• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maryland Officials Ready With Subpoenas in Trump Hotel Case

apdst, the president remains a citizen of the US, if his companies are based out of states, states can come after him and those businesses.

Do you disagree? Lol, song and dance? I haven't had enough milkshakes.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

True, but this has nothing to do with state/district law. I don't know how y'all do it in Canada, but here in the U.S. the states don't have authority over the president. Unless you can show us the law where they do. Can you, Hatuey?

Maryland is a hop, skip and jump from DC....yeah, they will extradite and arrest.

Arrest Federal agents? Um, yeah...I would love to see that happen. :lamo

True, but this has nothing to do with state/district law. I don't know how y'all do it in Canada, but here in the U.S. the states don't have authority over the president. Unless you can show us the law where they do. Can you, Hatuey?

if the business in question is under Maryland jurisdiction, they certainly have the authority.....

if the business in question is under Maryland jurisdiction, they certainly have the authority.....

Only if said business violated Maryland law. Violating The Constitution doesn't fall within Maryland's jurisdiction.

Hell! Violating The Constitution isn't even a crime.

What does any of that have to do with emoluments? Isn't the case the OP is referring to about emoluments?

I know, it's hard for anyone to keep these things separated. The violation of the emoluments clause is a lawsuit brought by over 200 Democratic representatives and senators. A judge ruled that they can sue President Trump over claims he violated the emoluments clause of the Constitution regarding his businesses with foreign governments. This would be under D.C. jurisdiction.

The Southern District of NY will handle all the hard-core stuff like money laundering, tax fraud, campaign contribution fraud, Trump Foundation fraud, bribery, etc.

The subpoenas target 37 entities, including 13 Trump-linked entities and the federal agency that oversees the lease for Trump’s Washington hotel. Subpoenas were also being sent to the Department of Defense, General Services Administration, Department of Commerce, Department of Agriculture and the Treasury Department, which have spent taxpayer dollars at the hotel or have information on Trump’s finances relevant to the case.

Other Trump entities that officials plan to subpoena include those related to his Washington hotel and its management. Eighteen private entities including restaurants, venues and hotels that compete with the Trump hotel are also being subpoenaed in an effort to “illuminate the unfair nature of that competition,” said Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh.

“We are confident that at the end of discovery we will be able to prove our case — that President Trump is violating the Constitution’s emoluments clauses, America’s first anti-corruption laws,” Frosh said in a statement.

While news organizations have reported how groups representing Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and the Philippines have hosted events at Trump’s D.C. hotel since he took office, the subpoenas offer the best chance to get a complete picture of which foreign and domestic governments are spending at the hotel, how much they are spending and where that money is going. They’re also trying to determine how Trump’s hotel is affecting the hospitality industry in the District of Columbia and Maryland.

The subpoenas seek to prove that hotel revenues are going to the president through his affiliated entities, including The Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust. Most of the records are being requested back to Jan. 1, 2015.

The Justice Department declined to comment. Neither the Trump Organization, Trump’s personal attorney on the case, William S. Consovoy, nor the White House responded to a request for comment Tuesday.

https://www.apnews.com/8335d630f04248fe9175f893c6641729

I know, it's hard for anyone to keep these things separated. The violation of the emoluments clause is a lawsuit brought by over 200 Democratic representatives and senators. A judge ruled that they can sue President Trump over claims he violated the emoluments clause of the Constitution regarding his businesses with foreign governments. This would be under D.C. jurisdiction.

The Southern District of NY will handle all the hard-core stuff like money laundering, tax fraud, campaign contribution fraud, Trump Foundation fraud, bribery, etc.

Maryland and D.C. have no jurisdiction, here. Only a Federal court would have jurisdiction and no, a Federal judge can't give a state and the district that jurisdiction.

Did he violate Maryland/D.C. law?

read the link I provided for you....and then tell me...isn't he over Trump hotels right now? Or so Trump said...so if he doesn't comply with a court order, he can be arrested for contempt...and it is a state law he is violating...so he can't be pardoned by Trump.

Maryland and D.C. have no jurisdiction, here. Only a Federal court would have jurisdiction and no, a Federal judge can't give a state and the district that jurisdiction.

Are there or are there not any Trump hotels under Maryland jurisdiction? If there are...of course they can do this.

The subpoenas target 37 entities, including 13 Trump-linked entities and the federal agency that oversees the lease for Trump’s Washington hotel. Subpoenas were also being sent to the Department of Defense, General Services Administration, Department of Commerce, Department of Agriculture and the Treasury Department, which have spent taxpayer dollars at the hotel or have information on Trump’s finances relevant to the case.

Other Trump entities that officials plan to subpoena include those related to his Washington hotel and its management. Eighteen private entities including restaurants, venues and hotels that compete with the Trump hotel are also being subpoenaed in an effort to “illuminate the unfair nature of that competition,” said Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh.

“We are confident that at the end of discovery we will be able to prove our case — that President Trump is violating the Constitution’s emoluments clauses, America’s first anti-corruption laws,” Frosh said in a statement.

