• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maryland School Board Bans Display Of LGBTQ Pride Flags On School Property

Does the Carroll County gay pride flag ban violate 1st Amendment rights?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkyChief

USN Veteran
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Carroll County school board voted to ban the display of political flags, including LGBTQ pride flags, on school property. The policy would only affect the school buildings themselves. Students will still be allowed to display pride flags on their person.

Some teachers and parents expressed concern about the pride flag being displayed inside some county classrooms.

"We can be accepting of each person’s sexuality and personal identification. But what I will not accept is over-sexualizing the classroom." said one parent.

Confederate flags and Nazi flags were already prohibited.

source: https://nbc25news.com/news/nation-w...sey-confederate-nazi-flags-already-prohibited

Carroll County school board voted to ban the display of political flags, including LGBTQ pride flags, on school property. The policy would only affect the school buildings themselves. Students will still be allowed to display pride flags on their person.

Some teachers and parents expressed concern about the pride flag being displayed inside some county classrooms.

"We can be accepting of each person’s sexuality and personal identification. But what I will not accept is over-sexualizing the classroom." said one parent.

source: https://nbc25news.com/news/nation-w...sey-confederate-nazi-flags-already-prohibited
I guess Skittles (taste the Rainbow) aren't allowed either?

No. Insofar as I am aware, the First Amendment does not apply to government officers while they are on the clock, or using public buildings for partisan or political movements.

A school can prohibit a teacher from discussing their political opinions with the children in their classroom (who are a captive audience).

Except, of course, that claiming the “LGBT flag” is even remotely equivalent to the Confederate flag is incredibly stupid.

And no, the presence of a perfectly normal flag is not “sexualizing” anything.

Except, of course, that claiming the “LGBT flag” is even remotely equivalent to the Confederate flag is incredibly stupid.

And what is wrong with a battle flag?

1654991848492.png

Only one flag belongs on schools and its not Trump's, the Stars and Bars or some religious flag.
It us only the USA flag.
Sadly we have 50 differant states and as ridiculous and unhealthy as that is, I suppose that flag is ok too.

Only one flag belongs on schools and its not Trump's, the Stars and Bars or some religious flag.
It us only the USA flag.
Sadly we have 50 differant states and as ridiculous and unhealthy as that is, I suppose that flag is ok too.
The following are the flags (and banners) that ARE allowed in Carroll County schools:
  • The Maryland flag
  • The Carroll County flag
  • Flags that are used as a part of a temporary unit of study within the approved curriculum
  • Flags or banners that denote recognition of achievement and are approved by the Superintendent
  • Sport tournament banners recognizing the participation of a school team
  • Banners from colleges or universities or professional sports teams
  • Flags representing the many nations of the World (but these must be displayed less prominently than the US flag)

ok

Are equal rights political? I guess so when one major political party is all about fascism.

Gay and trans kids have it tough. Teachers showing solidarity with them is good for their mental health. Anyone opposed to this is cruel and unusual.

The Confederate flag is about building walls. The rainbow flag is about building bridges.

No. Insofar as I am aware, the First Amendment does not apply to government officers while they are on the clock, or using public buildings for partisan or political movements.

A school can prohibit a teacher from discussing their political opinions with the children in their classroom (who are a captive audience).

I may be wrong but I'd assume the policy in most schools would be that teachers only talk about politics in actual political based subjects.
I don't remember my teachers ever mentioning politics or giving an opinion on their political leaning.

The Confederate flag is about building walls. The rainbow flag is about building bridges.
Nah pretty sure it was about being a mentally ill degenerate and exposing yourself in broad daylight while yelling "I'm gay accept me!!" being accompanied by a few hundred other exhibitionists who blatantly ignore the law.

Pretending the pride parade hasn't long since been hijacked by crazies is pure projection/deflection. Most of these people want to vent their hatred for the religious right and heterosexuality at large, and the extreme sects of them have gone so far as to try and attack the heterosexual pride parade (an obvious troll) to the point that they got arrested in Boston, and when demanded to put on clothes back in 2013 they protested #righttobebare. Both the far-right and the far-left are crazy and insane. No reason to hold them to different standards.

If the same standards of public decency were enforced at the LGBTQ+ pride parades the ban can be reconsidered, Maryland is doing a good job keeping this degeneracy off campus as far as I'm concerned.

They don't want dumpster fire school board meetings and getting voted out of the job. Smart move.

Wow……

😂 only controversial to talibornagains.
How clever of you.

Would you support your local school(s) supporting a particular political cause...especially if it's one you don't like?

The only purpose of the flag is to represent Sexual Orientation, etc.

This just seems needlessly cruel to me. A pride flag is not the same thing as a Confederate Flag or a Nazi Flag. In fact, any such comparison is pure bigotry.

LGBT kids are often bullied and many times have a terrible time in school because of how they are treated by others. They may also have parents that are intolerant of their sexual preference.

Personally, I want everyone to live happy lives and to feel accepted. Regardless of someone's race, religion, or sexual preference, I want them to live a life where they are accepted for the person they are. All flying a pride flag says is that there is nothing wrong with being gay.

Back
Top Bottom