• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mary Peltola crushes Sarah Palin.

Peltola won the urban districts, as you'd expect from a Democrat. But she also won the outlying districts, due I guess to being a Native American ...

image_2022-11-24_174226694.png

Peltola is 49 and has worked in Alaskan politics since she was 23, notably as a State House representative. Dems certainly picked the right woman this time.

Damn....I thought someone accidentally put up a picture of Caitlyn Jenner.

Good lord, she has not aged well.

Damn....I thought someone accidentally put up a picture of Caitlyn Jenner.

Good lord, she has not aged well.

I'm no fan of Palin (she's too dumb for politics) however, it's not a fair comparison. That's not her official campaign pic.

Fair point.

Still though.....that would have been a hell of a photoshop job.

Here's a pic from her campaign website:

image_2022-11-24_192114139.png

... though, there is a grey filter. If I were her, I would never wear sunglasses.

This was 2008:

image_2022-11-24_193046945.png

The 'Rudy Guiliani' look is even worse on a woman.

For me, it was his judgment. I expect a President to have the character to put our nation's hands in trust of the right successor should the President be incapacitated. The moment McCain declared that Sarah Palin was the BEST person (amongst 300+ million) to lead our nation in his absence, I realized that his judgment was, at the end of the day, poor.

There were hundreds... thousands of stronger candidates he could have picked. It's unfortunate that he threw that election away, but that was his decision, not ours.
I remember all those years ago sitting around with friends when McCain made his announcement. I said right then, Obama just won the election.

That was a major oopsie for McCain. I too was interested in voting for him.

Most people don't care enough about the VP candidate to change their vote. Was it McCain's age and health which made Palin significant to you?

Yes. Plus the absolute insult she presented.
She was opposite everything I taught my kids.
Its ok to get knocked up in high school, drug and drink, being an uneducated fool, give birth in your 40s, never take responsibility for your personal failing.

Most people don't care enough about the VP candidate to change their vote. Was it McCain's age and health which made Palin significant to you?
I did end up voting for McCain but Palin and Joe the Plumber almost changed my mind.

It. Wasn't. Even. Close.

I guess Alaska decided that they didnt want a House Rep that had never read a book. Good for them, I must admit I'm impressed. Alaska not known for its forward thinking in elections from what I'm remembering, although I may be mistaken on this.

Yes. Plus the absolute insult she presented.
She was opposite everything I taught my kids.
Its ok to get knocked up in high school, drug and drink, being an uneducated fool, give birth in your 40s, never take responsibility for your personal failing.

I'm relatively forgiving of what people did in their teens and early twenties. Unless they murdered someone, it's not really indicative of character but rather an upbringing which is too soft or too hard but in either case did not prepare them for adult life.

By the age a person is eligible to be President though, there has been plenty of time for them to catch up their education. It maybe doesn't matter so much now (she was running for Representative not Vice President) but at the time it was a huge strike against her.

Quitting the Governorship of Alaska was also a bad look. If the accusations of corruption weren't well-founded, why didn't she hang in for the remainder of her term? And if she'd already secretly got an offer from McCain, why keep it secret?

I guess Alaska decided that they didnt want a House Rep that had never read a book. Good for them, I must admit I'm impressed. Alaska not known for its forward thinking in elections from what I'm remembering, although I may be mistaken on this.

Well they elected Murkowski even when there was a Democrat and a Republican running against her. So they're not blindly partisan.

Peltola is a new name to me, but I'm guessing not to Alaskans. She's paid her dues in the State House and has likely campaigned a lot in the outer districts where Native Americans are most common. Compared to her, Palin is a show pony who can't wait to get to Washington.

Palin was a terrible candidate, don't get me wrong. But some credit has to go to the Democrat who somehow won Alaska at-large. The previous Republican Don Young had held it since 1973! (He died in office aged 88.)

I found this interesting.

First Round:
Mary Peltola(D) [1] 74,807 39.66%
Sarah Palin(R) [1] 58,328 30.93%
Nick Begich(R) [1] 52,504 27.84%
Write-in [1] 2,971 1.58%

Wikipedia does not distinguish between Begich and Write-in, but it doesn't matter.

Final Round:
Nick Begich + Write-In votes distributed this way:
—> Peltola +[2] 16,399 91,206 51.47%
—> Palin +[2] 27,659 85,987 48.53%

More than a third of the Republican voters went to Peltola when they couldn't have their first choice of Begich.

Besides giving more power to voters, this is something I love about Ranked Choice. You can see inside the party blocs, and see what they really think about individual candidates. I hope Republicans don't take this as a sign that Ranked Choice is biased against them: it could easily have gone the other way if two Democrats and one Republican had qualified.

I found this interesting.

First Round:
Mary Peltola(D) [1] 74,807 39.66%
Sarah Palin(R) [1] 58,328 30.93%
Nick Begich(R) [1] 52,504 27.84%
Write-in [1] 2,971 1.58%

Wikipedia does not distinguish between Begich and Write-in, but it doesn't matter.

Final Round:
Nick Begich + Write-In votes distributed this way:
—> Peltola +[2] 16,399 91,206 51.47%
—> Palin +[2] 27,659 85,987 48.53%

More than a third of the Republican voters went to Peltola when they couldn't have their first choice of Begich.

Besides giving more power to voters, this is something I love about Ranked Choice. You can see inside the party blocs, and see what they really think about individual candidates. I hope Republicans don't take this as a sign that Ranked Choice is biased against them: it could easily have gone the other way if two Democrats and one Republican had qualified.
Ranked choice is nothing more than unadulterated election fraud. It was implemented illegally for the very first time in order to fix the election. Alaska has the most corrupt election process in the nation, as has been demonstrated over numerous decades. More ballots are cast and counted than there are eligible Alaskans, and none of the ballots require a signature, but as long as it elects Democrat pieces of shit and Democrat pretenders (like Murkowski) then the corrupt State has no problem with it.

Ranked choice is nothing more than unadulterated election fraud. It was implemented illegally for the very first time in order to fix the election. Alaska has the most corrupt election process in the nation, as has been demonstrated over numerous decades. More ballots are cast and counted than there are eligible Alaskans, and none of the ballots require a signature, but as long as it elects Democrat pieces of shit and Democrat pretenders (like Murkowski) then the corrupt State has no problem with it.

TRIGGERED! :ROFLMAO:

TRIGGERED! :ROFLMAO:

Wildly attacking Alaska which elected Don Young (REPUBLICAN) twenty-five times in succession, until he let the party down by dying age 88.

According to the Economist Intelligence Unit, the three countries which use Ranked Choice (New Zealand, Ireland and Australia) all score perfect 10.0 for "electoral process and pluralism". The US scores 9.17 which ... is OK I guess.

Overall democracy ranking has New Zealand second in the world, Ireland 7th, and Australia 9th. The US comes in at 26th.

Most of the problems the US has with democracy are very hard to solve. There's the Senate, there's the Electoral College, and there's the archaic method of choosing all Representatives one each for a geographical area. There's the obscene amount of money going into politics, both for campaigning and for legalized bribes. But one thing could easily be done, and it's what Maine, Alaska and (in the near future,) Hawaii, are all doing. It's introducing ranked choice voting.

The only strike against RCV is that it lets minor parties and independents get a foot in the door. Anyone who sees that as a downside, has their head firmly up the arse of one of the major parties. It might favor moderates of either major party, but same deal.

16 thousand Alaskan Republicans preferred a Democrat to the notorious shirker and glory-hound that Trump backed. Don't insult the voters by pretending the electoral system is at fault.

Back
Top Bottom