• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Masa Anti Assimilation Ads Yanked

Mira

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Did this really happen ??? how could such a thing happen in the first place?
I'm proud of the Jewish people who protested against this ridiculous and discriminating ad campaign.

------------------------------
A unique anti-assimilation project launched by the Jewish Agency for Israel on local television has drawn such a barrage of protest from Jews and self-proclaimed Jews from outside the country that the agency's chairman, Natan Sharansky, decided finally to yank the ad and halt the public relations campaign.

In the first few days of the campaign, only a few bits of the video clip were presented, with pictures and names entitled "lost." A few days later, the second part of the clip was added, stating that "more than 50 percent of young Jews living in the Diaspora are assimilating, are getting lost."

Full story and video of the ad here:

Anti-Assimilation Campaign Under Fire - Jewish World - Israel News - Israel National News

there are also other links

Israel: Anti-assimilation ads yanked over uproar - Israel Jewish Scene, Ynetnews

Israel: anti-assimilation ads yanked over uproar - Yahoo! News

Ohh so that's what it was.

I've seen that ad on TV a few days ago.
At start it used to just be a short version of the ad, so I thought it's simply a promo to some new crappy reality show that's called "Lost" or something like that, so I didn't pay too much attention to it.
But when the full version of the ad started airing on TV, it really made me arch an eyebrow.

I realize the cause and reason for this ad and what's behind it, but this is certainly not the way to go around it.
A good thing that this ad was taken off and is no longer presented on TV.

I realize the cause and reason for this ad and what's behind it, but this is certainly not the way to go around it.
A good thing that this ad was taken off and is no longer presented on TV.

So you agree with the principle but not with the way it was done ? Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding you .

People do have a right to voluntary collectivism, to brainwashing their children into an irrational religion, and even to secessionist ethnocentrism.

They do not have a right to initiate aggression, however, and that is something that various movements within the Jewish community have frequently done... :(

So you agree with the principle but not with the way it was done ? Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding you .
I realize there's a problem, but I don't think that's the way to deal with it.

I also do not agree that inter-marriage between Jews and non-Jews is a bad thing, this is simply ridiculous.

I realize there's a problem, but I don't think that's the way to deal with it.

Please elaborate, I'm still not getting your point. What is the problem that you're talking about ?

edit: sorry I just read the line that you added after I had quoted you. I understand better now.

Last edited:
Please elaborate, I'm still not getting your point. What is the problem that you're talking about ?
There is a decrease in the number of diaspora Jews (Jews who do not live in Israel) who do Aliyah and come to Israel.

My point is that this ad is trying to point a finger at the intermarriage of Jews and non-Jews, as if it has anything to do with it.

I don't understand why less diaspora Jews moving to Israel is seen as such a problem. :confused:

Is the birth rate in Israel so low that a high level of immigration is needed?

I don't understand why less diaspora Jews moving to Israel is seen as such a problem. :confused:

Is the birth rate in Israel so low that a high level of immigration is needed?

The problem is that with high birth rate of Arabs, Israel will eventually lose its Jewish identity.

The problem is that with high birth rate of Arabs, Israel will eventually lose its Jewish identity.

I thought Israel was 75+ Jewish

I also do not agree that inter-marriage between Jews and non-Jews is a bad thing, this is simply ridiculous.

I didn't realise Jews had a problem with intermarriage but i suppose i should have figured seeing it has the same mentality as Muslims do

I didn't realise Jews had a problem with intermarriage but i suppose i should have figured seeing it has the same mentality as Muslims do
Judaism has, of course.
Jews, as people who are from the Jewish ethnicity, usually don't, and this came as a big surprise to me.

Judaism has, of course.
Jews, as people who are from the Jewish ethnicity, usually don't, and this came as a big surprise to me.

Ah i think i see the difference. I mix them both up, i always see 'Jews' as a religious group rather than a ethnicity.

Why did it come as a surprise?

Ah i think i see the difference. I mix them both up, i always see 'Jews' as a religious group rather than a ethnicity.

Why did it come as a surprise?
Because it wasn't a discussed matter in Israeli politics, and it wasn't something that really worried anyone.
And especially because they gave the inter-marriage as the main reason for why the percent of diaspora Jews who immigrate to Israel is decreasing, which is not really the truth.

Yeah, I just quickly looked into that. That would eventually become a problem, especially considering that Israeli Arabs are much less likely than Jews to leave the country and emigrate elsewhere. Apparently, (this is from Wikipedia, so take it for whatever it's worth), a significant number of Jews who had previously moved to Israel are leaving the country.

So, I understand the concern a little better now, but the way they tried to go about it with this ad totally blew up in their faces and with good reason. An ad like this one is not going to make those who left come back and it might even push many to pick up and leave.

If someone can explain this mess to me I'd be grateful.

Israel was created in order for the Jewish people who have been persecuted for centuries to have a place where they can call home, fine and understandable.

There are countries until today where Jews are persecuted and they are most welcome to move to Israel.

However, those who are just fine and happy where they are, marry Jews or non Jews, why would they ever even think of moving to an unstable Middle East ?

I know many Israelis who have fled Israel. There will certainly be more and of course there will also be newcomers into Israel.

Apparently, with the low rate of immigration and birth rates, in the long run the non Jewish population of Israel will surpass that of Jews. This is where the problem is and this is what the ad campaign was trying to prevent.

So in other words, if things are left to follow their natural flow, eventually the Jewish population in Israel will become a minority.

The only solution that I can see is to very rigidly separate the land by caging the non Jews into a closed territory (that's already done) and the other would be to chase the non Jews from Jewish territory (work in progress). That way the non Jewish territory will have to handle the problem of overpopulation while the Jewish territory will be normally populated and manageable.

All of that is fine and dandy, but then remains the problem of the Jewish settlers. Their birth rate is very high and they will expend within the non Jewish territory. So what is Israel going to do about that in order to play a fair game ?

Another matter that intrigues me,

A few years ago I was in a relationship with an Israeli man. I wanted him to move to France but he wouldn't. Eventually, through a non Jewish friend in Israel who worked for a news agency, I was offered a job opportunity in his company in Jerusalem.

My question is, apart from a specific job opportunity, would I have been able as a non Jew to actually move to Israel ? through marriage perhaps ?

I do have a dual nationality, so my Arab passport wouldn't be the problem as I could get in with my French passport.

A lot of Palestinians and Arabs in the diaspora carry double nationalities as well. How easy or difficult is it for them to move to Israel through jobs or marriage ?

I've got a better solution to increase the percentage of Jews in Israel: abandon the colonies in West Bank and repatriate the settlers.

I've got a better solution to increase the percentage of Jews in Israel: abandon the colonies in West Bank and repatriate the settlers.

Yeppers, available, patriotic and reproduce like rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom