• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mask Mandates Don't Work

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
California instituted a mask mandate on June 18, two months ago. On that date they had 4084 new cases for June 18th. Two months after the mask mandate yesterday, August 18th, California had 4636 new cases for the day. On June 18th, the first day of the mask mandate, California had 82 new deaths and two months after the mask mandate, on August 18th, they had 100 new deaths for the day. California | The COVID Tracking Project

And, whether you are in a red state or a blue state, people aren't going to wear their masks whether there is a mask mandate or not and most of these people are the younger invincible liberals aged 20-29 who aren't about to stop going to beaches and bars.

Its working in my state....

California instituted a mask mandate on June 18, two months ago. On that date they had 4084 new cases for June 18th. Two months after the mask mandate yesterday, August 18th, California had 4636 new cases for the day. On June 18th, the first day of the mask mandate, California had 82 new deaths and two months after the mask mandate, on August 18th, they had 100 new deaths for the day. California | The COVID Tracking Project

And, whether you are in a red state or a blue state, people aren't going to wear their masks whether there is a mask mandate or not and most of these people are the younger invincible liberals aged 20-29 who aren't about to stop going to beaches and bars.
Whether wearing a mask helps or not, by what authority does the gov have to force healthy people to wear them?
I can make thousands or more arguments of things that people should do using the same perverse logic being applied here and by doing it here it opens the door to those arguments.
We could mandate that everyone own a gun or nobody can have premarital sex and if it saves one life its worth it. There is a very big problem with criminalizing things that are not universally accepted by an overwhelming majority as unacceptable like murder for instance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The mask mandate is working in my county. :rock

It’s working in my countRy where they do it. My ignorant trump county in Illinois is NOW spiking because these ****heads won’t wear masks even where they’re mandated. The OP is on a roll today in denial of facts.

Mask up or stay home.

Community Use Of Face Masks And COVID-19: Evidence From A Natural Experiment Of State Mandates In The US
State policies mandating public or community use of face masks or covers in mitigating the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are hotly contested. This study provides evidence from a natural experiment on the effects of state government mandates for face mask use in public issued by fifteen states plus Washington, D.C., between April 8 and May 15, 2020. The research design is an event study examining changes in the daily county-level COVID-19 growth rates between March 31 and May 22, 2020. Mandating face mask use in public is associated with a decline in the daily COVID-19 growth rate by 0.9, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 percentage points in 1–5, 6–10, 11–15, 16–20, and 21 or more days after state face mask orders were signed, respectively. Estimates suggest that as a result of the implementation of these mandates, more than 200,000 COVID-19 cases were averted by May 22, 2020. The findings suggest that requiring face mask use in public could help in mitigating the spread of COVID-19.

People never travel from a dumb **** trump county to an intelligent mask-wearing county.

What the **** does that have to do with my question?...lol

Why are the numbers still going up?

We do not know. Moderate Right failed to tell us. He only posited that masks do not work without any evidence of which areas of California are failing, why they are failing, or situations they are failing in. I am open to arguments from either side, but they need to be substantiated before I will change my mind about whether masks work.

Whether wearing a mask helps or not, by what authority does the gov have to force healthy people to wear them?
I can make thousands or more arguments of things that people should do using the same perverse logic being applied here and by doing it here it opens the door to those arguments.
We could mandate that everyone own a gun or nobody can have premarital sex and if it saves one life its worth it. There is a very big problem with criminalizing things that are not universally accepted by an overwhelming majority as unacceptable like murder for instance.

How do they know they're healthy? Trump never has supported a full test rollout.

The biggest spike in CA is from the Central Valley where there are many farmworkers and other essential workers who have little choice than to work as they do, which may not include mask or proper physical spacing to get the job done, and also live in hshld where it is usual to have 3 gens living together, closely, where much virus is transmitted. It is much the same that is contributing to the spike in TX from along the southern border. Same thing. TX has a mask mandate, but that should eventually lower their numbers. CA is still lower per capita than the Red states. So, there ya go.

Maricopa County (Phoenix, 3.5 million people), has a County wide mask mandate, and the positivity rate and hospitalizations are back to the lows of 2 months go after a fierce spike prior to the mandate. Its the rare person who doesn't have a mask on in public, and they are usually called out and/or offered a mask by the maskers. I carry an extra mask (sealed in the original package) to give to someone without. Mandates work very well.

How do they know they're healthy? Trump never has supported a full test rollout.
How do you know they are not? Do you not see a problem with assuming everyone is guilty of something in the absence of proof of innocence?

Another absurd thread from the absurdly obtuse Right. Its a Pandemic. I am so tired of dealing with this nonsense from the Right that is all I have left to give it. IT's a Pandemic.

The biggest spike in CA is from the Central Valley where there are many farmworkers and other essential workers who have little choice than to work as they do, which may not include mask or proper physical spacing to get the job done, and also live in hshld where it is usual to have 3 gens living together, closely, where much virus is transmitted. It is much the same that is contributing to the spike in TX from along the southern border. Same thing. TX has a mask mandate, but that should eventually lower their numbers. CA is still lower per capita than the Red states. So, there ya go.

There you go that mask mandates don't work.

There you go that mask mandates don't work.

They don't work if they are not adhered too and they are not adhered to when the IDIOT Orangutan in the WH does not have a consistent message regarding masking up.

And what is wrong with you people. Are you out of your frigging minds? What is your gripe with wearing a mask..... that Donald Donkey does not like them?

You want numbers on masking up. Check Kansas where the Gov issued a Mask Mandate which some counties decided to resist through the courts. That set up a nice test study. You had a control group made up of the counties that resisted and a study group made up of the counties that did not resist.

You can go find the graph posted in several spots on the web. The results are quite startling and way in favor of masking up.

Last edited:
Maricopa County (Phoenix, 3.5 million people), has a County wide mask mandate, and the positivity rate and hospitalizations are back to the lows of 2 months go after a fierce spike prior to the mandate. Its the rare person who doesn't have a mask on in public, and they are usually called out and/or offered a mask by the maskers. I carry an extra mask (sealed in the original package) to give to someone without. Mandates work very well.

California disagrees with you. Perhaps it is the red states like Arizona who are more compliant instead of those blue state liberal young people.

California disagrees with you. Perhaps it is the red states like Arizona who are more compliant instead of those blue state liberal young people.

California has some serious hot beds of whack job Republicanism left in it, apparently one of the astounding number of things Trumpets don't know.

We should do it the way Donald Trump did it. Ignore, pretend, divert and pass blame.

Then we'll wake up one morning, 5 and 1/2 months later, with 170,000 dead Americans.

How do you know they are not? Do you not see a problem with assuming everyone is guilty of something in the absence of proof of innocence?

It's not a question of guilt. It's a potentially deadly disease that's infections for a week before the victim gets symptoms. You wear a mask to protect others, unless you don't give a ****.

We do not know. Moderate Right failed to tell us. He only posited that masks do not work without any evidence of which areas of California are failing, why they are failing, or situations they are failing in. I am open to arguments from either side, but they need to be substantiated before I will change my mind about whether masks work.

If the masks are the magic wand, why did the U.S. have 11,000+ new cases as of 16:26 GMT?

Back
Top Bottom