• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maryland man sentenced to jail after holding large gathering, authorities say

I do not agree with your overall viewpoint; i.e. others must live life subservient to your personal fears and whims about a malady with a 99% survival rate. You will not receive from me an answer to such inane comparative inquisition.

So you don't believe in law and order. Got it. Oh wait!
Are you just hypocritical? Do you believe in law and order if you agree with the laws?

What arrogance. Deplorable.

The man and his 50 guests should have taken to the street because we all know when thousands gather to riot, burn, loot, get in peoples faces, there is no way to spread the virus. You can’t get the virus when you are gathering for a social cause, only when you gather for a beer. Just ask the Nashville mayor.
This is another example of a politician with no common sense.

I have a feeling there is something more to this story, maybe physical confrontation with police?

This is not about protests but do fallacy away. It's all you've got.

A year in jail is a bit much. I think that fines and community service could suffice here. Make him volunteer at the hospital or something.

does it list his priors? That may be a big part of the sentence.

While you expect all others to live life subservient to your fears and whims, may you benefit ten fold that which you wish for others.
Wish what you want, I don't tolerate fools very easily. Anyone with a mask who looks at me, in my opinion might as well be saying **** you to me.

He'll get a probated sentence and won't go to jail unless he violates his probation.

WP paywall won't let me read the link, but I still doubt that he's going to be locked up for four months.

This article has more detail anyway...

A Maryland man has been sentenced to a year behind bars after being found guilty of multiple counts of failure to comply with an emergency order.

The Charles County Sheriff's Office says 42-year-old Shawn Marshall Myers hosted a gathering of between 50 and 60 people on March 22 at his Hughesville home, in violation of Gov. Larry Hogan's prohibition on large gatherings of people that was in effect at the time.

"Myers was argumentative with officers but eventually agreed to disband his party," according to the county State's Attorney.

Less than a week later, though, on March 27, officers responded to his home again for another report of a party exceeding 50 people.

"Officers told Myers to disband the party, but again he was argumentative claiming he and his guests had the right to congregate," the State's Attorney says. "Beyond being argumentative, Myers directed his guests to stay in defiance of Governor Hogan’s Orders and the officers’ lawful orders to disband the party."

This time, he was arrested.

On Friday, after a bench trial before District Court Judge W. Louis Hennessy, Myers was convicted of two counts of Failure to Comply with an Emergency Order and sentenced to a year of active incarceration to be served at the Charles County Detention Center. Upon release, Myers will be on unsupervised probation for a period of three years.

And there you have it. A person whose beliefs will drag this thing on longer and cause much more personal and financial damage to our country (our team). While, of course, he receives CentGov welfare.
And there you have it. A person whose beliefs will drag this thing on longer and cause much more personal and financial damage to our country (our team). While, of course, he receives CentGov welfare.

Not one of Your stated Fears, Whims, and Assumptions have factual basis.

Wish what you want, I don't tolerate fools very easily. Anyone with a mask who looks at me, in my opinion might as well be saying **** you to me.

I wish nothing for you or against you other than peace and happiness in your life; though, being a man I do not get as emotional about it as you and have no ill will toward those who choose to wear a mask.

Some of these cases are going to end up in the higher courts and it seems likely a lot of these bans will be found to be unconstitutional in either their overreach or their selective application.

You can't be out on the street cheering on protests one day and prosecuting people for gathering the next.

Some of these cases are going to end up in the higher courts and it seems likely a lot of these bans will be found to be unconstitutional in either their overreach or their selective application.

You can't be out on the street cheering on protests one day and prosecuting people for gathering the next.

They aren’t unconstitutional and will be upheld.

They aren’t unconstitutional and will be upheld.

Oh, well thanks.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile...

Oh, well thanks.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile...

You should research further...

Not one of Your stated Fears, Whims, and Assumptions have factual basis.

you mean other than more COVID means more deaths (and hurts families) and the more infections the less businesses can operate in a close to normal manner?

other than logical stuff like that?

you mean other than more COVID means more deaths (and hurts families) and the more infections the less businesses can operate in a close to normal manner?

I could make similar arguments against automobiles. Allowing them means more deaths. Does this mean governors have unencumbered authority to ban them without legislative actions?

Maybe some enjoy doing so;
Some enjoy being victims,
Many live in constant fear.
Being a man, I do Not.

A 99% survival rate is hardly a 'end times' pandemic !
And you always cross roads at a corner with a pedestrian light too, eh ?
Icus are still crowded with covid. 6 months into this....and we have flu season coming up.

Icus are still crowded with covid. 6 months into this....and we have flu season coming up.
Actually, very few icu are near capacity. flu season ? meh ..
99% survival rate says it all...
just too many fearful folk... wanting Daddy to take care of them..
and complaining that he is not doing it.

I could make similar arguments against automobiles. Allowing them means more deaths. Does this mean governors have unencumbered authority to ban them without legislative actions?

Do you drive 150mph?

Maybe some enjoy doing so;
Some enjoy being victims,
Many live in constant fear.
Being a man, I do Not.

Or some respect the lives of living and breathing Americans and wanted to stop this thing in it's tracks but your boy made sanity political and thus caused 10s of thousands of extra Americans (tons of Republicans) to needlessly die and thus to much more severely affect our economy/small businesses.

You guys ****ed up royalty. Our great grandkids won't be able to understand your idiocy during a pandemic.

Or some respect the lives of living and breathing Americans and wanted to stop this thing in it's tracks but your boy made sanity political and thus caused 10s of thousands of extra Americans (tons of Republicans) to needlessly die and thus to much more severely affect our economy/small businesses.

You guys ****ed up royalty. Our great grandkids won't be able to understand your idiocy during a pandemic.

Probably, they will suffer bewilderment at your reaction to a malady with a 99% survival rate.. They will probably be agape at the fruitless stupidity of those who whined that Daddy Don didn't tell them what to do, take care of them, and give them lollipops to comfort their ridiculous fears.

Yeah, but the real trick was to make so many of those deaths occur in states run by Democrats.

A full year is a bit much, but maybe he could spent a few weeks in to drill it into his thick head.

Back
Top Bottom