• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Mask Slackers' and 'Deadly' Spit: The 1918 Flu Campaigns

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
During the 1918 Pandemic, 'Mask Slackers' Were Labeled as Unpatriotic - HISTORY

Cartoons, PSAs and streetcar signs urged Americans to follow health guidelines to keep the pandemic from spreading.

Note: This was before radio receivers became common household appliances.

Many of the methods Americans used in 1918 to try to prevent the spread of the flu are similar to what people began doing during the COVID-19 pandemic: Close schools. Wear masks. Don’t cough or sneeze in someone’s face. Avoid large events and hold them outside when possible. And no spitting.

Health and city officials got the word out about these guidelines in all kinds of ways. In Philadelphia, streetcar signs warned “Spit Spreads Death.” In New York City, officials enforced no-spitting ordinances and encouraged residents to cough or sneeze into handkerchiefs (a practice that caught on after the pandemic). The city’s health department even advised people not to kiss “except through a handkerchief,” and wire reports spread the message around the country.

In western states, some cities adopted mask ordinances, and officials argued wearing one was a patriotic duty. In October 1918, the San Francisco Chronicle ran a public service announcement telling readers that “The man or woman or child who will not wear a mask now is a dangerous slacker”—a reference to the type of World War I “slacker” who didn’t help the war effort. One sign in California threatened, “Wear a Mask or Go to Jail.” (more)
============================================================================
Today we seem to be missing the public relations efforts that were behind the adoption of mask wearing in 1918-1920. That's too bad as it will likely extend this pandemic by years at least.

A century later, we’re knuckle-dragging science-deniers.

Cartoons, PSAs and streetcar signs urged Americans to follow health guidelines to keep the pandemic from spreading.

Many of the methods Americans used in 1918 to try to prevent the spread of the flu are similar to what people began doing during the COVID-19 pandemic: Close schools. Wear masks. Don’t cough or sneeze in someone’s face. Avoid large events and hold them outside when possible. And no spitting.

Health and city officials got the word out about these guidelines in all kinds of ways. In Philadelphia, streetcar signs warned “Spit Spreads Death.” In New York City, officials enforced no-spitting ordinances and encouraged residents to cough or sneeze into handkerchiefs (a practice that caught on after the pandemic). The city’s health department even advised people not to kiss “except through a handkerchief,” and wire reports spread the message around the country.

In western states, some cities adopted mask ordinances, and officials argued wearing one was a patriotic duty. In October 1918, the San Francisco Chronicle ran a public service announcement telling readers that “The man or woman or child who will not wear a mask now is a dangerous slacker”—a reference to the type of World War I “slacker” who didn’t help the war effort. One sign in California threatened, “Wear a Mask or Go to Jail.” (more)
Today we seem to be missing the public relations efforts that were behind the adoption of mask wearing in 1918-1920. That's too bad as it will likely extend this pandemic by years at least.

Damn straight. They were unpatriotic then and they're unpatriotic now.

I do not want mine to. Collapses tend to be long and painful.

Yeah, but generally the next civilization can gain even greater heights. We had a good run.

Yeah, but generally the next civilization can gain even greater heights. We had a good run.

There are plenty of failed states around the world if that's the kind of place you'd rather live in.

Any info on what type of masks were being suggested?

1918 flu my ass.

Or else I should've been dead long ago.
Just a come on from the whores on 2nd avenue.

There are plenty of failed states around the world if that's the kind of place you'd rather live in.

No one wants to live in the shadows of the aqueducts, but it happens.

Feel free to move there if that's your thing. I have no interest in suffering through a horrible collapse of our society.

In the good old days it was expected that people would get behind a public health effort. Nowadays there are too many self-entitled spoiled brats who fold their arms and say, "I don't want to and you can't make me!" Refuse to be inconvenienced.

Think of it as helping to fill sandbags. Or not making a campfire during fire ban season. Some people just can't be counted on.

Last edited:
Civilizations routinely collapse.

My German ex-mother-in-law described America as the first society in history to become decadent without having been civilized.
She was wrong, of course. Civilization doesn't imply anything more than cities, but you get her point.

Feel free to move there if that's your thing. I have no interest in suffering through a horrible collapse of our society.

Sure, no one has an interest in it, but this is an aggregate effect, so no 1 individual can stop it. So it goes.

At least we'll be going out nearish the top. Imagine all those suckers in 50 years dealing with the aftermath of The Fall.

Sure, no one has an interest in it, but this is an aggregate effect, so no 1 individual can stop it. So it goes.

At least we'll be going out nearish the top. Imagine all those suckers in 50 years dealing with the aftermath of The Fall.

What the hell are you getting at? Are you suggesting that this is some sort of "natural order" of things for humans to suffer? Cause that sounds like a belief in karma, not the bastardized version in the West, but actual karma as believed by Hindus. And I have no respect for that ****.

What the hell are you getting at? Are you suggesting that this is some sort of "natural order" of things for humans to suffer? Cause that sounds like a belief in karma, not the bastardized version in the West, but actual karma as believed by Hindus. And I have no respect for that ****.

Just the cyclic nature of human society. We weren't the first society, we ain't the last. I hope next time they make it to Mars at least though.

Just the cyclic nature of human society. We weren't the first society, we ain't the last. I hope next time they make it to Mars at least though.

Whatever. I'm leaving this thread so I don't say something I regret later.

I would love to have an aqueduct in my back yard. I could really deck that thing out for Halloween

I would love to have an aqueduct in my back yard. I could really deck that thing out for Halloween

They were marvels of ancient engineering. But could you imagine living in the Dark Ages and looking at them?

Wilson was president, would you expect a crisis to go by without being exploited?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

They were marvels of ancient engineering. But could you imagine living in the Dark Ages and looking at them?

I am guessing people in the dark age knew what was what with them simply because so much was still being crafted out of stone, particularly the cathedrals that were going up toward the latter half.

Your descendants may not be able to avoid it. It's not looking too good for you even now with China hot on your heels poised to become the next world-leading economic power.

Any info on what type of masks were being suggested?

Same as today, cloth face coverings. Which don't do ****, and in some cases, are worse than not wearing a mask at all.

Same as today, cloth face coverings. Which don't do ****, and in some cases, are worse than not wearing a mask at all.
Exactly right. Because of the shortage of medical masks (which are one of the safest but not foolproof) experts were telling us cloth masks were acceptable. But not any cloth mask. They have to have a certain quality and still not preferred.

I retired from a chemical manufacturing company where we were required to wear respirators. Years ago your dust masks were all we had. Protection from dust was fine but they offered little to no protection from the chemicals we were exposed to. Eventually we graduated to full encapsulated gear. But even they wouldn’t protect you if they weren’t fitted properly. So many people have a false sense of security but we certainly don’t want to panic people.

Back
Top Bottom