• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

masectomy to prevent cancer

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I heard another blurb on TV last night about Angelina and her mastectomy and it got me thinking. Recently I went in for a colon thing and they found and removed polyps, several of which were the bad kind that can turn into cancer. Maybe I should have my colon removed instead of getting regular colon checks so I don't get colon cancer. WTF Angelina? SHEEEESH Big dummy.

I heard another blurb on TV last night about Angelina and her mastectomy and it got me thinking. Recently I went in for a colon thing and they found and removed polyps, several of which were the bad kind that can turn into cancer. Maybe I should have my colon removed instead of getting regular colon checks so I don't get colon cancer. WTF Angelina? SHEEEESH Big dummy.

Your colonoscopy will prevent colon cancer. A mammogram will not. Nothing will prevent breast cancer. She's certainly a high-profile example of women who choose to do this, but she's far from the only example.

If a woman has the BRAC1 or BRAC2 gene anomoly, her mother or sister had/have breast cancer, it is many times more likely that she will develop breast cancer. Some people cannot live with that stress in their lives. Don't judge 'em 'til you've walked in their shoes.

If you could cut off your index finger to be pretty sure your pecker wouldn't fall off, you'd be pointin' with a completely different finger.

Your colonoscopy will prevent colon cancer. A mammogram will not. Nothing will prevent breast cancer. She's certainly a high-profile example of women who choose to do this, but she's far from the only example.

If a woman has the BRAC1 or BRAC2 gene anomoly, her mother or sister had/have breast cancer, it is many times more likely that she will develop breast cancer. Some people cannot live with that stress in their lives. Don't judge 'em 'til you've walked in their shoes.

If you could cut off your index finger to be pretty sure your pecker wouldn't fall off, you'd be pointin' with a completely different finger.

At first glance this seems like an excellent response and I am tempted to withdraw my question. My brains still a bit foggy though so I will mull this over on my morning MT bike ride, see what I come up with.

Personally, I try never to judge or abuse people who make personal life and health choices of their own, even if I may not make the same choice. In this case, Jolie has chosen her own path, a path that gives her the most comfort as she proceeds with her life - her choices were ones I'd never want to make, and let's not forget that men get breast cancer too, although it's far more rare.

I never much liked the woman as an actress, but I have a lot of respect for her being so open and honest in such a bright spotlight and also using her fame to help others who may find themselves in the same situation. I'd much rather see a famous person talk about personal health choices like this than hear them bleat about Obama and/or Bush.

My mother died from a brain tumor.

Cancer is a horrible condition. Our body attacking itself. When it chooses to do so, it's just too darned efficient. I'm sorry about your mom.

Cancer is a horrible condition. Our body attacking itself. When it chooses to do so, it's just too darned efficient. I'm sorry about your mom.
Thanks. Glio blastoma. The same thing Ted Kennedy had. It's very fast, and always fatal. After witnessing some years of my father's suffering, I was appreciative of the speed for her sake. The larger point, however, is that I don't think I'm going to cut my head off in order to avoid that particular cancer.

My mother died from a brain tumor.

Yeah, my dad did too. Fortunately, for him, he didn't live long enough to experience the devastating effects from the tumor, which was deep in his brain, and would have rendered him immobile, and unable to do essentially anything at all.

On the op question, I don't personally care what women want to do with their breasts, If they are afraid of cancer to the point that they can't live with the uncertainty, then I guess having them removed is the solution for them.

Yeah, my dad did too. Fortunately, for him, he didn't live long enough to experience the devastating effects from the tumor, which was deep in his brain, and would have rendered him immobile, and unable to do essentially anything at all.
Sorry to hear that. My mother lived less than a month from the diagnosis - surgery was involved, and it didn't go well. The tumor was insidious in that the way it grew masked it's presence until after it had grown through the midline of the brain and impacted the frontal lobes. Ugly thing on the scans. Had the surgery been successful, my mother would only have had six months maybe, anyway, and it would have been torture for her. There are things worse than death. I've seen some of them. I can understand preventive surgery where the indications might dictate it, but really, it's impossible to truly know what you may face later in life. I can't imagine having your breasts removed only to discover pancreatic cancer or something else completely unrelated to what is feared. We all die from something eventually.

Thanks. Glio blastoma. The same thing Ted Kennedy had. It's very fast, and always fatal. After witnessing some years of my father's suffering, I was appreciative of the speed for her sake. The larger point, however, is that I don't think I'm going to cut my head off in order to avoid that particular cancer.

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:

While losing a parent is painful and sad, sometimes you hope for speed, for their sake! Sorry about your Mom. :peace: And I'm happy you've opted not to go too radical on us. You just wouldn't look the same without your head, you know! And you would be sorely missed!

Why is she a dummy? If she didn't share the information, you would never even know. She has more than enough money for "replacement" breasts, and she still looks beautiful.

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:

While losing a parent is painful and sad, sometimes you hope for speed, for their sake! Sorry about your Mom. :peace: And I'm happy you've opted not to go too radical on us. You just wouldn't look the same without your head, you know! And you would be sorely missed!
Many of us have already seen enough suffering to understand the desire for a swift end. And I have lost my head before, but it came back eventually. There are those who'd say with enthusiasm that I may have looked better without it. They're mean and nasty people with no mitigating virtues at all though.

Many of us have already seen enough suffering to understand the desire for a swift end. And I have lost my head before, but it came back eventually. There are those who'd say with enthusiasm that I may have looked better without it. They're mean and nasty people with no mitigating virtues at all though.

