• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Masks every flu season forever

Sorry to hear that.

It's spooky. I live in an apartment complex that used to be 2/3 rds empty during the day that's 2/3 rds full now. Maybe some are working from home though.

Here it's the "unskilled" that are bearing the brunt of layoffs and furloughs though furlough support funding just ended, so the layoffs will rise. Working from home tends to be a middle-class option for the desk drivers.

It's spooky. I live in an apartment complex that used to be 2/3 rds empty during the day that's 2/3 rds full now. Maybe some are working from home though.

Yeah, up here a lot of people are working remotely. But you're right in that a lot of people are on unemployment. Not a good time all the way around.

Here's the clip of what Dr. Fauci said back in March:

At the beginning he said "The masks are important, for someone who is infected to prevent them from infecting someone else." When he says later in the clip that "It [masks] might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think it is", he's talking about how masks do not offer the wearer of the mask much protection, not that it doesn't offer protection to other people from the infected person wearing the mask. He later changed his stance for two reasons:
  1. At the time there was a PPE shortage, so he was discouraging healthy people from wearing them in order to save them for the people (healthcare providers and people who are ill) that really needed them.
  2. Later on in the pandemic it became known that a lot of asymptomatic people were spreading the virus, so it became important for even healthy people to wear masks to prevent them from unknowingly infecting other people.
Here's a video of Fauci saying exactly this in July: https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...9264e2-0f35-4862-aca2-2b4702650a8b_video.html

Nope. Don’t work. He lied. Masks don’t mysterio go from blocking one droplet to 95%. I gave you the reason why. You want to ignore what the idiot said.

Nope. Don’t work. He lied. Masks don’t mysterio go from blocking one droplet to 95%. I gave you the reason why. You want to ignore what the idiot said.

I'm not ignoring what he said, I'm just choosing to take everything he said into account. It's pretty clear in the interview that at the time he thought healthcare workers and the ill should be wearing masks, but the general public should not because at the time there was a PPE shortage and there weren't any known benefits for healthy people to wear them. His statement that masks might block a droplet doesn't change his overall message, and the message that the majority of experts and healthcare workers have been saying, which is that masks are a necessary and effective measure to prevent the spread of covid.

I'm not ignoring what he said, I'm just choosing to take everything he said into account. It's pretty clear in the interview that at the time he thought healthcare workers and the ill should be wearing masks, but the general public should not because at the time there was a PPE shortage and there weren't any known benefits for healthy people to wear them. His statement that masks might block a droplet doesn't change his overall message, and the message that the majority of experts and healthcare workers have been saying, which is that masks are a necessary and effective measure to prevent the spread of covid.
Nope. He mentioned nothing about any fear of any mask shortage. That was his excuse when the leftists said “What are we gonna do, doc?”

Nope. He mentioned nothing about any fear of any mask shortage. That was his excuse when the leftists said “What are we gonna do, doc?”

Interviewer said:
But it can lead to a shortage of masks.

Dr. Fauci said:
Exactly, that's the point. It could lead to a shortage of masks for the people who really need it.

Don’t work. He said CLOTH masks were just as good. Besides if he is talking about medical masks how come he said they only stop one droplet? A shortage of masks that stop one droplet? Really?

Don’t work. He said CLOTH masks were just as good. Besides if he is talking about medical masks how come he said they only stop one droplet? A shortage of masks that stop one droplet? Really?

I rewatched the video I posted and I can't find where he said that cloth masks were just as good. Here's another video from February that seems to contradict this:

Interviewer said:
And hopefully they would get a better mask than the drug store sells?

Dr. Fauci said:
Right, the drug store masks they sell have a lot of loopholes in them that let the virus through.

If Dr. Fauci believes that drug store masks aren't as effective as medical masks, I'm not sure he would believe homemade cloth ones would be either. If you have a clip of him saying otherwise feel free to post.

And again, I know he stated that masks might stop a droplet (I'm not really sure what he was trying to get at here), but I'm choosing to look at his overall message and it's pretty clear that at the time he thought that it was important for healthcare workers and the ill to wear masks to prevent the spread of covid. I don't think he would recommend them to anyone if they weren't effective.

