• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Masks every flu season forever

Paradoxical

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Whenever I get into a discussion about masks, I get the usual trite response that they "work' and of course, links to doctors who recommend them. This is kind of like a life insurance salesmen telling you that life insurance is a good idea. What else is a doctor gonna say? The question is how many lives will wearing a mask save. No one ca or will answer that question but what we get is "If it saves just 100 lives or (fill in the blank with a number), masks are worth it, so what is it to you....wear the damn mask"

In spite of CLAIMS that this is a novel virus, it is still a virus no matter what someone says. Yes, of course it is worse than many other viruses that have come and gone. The flu season(s) kill an average of 50,000 people a year alone in the United States and if the control freak liberals can use health officials in their states and cities to declare an emergency and mandate masks for COVID, they ca also mandate them FOREVER, or at a minimum, every time and any time a new flu season comes along on the guise that they want to avoid another pandemic and/or save lives.

Is this the kind of society that humans really want? It IS the one we WILL get with Harris/Biden. Masks forever, folks. Really?

Do they have masks in Russia? They should.

Masks every flu season forever

this is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long overdo.

Asian country's have always done it, it's only block heads like the USA that never did.

I have advocate this for yearssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Good thread. I agree with you on this.

Asian country's have always done it, it's only block heads like the USA that never did.

If YOU agree with me, I have to take this thread down immediately.

It's probably not a bad idea for people to wear masks in flu seasons.

If people are sick it would be a great idea to wear a mask. It would be better if they stayed home. Wearing a mask is over doing it if your not feeling ill from the flu. Wearing a mask during C19 makes sense due to the large numbers of asymptomatic carriers.

No they haven't.
Yes they have. China, Japan for example; people have worn masks for years, mostly to mitigate against pollution.
Always happy to educate the uninformed. No need to thank me.

Whenever I get into a discussion about masks, I get the usual trite response that they "work' and of course, links to doctors who recommend them. This is kind of like a life insurance salesmen telling you that life insurance is a good idea. What else is a doctor gonna say? The question is how many lives will wearing a mask save. No one ca or will answer that question but what we get is "If it saves just 100 lives or (fill in the blank with a number), masks are worth it, so what is it to you....wear the damn mask"

In spite of CLAIMS that this is a novel virus, it is still a virus no matter what someone says. Yes, of course it is worse than many other viruses that have come and gone. The flu season(s) kill an average of 50,000 people a year alone in the United States and if the control freak liberals can use health officials in their states and cities to declare an emergency and mandate masks for COVID, they ca also mandate them FOREVER, or at a minimum, every time and any time a new flu season comes along on the guise that they want to avoid another pandemic and/or save lives.

Is this the kind of society that humans really want? It IS the one we WILL get with Harris/Biden. Masks forever, folks. Really?

I believe the thinking behind masks, social distancing, and washing hands is not so much to completely eliminate exposure but to delay it so the public doesn't panic, and our infrastructure doesn't become overwhelmed. Covid is too contagious to ultimately prevent without an effective vaccine.

Once this pandemic is under control, people should gradually resume normal activity.

Yes they have. China, Japan for example; people have worn masks for years, mostly to mitigate against pollution.
Always happy to educate the uninformed. No need to thank me.

Sorry professor. I spend a lot of time in Asia, and this thread is about people being required to wear masks. Year round, many people in Asia do wear masks, particularly when they are sick. But it's not even close to most of them. I was in Japan in February and even then relatively few people were wearing them.

I believe the thinking behind masks, social distancing, and washing hands is not so much to completely eliminate exposure but to delay it so the public doesn't panic, and our infrastructure doesn't become overwhelmed. Covid is too contagious to ultimately prevent without an effective vaccine.

Once this pandemic is under control, people should gradually resume normal activity.
It is hard to say how many more people would have died without masks. I would have preferred the latter.

It's probably not a bad idea for people to wear masks in flu seasons.

Right? I mean now that I think about it, doesn't it just make sense to cover your mouth and nose if you are feeling flu symptoms.

But to convince a "Christian pro-life" nation it's about the well being of fellow citizens and saving vulnerable lives is a hard sell. They'd rather have the choice of wearing a mask or not.

Why can't we set an arbitrary line? A virus as contagious and deadly as the flu or less does not require everyone to wear masks, though the sick ought to. A virus as contagious and deadly as COVID-19 does require everyone to wear masks because we can't afford the death toll that would result if we allowed healthcare services to seize up across the country.