As always, you've given me my laugh for the day! :thumbs:

As long as you can always find your head again, on an as-needed basis, you're good. :lol:

As long as you can always find your head again, on an as-needed basis, you're good. :lol:
Fortunately, I don't use it much, so it's absences aren't a cause for serious concern.

OK Maggie, here's what I came up with and it came to me within the first mile. As you so succinctly pointed out my colon analogy was somewhat flawed so try this on for size. I get a checkup every year where the doc feels up my testicles, dick and prostate. Maybe I should just have all that stuff removed and then I would never get those cancers which are all very common in men especially as we get older. Now here's your hat, there's the door, don't let it hit you in the derrière on your way out of here. HA! :lol:

I've noticed with some people when they lose their head they just have to turn around and check out their ass and it's up there, good as new, just needs to be relocated where it belongs.

My condolences about how your mom passed - I've been fortunate not to have any issues with cancer in my family but I have had coworkers who suffered greatly from the disease in one of its forms and it's seldom a nice way to go.

OK Maggie, here's what I came up with and it came to me within the first mile. As you so succinctly pointed out my colon analogy was somewhat flawed so try this on for size. I get a checkup every year where the doc feels up my testicles, dick and prostate. Maybe I should just have all that stuff removed and then I would never get those cancers which are all very common in men especially as we get older. Now here's your hat, there's the door, don't let it hit you in the derrière on your way out of here. HA! :lol:

Oh, yeah, like that'd happen. :rofl

Do you know that a significant number of men die each year because they opt for more conservative prostate cancer treatment? Because they won't risk the surgical option for fear of loss of USE of some of those appendages you speak of? They can have prostate cancer! And STILL they will opt for the conservative treatments. In some cases, it makes sense. The younger the man at diagnosis? The less sense it makes.

238,000 men will get diagnosed with prostate cancer this year. (29,000 will die)
7,900 men will get diagnosed with testicular cancer this year. (370 will die)
1,290 men will get diagnosed with cancer of the penis this year. (310 will die)

1 in 8 women will contract breast cancer in their lives. BRAC1 and BRAC2 gene abnormalities put those women at MUCH higher risk than one in eight.

300,000 women will get diagnosed with breast cancer this year. (40,000 will die)

Do you see a difference?

- I've been fortunate not to have any issues with cancer in my family but I have had coworkers who suffered greatly from the disease in one of its forms and it's seldom a nice way to go.

There seems to be an issue with brain lesions of various types in my family. My neice had a vascular tumor near the brainstem. My nephew had a huge benign tumor of the cerebellum, and my dad had a primary brain tumor which was deep in his brain. I told my son that if I ever started exhibiting neurological signs, to get my head examined. :lol:

Oh, yeah, like that'd happen. :rofl

Do you know that a significant number of men die each year because they opt for more conservative prostate cancer treatment? Because they won't risk the surgical option for fear of loss of USE of some of those appendages you speak of? They can have prostate cancer! And STILL they will opt for the conservative treatments. In some cases, it makes sense. The younger the man at diagnosis? The less sense it makes.

238,000 men will get diagnosed with prostate cancer this year. (29,000 will die)
7,900 men will get diagnosed with testicular cancer this year. (370 will die)
1,290 men will get diagnosed with cancer of the penis this year. (310 will die)

1 in 8 women will contract breast cancer in their lives. BRAC1 and BRAC2 gene abnormalities put those women at MUCH higher risk than one in eight.

300,000 women will get diagnosed with breast cancer this year. (40,000 will die)

Do you see a difference?

I may need another bike ride.

There seems to be an issue with brain lesions of various types in my family. My neice had a vascular tumor near the brainstem. My nephew had a huge benign tumor of the cerebellum, and my dad had a primary brain tumor which was deep in his brain. I told my son that if I ever started exhibiting neurological signs, to get my head examined. :lol:

I gave you a like for the last sentence although the first part is very scary for both you and your family. I hope you are the one that changes the trend and you and your son move on to the cancer free stage of your family's history.

:lol: :lol:

OK Maggie, how about THIS? Maybe men should have their prostates removed, we have a bigger chance of prostate cancer than women do breast cancer,who needs erections anyway? :lol:

"Depending on what study you look at, the chance of a man being diagnosed with prostate cancer sometime in his life is about one in five or six. That’s a sobering number in itself, but here’s something more to think about. A recent autopsy study on the incidence of prostate cancer shows that it is present even in men as young as 20. And although this may seem shocking, it can pave the way to a better understanding of what causes prostate cancer and, therefore, how you can prevent it."

All Men Get Prostate Cancer: What Are You Going Do About It? : Easy Health Options

OK Maggie, how about THIS? Maybe men should have their prostates removed, we have a bigger chance of prostate cancer than women do breast cancer,who needs erections anyway? :lol:

"Depending on what study you look at, the chance of a man being diagnosed with prostate cancer sometime in his life is about one in five or six. That’s a sobering number in itself, but here’s something more to think about. A recent autopsy study on the incidence of prostate cancer shows that it is present even in men as young as 20. And although this may seem shocking, it can pave the way to a better understanding of what causes prostate cancer and, therefore, how you can prevent it."

All Men Get Prostate Cancer: What Are You Going Do About It? : Easy Health Options

All joking aside, I didn't know a man's chance of prostate cancer was that high. Prostate cancer can be very slow-growing. I think female hormones are part of the conservative regime (or maybe either regime). But if a young man gets prostate cancer? He'd better do his homework. It is likely a much more aggressive form and surgery may well be the very best option for cure and/or longevity. Surgery. With all its uncomfortable risks.

Back
Top Bottom