• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Marvellous to Behold: Miracles in Medieval Manuscripts (Book)

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'm actually reading This book. it's quite fascinating.

It's subject is artwork and ancient religious texts from Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It examines art styles and cultural influences in religious art and contrasts the stories, parables and holy scriptures that accompany them, etc.

It's quite complex but absolutely fascinating. In the artwork and handwriting styles through the centuries you can see the multi-cultural influences and cross-over religious symbolism and traits. And as the author travels through different eras you can see overall improvements in the quality and skill of painting and use of other mediums. It's just an astounding book that touches on a little bit of everything related to art, history and religion. Definitely a must-read.

I picked it up last year while mid my World-Literature class. We were discussing world religions and how their writings affected literature and so on and I thought it might be interesting. For some reason I decided to start reading it, I wish I started reading it sooner.

*edit - I just noticed I put this in the religious-debates section and it should be in the book nook!*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom