• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mask free Monday finally!

BirdinHand

Our body, OUR choice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Two years into “two weeks to flatten the curve” New Jersey students can *finally* go to school without masks today!

My son FINALLY gets to see his classmates faces and the faces of his Kindergarten teachers for more than recess and lunch/snack periods!

His teachers sent home a message on Friday that *if* you want your child TO continue to wear a mask - to send them the request IN WRITING.
I’m so happy for my son!

Because…Covid has put HIS development YEARS behind with mask mandates.

See, my son has childhood apraxia of speech - it is a rare speech disorder. Because of CAS, masks have been SUCH a detriment to him because he can’t SEE the faces of people to see HOW they move their mouths to make sounds. CAS isn’t a “speech delay” meaning he doesn’t have language - it is a processing/motor delay where he HAS language, but his brain/muscles don’t work together easily to turn language into actual intelligible words.

For him - and all the other kids with CAS - today is HUGE!

He can SEE people talking at school - see HOW people are making sounds.

Yay for mask free Monday! It has been a LONG two weeks to flatten the curve! And finally King Murphy has allowed these kids to be mask free.

The pandemic would have been shorter in first world countries if it hadn't been for the militantly maskless, anti-vax woo woos, and the disinformation brigade.

The pandemic would have been shorter in first world countries if it hadn't been for the militantly maskless, anti-vax woo woos, and the disinformation brigade.

King Murphy held onto mandates as long as he possibly could

Don't forget that it started with the CDC saying masks wernt recommended. Once you flip your stance there are plenty of people out there that (rightly and wrongly) are already dispositioned to not trust the govt.

Don't forget that it started with the CDC saying masks wernt recommended. Once you flip your stance there are plenty of people out there that (rightly and wrongly) are already dispositioned to not trust the govt.

Weren't recommended to protect one's self. Always recommended to prevent transfer to others.

Two years into “two weeks to flatten the curve” New Jersey students can *finally* go to school without masks today!

My son FINALLY gets to see his classmates faces and the faces of his Kindergarten teachers for more than recess and lunch/snack periods!

His teachers sent home a message on Friday that *if* you want your child TO continue to wear a mask - to send them the request IN WRITING.
I’m so happy for my son!

See, my son has childhood apraxia of speech - it is a rare speech disorder. Because of CAS, masks have been SUCH a detriment to him because he can’t SEE the faces of people to see HOW they move their mouths to make sounds. CAS isn’t a “speech delay” meaning he doesn’t have language - it is a processing/motor delay where he HAS language, but his brain/muscles don’t work together easily to turn language into actual intelligible words.

Yay for mask free Monday! It has been a LONG two weeks to flatten the curve! And finally King Murphy has allowed these kids to be mask free.
Great news for you and your son. I'm happy for you.

I bet deaf children who read lips and their parents are happy, too.

(y)

I don’t think I’ll ever understand this rigid approach to information. Surely people are more adaptable to changing facts in the course of their everyday lives.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand this rigid approach to information. Surely people are more adaptable to changing facts in the course of their everyday lives.

Probably has something to do with people saying the science is settled for 2 decades. Hear that enough and you will that that science doesn't change

Probably has something to do with people saying the science is settled for 2 decades. Hear that enough and you will that that science doesn't change
That sounds like a churlish and petty response to changing facts.

That sounds like a churlish and petty response to changing facts.

Or it sounds like people have become conditioned to what the media and the politicians tell them. Just think about how many alternative facts (from both sides) have been part of the narrative simply because they were repeated enough having nothing to do with their veracity

Or it sounds like people have become conditioned to what the media and the politicians tell them. Just think about how many alternative facts (from both sides) have been part of the narrative simply because they were repeated enough having nothing to do with their veracity
It’s difficult to respond to this type of argument precisely because you’ve so perfectly tangled changing facts with your personal sense of indignity. The facts of masks didn’t change to offend or inconvenience you. It’s not part of some broader conspiracy to offend you.

It’s difficult to respond to this type of argument precisely because you’ve so perfectly tangled changing facts with your personal sense of indignity. The facts of masks didn’t change to offend or inconvenience you. It’s not part of some broader conspiracy to offend you.

It's difficult to respond to this type of argument because you have made up thing think you think I have said or believe.

I never said that changing the mask requirement was wrong only that the population has been conditioned to think that science doesn't change and how that combined with inherent govt distrust caused a backlash against masks.

You want to talk only about masks while ignoring the systemic issues which created it in the first place.

You really don't need to be educated on the reasoning again, do you?

It's difficult to respond to this type of argument because you have made up thing think you think I have said or believe.

I never said that changing the mask requirement was wrong only that the population has been conditioned to think that science doesn't change and how that combined with inherent govt distrust caused a backlash against masks.

You want to talk only about masks while ignoring the systemic issues which created it in the first place.
This is an argument against science, and I’m wondering if you can spot the part in your post that reveals this. I’m guessing not.

Again with the rigidity thing which is one of the things I truly despise about republican politics. If you change your stance on something because of more information apparently you are a flip-flopper, remember that one from the republicans with kerry as if it's something bad. It's not bad, it's stupid to be so rigid. Remember when if you put your hands over your eyes you thought others couldn't see you? Does it still work?

This is an argument against science, and I’m wondering if you can spot the part in your post that reveals this. I’m guessing not.

Wrong. I have never said changing the opinion on mask wearing was wrong. You are dismissed. Go peddle your strawmen elsewhere

You really don't need to be educated on the reasoning again, do you?

You really are a year to late with your Santa and his mask. Come into spring 2022 and maybe we can have a conversation

I’m so happy for my son!

I'm sorry that your son suffers the ill effects of CAS. I'm glad for any happiness he finds as the result of this new freedom.

For my part, I have been amazed at how different people appear with and without masks. Some seem to be more attractive and some less so without their masks.

It has been amusing to me that I have created the hidden parts of their faces in my mind. With masks removed, they just don't look "right".

My wife speaks English as a second language. For her, understanding English is more difficult when 3/4 of the face, especially the mouths, are covered by hat and mask.

These problems combined with the proven ineffectiveness of masks are distressing.

Hooray that the dogmatic superstitious have finally dropped this part of their campaign of direction and control.

You really are a year to late with your Santa and his mask. Come into spring 2022 and maybe we can have a conversation
You said:

"I never said that changing the mask requirement was wrong only that the population has been conditioned to think that science doesn't change."

What is this even a rebuttal to? Who is this argument made for, or about?" What you don't get is that to somebody who has even a basic grasp of the scientific process, that statement is completely asinine and senseless. It's no different than if you were in a crowded elevator and suddenly said, "It's too crispy!" Everybody around you would automatically think, "Dude, who are you talking to?"

Your evidence, considering the fact that you cannot point to ONE state that had mask mandates who did much better than those that didn't?

I scratch my head when people assert that "science has changed". If that was/is the case. it is like saying "We just discovered 2 + 2 does not equal 5. That was the science last week. Now the science says 2 + 2 = 3"

Back
Top Bottom