yourself.

I've been exposed to fentanyl 3 times. The first 2 times was during cataract surgery, the drug being administered by an M.D. anesthesiologist in a day surgery operating room. It knocked me out immediately. The third time was mixed with midazolam (Versed) & adminstered by a nurse during an endoscopy procedure. I was awake during the entire procedure, indicating that I had apparently built up a tolerance to both of these drugs after only 2 exposures. I understand this is why opioid addicts crave fentanyl in their heroin because it has much more of a 'kick.'

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/health/california-mass-drug-overdose/index.html

(CNN)A mass drug overdose at a home in Chico, California, has killed one person and sent more than a dozen people to hospitals, police said.

Chico Police Chief Michael O'Brien said the main substance involved is believed to be fentanyl -- the most commonly used drug in overdoses, according to a recent government report.
==================================================================
Fentanyl is a quick way to kill yourself.

I've been exposed to fentanyl 3 times. The first 2 times was during cataract surgery, the drug being administered by an M.D. anesthesiologist in a day surgery operating room. It knocked me out immediately. The third time was mixed with midazolam (Versed) & adminstered by a nurse during an endoscopy procedure., I was awake during the entire procedire, indicating that I had apparently built up a tolerance to both of these drugs after only 2 exposures.

You probably did not build up a tolerance after 3 doses.

Most like they followed conscious sedation protocol. They use just enough to keep you comfortable during the procedure and sometimes you stay awake. I fell to sleep during mine and woke up half way through. They asked me if I was ok, and I was...so they did not give me more. I just watched the screen for the next 5 minutes or so.

But yes, the stuff is strong and quick to abuse. Nasty stuff to abusers.

You probably did not build up a tolerance after 3 doses.

Most like they followed conscious sedation protocol. They use just enough to keep you comfortable during the procedure and sometimes you stay awake. I fell to sleep during mine and woke up half way through. They asked me if I was ok, and I was...so they did not give me more. I just watched the screen for the next 5 minutes or so.

But yes, the stuff is strong and quick to abuse. Nasty stuff to abusers.

I believe they were trying to either knock me out or so heavily sedate me that I would have no memory of them poking around inside my guts with an endoscope. They did not succeed.

Same GI surgeon later performed a colonoscopy. I requested that they use propofol, the same drug that Michael Jackson was using when he died. I gather it suppresses your breathing enough that you have to be entubated & ventilated. Works like a charm. Out very quick, no hangover on recovery. Had a retina operation & in the preop exam I told the nurse I wanted propofol. Nurses are trained not to take medical orders from patients but she checked with the head of surgery who told her that it was OK to go with that. I was lucky because I didn't want to go through 'anesthesia awareness' with a surgeon poking around inside my eyeball.

Last edited:
I believe they were trying to either knock me out or so heavily sedate me that I would have no memory of them poking around inside my guts with an endoscope. They did not succeed.

Same GI surgeon later performed a colonoscopy. I requested that they use propofol, the same drug that Michael Jackson was using when he died. I gather it suppresses your breathing enough that you have to be entubated & ventilated. Works like a charm. Out very quick, no hangover on recovery. Had a retina operation & in the preop exam I told the nurse I wanted propofol. Nurses are trained not to take medical orders from patients but she checked with the head of surgery who told her that it was OK to go with that.

I have assisted in hundreds of conscious sedation procedures. During the procedure the doctor will adjust the dosing and we can do that in moments. if you did not get enough (and it sounds like you didn't) that is on the doctor, not the nurse. I would have a heart to heart with the MD prior to your next procedure.

I guess the point is...2 or 3 doses is not enough to build up a tolerance. Your body was telling your brain to reject the 4 foot hose rammed up your ass.:lamo

I have assisted in hundreds of conscious sedation procedures. During the procedure the doctor will adjust the dosing and we can do that in moments. if you did not get enough (and it sounds like you didn't) that is on the doctor, not the nurse. I would have a heart to heart with the MD prior to your next procedure.

I guess the point is...2 or 3 doses is not enough to build up a tolerance. Your body was telling your brain to reject the 4 foot hose rammed up your ass.:lamo

The fentanyl/midazolam procedure in question was an endoscopy. The colonoscopy was with propofol after I had a talk with my GI doc. I've now had it used on me twice & I prefer it.

I have built up a tolerance of sorts to benzos after years of use but I'm not convinced that the Dalmane (flurazepam) cap had no effect might have been just a bad drug as it is no longer made or marketed. Midazolam (Versed) in the past has always worked during past colonoscopies.

The fentanyl/midazolam procedure in question was an endoscopy. The colonoscopy was with propofol after I had a talk with my GI doc. I've now had it used on me twice & I prefer it.

I have built up a tolerance of sorts to benzos after years of use but I'm not convinced that the Dalmane (flurazepam) cap had no effect might have been just a bad drug as it is no longer made or marketed. Midazolam (Versed) in the past has always worked during past colonoscopies.

It is too bad you had that procedure. I have done conscious sedation with hundreds of patients...many of which were regular users of (fill in the bank) and have always been able to adequately sedate (Usually Fentanyl and Versed. We usually do not use propofolfor simple procedures like scopes - although it is a good drug and patients are able to wake up and be nearly 100 percent in minutes.

Back
Top Bottom