• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mask Defense

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Here's a good question I saw on twitter: If a person without a mask comes at me in a menacing way, or coughs on me, do I have the right to defend myself with pepper spray?

Furthermore, I currently work in retail, so this scenario has not happened to me yet, but plenty of customers have been spouting on about mass conspiracies. It's only a matter of time.

I think it will be interesting to see the response from gun nuts and not to mention privacy advocates.

What say you?

Here's a good question I saw on twitter: If a person without a mask comes at me in a menacing way, or coughs on me, do I have the right to defend myself with pepper spray?

Furthermore, I currently work in retail, so this scenario has not happened to me yet, but plenty of customers have been spouting on about mass conspiracies. It's only a matter of time.

I think it will be interesting to see the response from gun nuts and not to mention privacy advocates.

What say you?

Yes, if a reasonable person in your situation would fear imminent offensive contact, as sounds like would be the case if they are approaching you in a menacing way and coughing, then you have the right to defend yourself with pepper spray and you can press charges of assault after you do so.

In a situation where a reasonable person would not have that fear, then you do not and could yourself be charged with assault and battery.

Last edited:
Not sure what constitutes "menacing way" in retail.

If somebody comes at me in a menacing way regardless of the pandemic I'd spray them. This is probably gonna be a thing as we open up the economy. I'd recommend not getting into discussions with people regarding whether they should or should not wear a mask. I don't think employers should put their people into that position even if it is required. A manager or security should take care of this.

I try not to discuss the pandemic with deniers at all. You can tell pretty quickly which way a conversation is gonna go with these people. If someone at work were to ask me why I wear a mask I would tell them I'd don't want to bring anything back to my parents. I'd stay away from trying to educate them or argue the reasoning of wearing the mask. I don't negotiate with idiots.

Yes, if a reasonable person in your situation would fear imminent offensive contact, as sounds like would be the case if they are approaching you in a menacing way and coughing, then you have the right to defend yourself with pepper spray and you can press charges of assault after you do so.

In a situation where a reasonable person would not have that fear, then you do not and could yourself be charged with assault and battery.

There have been people doing this willingly to retail workers screaming at them for wearing masks and coughing on them purposely, this will only increase. Requiring more protection. It's safe to say that in this situation, the fear exists.

If somebody comes at me in a menacing way regardless of the pandemic I'd spray them. This is probably gonna be a thing as we open up the economy. I'd recommend not getting into discussions with people regarding whether they should or should not wear a mask. I don't think employers should put their people into that position even if it is required. A manager or security should take care of this.

I try not to discuss the pandemic with deniers at all. You can tell pretty quickly which way a conversation is gonna go with these people. If someone at work were to ask me why I wear a mask I would tell them I'd don't want to bring anything back to my parents. I'd stay away from trying to educate them or argue the reasoning of wearing the mask. I don't negotiate with idiots.

I make it a point not to touch people's phones if they ask my questions about it. When someone spouts of conspiracy theories, we just nod our heads and say we agree with them (even though they are wearing masks the whole time). They eventually get their product and leave.

There have been people doing this willingly to retail workers screaming at them for wearing masks and coughing on them purposely, this will only increase. Requiring more protection. It's safe to say that in this situation, the fear exists.

I would agree. That said, not being liable for a crime doesn't mean you wouldn't lose your job or have to hire a lawyer to fight a frivolous lawsuit. You have the constitutional right to self defense, but not the constitutional right to keep your job or to not be sued.

I would agree. That said, not being liable for a crime doesn't mean you wouldn't lose your job or have to hire a lawyer to fight a frivolous lawsuit. You have the constitutional right to self defense, but not the constitutional right to keep your job or to not be sued.

Odd jump to conclusion there about the lawsuit. I don't care enough about this job to care if I lose it or not from that. But there's no guarantee I'll be sued. We'd call the cops before any violence or pepper spraying becomes necessary.

What say you?

No, the low percentage of people with coronavirus (antibody testing shows maybe 10% of the population has had it in the most affected areas) plus the exceeding rareness of severe illness means you cannot express a reasonable fear from a cough. Plus your self defense actions have to be reasonable to stop the unwanted conduct and pepper spray will cause the individual to start tearing coughing and blowing their nose like there’s no tommorow and thus you’re causing MORE spread

What say you?

You should praise him fir not listening to liberal lies and exercising their freedom! Praise Trump!

[/sarcasm]

Odd jump to conclusion there about the lawsuit. I don't care enough about this job to care if I lose it or not from that. But there's no guarantee I'll be sued. We'd call the cops before any violence or pepper spraying becomes necessary.

People sue for any reason these days. There's no guarantee you'll be sued, but it is possible.

Calling the cops is definitely the best course of action.

If that (bolded above) is the case then the OP point is moot.

Back during the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic where 650,000 Americans died, something like OP happened.

In San Francisco, a man, obviously sick, came at a police officer. The officer told him to put on a mask. The sick man refused so the cop shot and killed him.

No charges were filled against the cop.

No, the low percentage of people with coronavirus (antibody testing shows maybe 10% of the population has had it in the most affected areas) plus the exceeding rareness of severe illness means you cannot express a reasonable fear from a cough. Plus your self defense actions have to be reasonable to stop the unwanted conduct and pepper spray will cause the individual to start tearing coughing and blowing their nose like there’s no tommorow and thus you’re causing MORE spread

You're assuming that everyone has the same information you do and will draw the same conclusions.

Get a turkey baster. Attach a hose to it. Run the hose up to your mask with the end sticking out. Fill the baster bulb with Clorox and place the bulb under your arm. Squirt away.

What say you?
If I were this concerned about covid-19 I would wear an N95 mask, eye cover, and keep hand sanitizer on me. Best overall thing to do in a minor scuffle, especially at work, is let the perp take a few shots and not retaliate. This is so you can sue and cash out, and keep your job.

What say you?

Covid or not every person has a right to defend themselves...

Back during the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic where 650,000 Americans died, something like OP happened.

In San Francisco, a man, obviously sick, came at a police officer. The officer told him to put on a mask. The sick man refused so the cop shot and killed him.

No charges were filled against the cop.

It was 1919... cops would regularly execute perps back then...

I make it a point not to touch people's phones if they ask my questions about it. When someone spouts of conspiracy theories, we just nod our heads and say we agree with them (even though they are wearing masks the whole time). They eventually get their product and leave.

What are conspiracy theories?

We'd call the cops before any violence or pepper spraying becomes necessary.
That's cute. Like a kid saying "I'd dodge the bullets if someone shot at me."

Yes, it's a TV show but it's pretty plausible as a timeline of how things could happen in a violent encounter, but here's a video someone posted above:

Tell me, in the 9 seconds from when the character enters the room to the time spray was deployed, at what point would you have called the cops and at what point would they have arrived?

What say you?

Some guy was recently charged w/ some sort of felony for covid-coughing on a civilian
Someone else was charged with some sort of assault for doing that to a cop

So, perhaps the law recognizes the dangers related to spreading contagion as being among the other dangers to someone's person.

I'm unable to think of a compelling reason why contagion should be separated from the other dangers.

What say you?

Depends on the law in your state. If someone grabs me here in the state of Maryland...or makes an offensive physical physical contact or does so in the intent to frighten, then it is a misdemeanor (2nd degree assault). So, if someone were to try to sneeze on me, that could be deemed as assault, 2nd degree.

Some guy was recently charged w/ some sort of felony for covid-coughing on a civilian
Someone else was charged with some sort of assault for doing that to a cop

So, perhaps the law recognizes the dangers related to spreading contagion as being among the other dangers to someone's person.

I'm unable to think of a compelling reason why contagion should be separated from the other dangers.

One compelling reason might be whether or not the one doing the coughing is contagious for any disease.

Back
Top Bottom