What alternative is there? A non-pandemic society cannot support the number of healthcare professionals and services that a society suffering from a pandemic requires, and a pandemic does not send a warning that it is coming in the next decade and wait for new healthcare professionals to be trained and certified before it strikes.

It is hard to say how many more people would have died without masks. I would have preferred the latter.

It''s clear though that the health and economic system would've been impacted even harder, which would've brought on far worse problems than the inconvenience of PPE and shutdowns. Though, eventually, the shutdowns could cause more damage in the long run if not mitigated.

Right? I mean now that I think about it, doesn't it just make sense to cover your mouth and nose if you are feeling flu symptoms.

But to convince a "Christian pro-life" nation it's about the well being of fellow citizens and saving vulnerable lives is a hard sell. They'd rather have the choice of wearing a mask or not.

If they just chose to do the right thing there would be no need for mask mandates or lockdowns.

If they just chose to do the right thing there would be no need for mask mandates or lockdowns.

It's been months now and people still can't grasp that simple idea so I am not holding my breath some people will suddenly choose the right thing.

Why can't we set an arbitrary line? A virus as contagious and deadly as the flu or less does not require everyone to wear masks, though the sick ought to. A virus as contagious and deadly as COVID-19 does require everyone to wear masks because we can't afford the death toll that would result if we allowed healthcare services to seize up across the country.

What alternative is there? A non-pandemic society cannot support the number of healthcare professionals and services that a society suffering from a pandemic requires, and a pandemic does not send a warning that it is coming in the next decade and wait for new healthcare professionals to be trained and certified before it strikes.
Being careful and at the same time humans gain immunity. Masks are inhuman. They go against the laws of nature.

You like the Asian countries move over there and enjoy them. America is not built on more control, lockdowns, government intervention. The government is going to be taking over so many parts of your life under the democrats and their extreme leftist wing. Dems on this site like to call Trump and republicans Fascist, they obviously don't know what that is. LOOK IN THE MIRROR!!!!
Fascism is a form of extremist, authoritarianism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition (control of the media in all forms, twitter, facebook, print media) and strong regimentation of society (lock down and wear masks, stifle opposition opinion) and of the economy (wealth redistribution, extreme government regulation and control). Fascists believe that democracy is obsolete and regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state (control of both houses, the Presidency, the Supreme Court) as necessary to prepare a nation to respond effectively to economic difficulties (unfair distribution of wealth, equality of outcome, massive government "free programs"). [9] Such a state is led by a leader—such as a dictator (dictators are often first elected, Hitler, Maduro, Saddam Hussein, Assad, Mussolini, Mugabe, Al Bashir) and a martial government composed of the members of the governing fascist party—(radical leftist, AOC, Omar, Talib, Pressley, Bernie) to force national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society.[9] Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative and views political violence as means that can achieve national rejuvenation, (little to no condemnation of the burning, looting, assualts, in democrat run cities).

It''s clear though that the health and economic system would've been impacted even harder, which would've brought on far worse problems than the inconvenience of PPE and shutdowns. Though, eventually, the shutdowns could cause more damage in the long run if not mitigated.
This is not certain. The WHO recently admitted that the cure was worse than the disease. You cannot lock down economies and not have people go into a depression as well as the economy. It may be callous, but I would prefer more people dead than people in a state of anxiety, depression, suicidal, financially ruined. Wouldn't you?

This is not certain. The WHO recently admitted that the cure was worse than the disease. You cannot lock down economies and not have people go into a depression as well as the economy. It may be callous, but I would prefer more people dead than people in a state of anxiety, depression, suicidal, financially ruined. Wouldn't you?

There's no way of knowing for sure what choice was the best one. I believe the gov and businesses did the best they could. I don't prefer more dead people but we have to try and make decisions based on an unbiased rationale, not media-generated hysteria.

It would go a long way towards lessening the severity of future flu seasons. This isn't a bad idea.

Being careful and at the same time humans gain immunity. Masks are inhuman. They go against the laws of nature.

That doesn't make them inhuman. Just about everything humans do goes against the laws of nature. We keep our loved ones alive when nature would have killed them because we love them, and want to avoid bringing pain to others. That is what makes us human: Our concern for others that we don't even know. Not wearing a mask is, in fact, inhuman when doing so encourages others to put themselves and their neighbors at unnecessary risk.

You like the Asian countries move over there and enjoy them.

Nah. I like it here. I'll continue to work to bring education to the "real American," the "patriot" losers.

the rest of your posts is but hysterical rhetoric.

bye bye

Back
Top Bottom