I rewatched the video I posted and I can't find where he said that cloth masks were just as good. Here's another video from February that seems to contradict this:

If Dr. Fauci believes that drug store masks aren't as effective as medical masks, I'm not sure he would believe homemade cloth ones would be either. If you have a clip of him saying otherwise feel free to post.

And again, I know he stated that masks might stop a droplet (I'm not really sure what he was trying to get at here), but I'm choosing to look at his overall message and it's pretty clear that at the time he thought that it was important for healthcare workers and the ill to wear masks to prevent the spread of covid. I don't think he would recommend them to anyone if they weren't effective.

Ok. Let’s assume he was fearful of a shortage. What type masks was he referring to that may stop one droplet? IOW, was he steering people away from medical masks do there wouldn’t be a run on them? If so, he was lying, wasn’t he?

Ok. Let’s assume he was fearful of a shortage. What type masks was he referring to that may stop one droplet? IOW, was he steering people away from medical masks do there wouldn’t be a run on them? If so, he was lying, wasn’t he?

From the video, it's not clear to me if he was referring to a certain type of mask or masks in general. I definitely believe his comment about masks maybe stopping a droplet was intended to steer the general public away from buying them and causing a shortage. I think it's quite possible he wasn't being honest when he made that statement.

Nope, sorry. Wear a mask, social distance, and wash your hands. Or, move to a cabin in the woods.

Nope, sorry. Wear a mask, social distance, and wash your hands. Or, move to a cabin in the woods.
Your hero says you are lucky if they stop a droplet.

Masking was for political reason. Normalcy was coming with summer. We couldn't let that happen. Masks are to maintain the fear

So you are one of the ones who don't believe in science and medical experts. What is your qualification again?

From my family living here in Raleigh, 4 out of the 6 adults are working from home. 3 of the 4 in my household, and 1 in the other household, which is an apartment. While I do understand that a lot of people lost their jobs, there are many that simply converted to at home work.

Here it's the "unskilled" that are bearing the brunt of layoffs and furloughs though furlough support funding just ended, so the layoffs will rise. Working from home tends to be a middle-class option for the desk drivers.
Didn't Johnson just extend the furlough scheme?

Didn't Johnson just extend the furlough scheme?

Yes, his U turn package was just announced.

Five weeks ago, Prof Whitty (our Fauci) recommended a short national lockdown.
Four weeks ago Johnson said no way, and introduced a complicated local "tiers" system. Whitty, standing beside him at the podium essentially said it wouldn't work!
Yesterday, Johnson announced a month's national lockdown.
Today Ian Duncan Smith (a right wing Tory who led Johnson's premiership campaign) complained the Johnson had "Given in to science!"

From my family living here in Raleigh, 4 out of the 6 adults are working from home. 3 of the 4 in my household, and 1 in the other household, which is an apartment. While I do understand that a lot of people lost their jobs, there are many that simply converted to at home work.

Right. That's what I'm seeing here in the Boston area.

This isn't very difficult. Anyone that should be listened to is saying mask up. Anyone whose head is you know where is saying don't bother. Now you chose. Get it?

Yes, his U turn package was just announced.

Five weeks ago, Prof Whitty (our Fauci) recommended a short national lockdown.
Four weeks ago Johnson said no way, and introduced a complicated local "tiers" system. Whitty, standing beside him at the podium essentially said it wouldn't work!
Yesterday, Johnson announced a month's national lockdown.
Today Ian Duncan Smith (a right wing Tory who led Johnson's premiership campaign) complained the Johnson had "Given in to science!"
Seriously he said that?

This isn't very difficult. Anyone that should be listened to is saying mask up. Anyone whose head is you know where is saying don't bother. Now you chose. Get it?
That would be Faust, aka: Dr. Fauci, who said that medical masks might stop just one droplet and not a one of you knows why he said that. He was NOT talking about cloth masks that stop just one droplet. He was saying medical masks suck. Yet, he was worried about the public snatching up masks that he himself stop just a drople?

Think people. Think! Don’t always go along with the tribe.

Back
Top Bottom