While news organizations have reported how groups representing Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and the Philippines have hosted events at Trump’s D.C. hotel since he took office, the subpoenas offer the best chance to get a complete picture of which foreign and domestic governments are spending at the hotel, how much they are spending and where that money is going. They’re also trying to determine how Trump’s hotel is affecting the hospitality industry in the District of Columbia and Maryland.

The subpoenas seek to prove that hotel revenues are going to the president through his affiliated entities, including The Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust. Most of the records are being requested back to Jan. 1, 2015.

The Justice Department declined to comment. Neither the Trump Organization, Trump’s personal attorney on the case, William S. Consovoy, nor the White House responded to a request for comment Tuesday.

Posting an article, with the same information doesn't change the fact that this isn't legal.

Are there or are there not any Trump hotels under Maryland jurisdiction? If there are...of course they can do this.

How many state laws were violated?

If your answer is "no", then they can't do this.

read the link I provided for you....and then tell me...isn't he over Trump hotels right now? Or so Trump said...so if he doesn't comply with a court order, he can be arrested for contempt...and it is a state law he is violating...so he can't be pardoned by Trump.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Maryland/D.C. cops tell the secret service to **** off, so they can arrest Donald Jr. :lamo

Show us the law the gives the Maryland and D.C. AG's authority over the president.

Can't wait to watch this song-n-dance.

Apdst asks questions, knowing the answers and agrees with reasons debunking his entire premise.

This took approximately 3 posts people. It's not hard to expose a Trump supporter's ignorance.

Irrelevant, without violating Maryland/D.C. law.

What's going to happen? The Maryland State Police are going to go to The White House and arrest the president?
I dont think they could even do that much.

Their best bet would be to issue a bench warrant and then call Dog the bounty hunter

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but I have to vehemently disagree with your erroneous statement. But I have to ask what are you talking about "Maryland and D.C. have no jurisdiction here". What do you mean by 'here'? Jurisdictional issues are straightforward—the crime occurs within a particular state’s boundaries, violating that state’s laws, and therefore giving that state the power to prosecute. Violation of the emoluments clause is a federal offense and subject to federal jurisdiction and will be heard in a federal court.

I'm sorry, but I have to vehemently disagree with your erroneous statement. But I have to ask what are you talking about "Maryland and D.C. have no jurisdiction here". What do you mean by 'here'? Jurisdictional issues are straightforward—the crime occurs within a particular state’s boundaries, violating that state’s laws, and therefore giving that state the power to prosecute. Violation of the emoluments clause is a federal offense and subject to federal jurisdiction and will be heard in a federal court.

"Here" is a violation of The Constitution. Maryland and D.C. have zero authority to prosecute such a violation.

Is this what it's come down to? The states are going to prosecute the president, or anyone else for that matter, for violating The Constitution?

Even if trump is profiting from it, you need more than that to prove the charge. You have to prove trump is directing people to stay at his hotel in exchange for something.

On the bright side it will keep the anti-trumpers occupied and out of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Apdst asks questions, knowing the answers and agrees with reasons debunking his entire premise.

This took approximately 3 posts people. It's not hard to expose a Trump supporter's ignorance.

I knew you couldn't do anything. Thanks for playing.

I knew you couldn't do anything. Thanks for playing.
I just did - did you miss it? Figures.

I just did - did you miss it? Figures.

Look, Hatuey, I know it's cold up there, but you're going to have to do better than that.

Look, Hatuey, I know it's cold up there, but you're going to have to do better than that.
What would temperature have to do with you agreeing that the president and his companies can still be investigated/prosecuted/convicted at the state level? Are you now saying they cannot be after having they could be?

You're a worse lawyer than Saul.

"Here" is a violation of The Constitution. Maryland and D.C. have zero authority to prosecute such a violation.

Is this what it's come down to? The states are going to prosecute the president, or anyone else for that matter, for violating The Constitution?

You don't know what you're talking about. Show me some article or something else that you're getting the information that D.C. doesn't have the authority to prosecute violations of the emoluments clause.

"is this what it comes down to" This is what we've been trying to get through your Trumpster brains for 2 years. He's not only accountable to the U.S. Government for crimes, he's accountable to the State of N.Y. for criminal charges as well. It's true he can't be indicted while president but once he's out of office he's going to be criminally charged on multiple counts.

You're conflating the two occurrences the case of the violation of the emoluments clause in Washington, D.C. and the other charges that the Southern District of NY will bring against Trump's businesses and foundation. They are two entirely different things.

Last edited:
The demand should be to require the petitioner to PAY the cost of each company to each company in advance for the costs of what is subpoenaed at the same rate the government charges per page of a photocopy, which generally is minimally $1 per page - plus usually the manpower costs of doing so. The other companies are not even party to the lawsuit in terms of any claim of wrongdoing - and even if they are still demanding to be paid the cost of assembling a MASSIVE volume of material is usually the court's ruling.

The Democratic Party and Democratic elements of government are making no secret that they will destroy anyone in the Trump family, anyone in any association with President Trump and any company and financial institute that deals with President Trump in true Gestapo tactics.

This is still another extreme example of a growing list of cases in search of a crime.

Don't you think every American should have to prove they are not a criminal and should be treated as one until they do so to the satisfaction of their enemies?

Back
Top Bottom