• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Married Couples Who Are Swingers

I wouldn't mind trying it myself. I've mentioned to my wife a couple times that I'm interested, but she is most decidedly not, so that kind of ended the discussion.

Did you have those feelings BEFORE getting married? If so you shoulda told her before.

I happen to think if everybody had an "open" marriage that our divorce rates would be way down. Even though they say the main thing married people fight about is money? It is usually never about what people are fighting about and always underlying issues. As in-she not giving me any so I am gonna yell at her about the bills.

I think whatever works and yes-it works for some people.

While I am down? I am a VERY Jealous person. You with me? You ARE MINE and the only way you gonna be with anybody else is through MY allowing you and the person that I allow you to be with? I pick. I am a bitch like that.
That's called "loving possessively" and it's something many people try not to do. Im not saying you're a bad person for doing it or that it's flat wrong, it's completely natural, but it is possible to get to a point where you dont feel that way about someone you love. I feel that I've reached a more....I dont want to use the word "evolved" or "enlightened" because that sounds horribly arrogant but those are the best words I can think of at the moment, I guess I've reached a more truthful way of looking at love by not loving possessively.

Did you have those feelings BEFORE getting married? If so you shoulda told her before.
To be fair, I was militantly monogamous when I got engaged and I only found out I was polyamorous after several years. Some discoveries about things like our sexuality or our attitude towards monogamy take place after a relationship starts and our attitudes change over the years.

I happen to think if everybody had an "open" marriage that our divorce rates would be way down.
I disagree. The vast majority of people are still monogamous and women tend to be more monogamous by nature than men. What there needs to be is balance.

Even though they say the main thing married people fight about is money? It is usually never about what people are fighting about and always underlying issues. As in-she not giving me any so I am gonna yell at her about the bills.
Also not quite true. Money is a stressor that puts everyone on edge when it's tight so it makes other fights about less important things much easier to have

Last edited:
This is simply a bastardization of marriage and yet another symptom of an over-sexed society; another attack on morality by the hippie generation.

This is simply a bastardization of marriage and yet another symptom of an over-sexed society; another attack on morality by the hippie generation.
So how do you explain me :) I'm not exactly the hippie generation

I
1. What is your moral position toward swinging? Are you a person who practices monogammy but believe it is possible to have a happy and fulfilled swinging marriage? Are you a person who believes monogammy is the only morally justified means of being married?
Morality is one of those subjective words where it can mean one thing to one person and another to someone else. To me "morality" is treating my fellow man in a manner which will not harm them emotionally, physically or financially. Everything else is just people's attempts to pigeonhole others because it fills a black hole of insecurity and gives them some kind of peace of mind feeling "morally superior" to someone else.

2. What is your experience with swingers? Do you personally know any swingers? In your opinion, is their relationship successful?
My wife and I have been together twelve years and opened-up our relationship six years ago through swinging. After being together five years we started talking honestly and openly about our fantasies beyond the basic stuff and discovered that we both had fantasies that involved including other people but we were both to scared to bring-up to each other for fear of hurting feelings and jealousy. Within a year we had started swinging. As we delved more into exploring our fantasies together, as a team, we also discovered that we became friends with the couples and singles we swung with, and this led to polyamorous relationships with people over over the years.

I can say from being on both sides of the fence of monogamy and non-monogamy that when life has dealt us lumps it's been our friends from the swinger and polyamory communities that have been there to help whereas our "vanilla" friends (that's said tongue-in-cheek by the way) were the proverbial "Let us know if we can help in any way" and never came through. From experiences like this I would trust a swinger or polyamorous friend to have my back more-so than others.

3. Are you a swinger? Has it improved your relationship?

Yes, and yes. We had a pretty damn good relationship to begin with, we were in no way bored with each other nor was there anything lacking in our relationship. What opening-up our relationship did do which made it even better was advanced our communication light years beyond where it was, and you can imagine it had to be pretty good to even bring-up the subject of being sexually attracted to other people. Six years later we communicate on a level that most people can't imagine and some of our monogamous friends have expressed they wish they had with their spouse.

It has also strengthened our commitment to each other because we've had to work through a lot of issues that remain buried in a monogamous relationship until it implodes one day. Opening-up your relationship sexually, emotionally or both exposes every crack in the foundation of your relationship and forces you to deal with them. Things you thought would never bother you can, and things you thought would bother you don't. You not only go through a great growth period as a couple you also do on a personal basis. If you don't you don't survive as a couple. Having an open relationship forces you to move beyond yourself and your selfish needs and desires and start to really consider your partner as an equal, not as something you own or control, and to recognize and appreciate them for who they really are. It forces you to look at happiness as something beyond what makes you happy, you start to look at it from the perspective of what makes your partner happy too, and that becomes just as important to your happiness.

In polyamory we call this "compersion", the act of feeling joy in your partner's joy, even if you are not the direct cause of that joy.

Californica.
Yeah, California is not as liberal as most people think. We're actually pretty evenly divided. The liberal side gets more attention because the larger cities, LA, Sacramento, San Diego, etc etc tend to be more liberal (as is the case in any large city anywhere in the world)

PurpleAmericaPosterAll50_small.gif

LOL Where is Hollywood located?
There is more to California than Hollywood, regardless of what you see on TV.

As for the chart, it supports my assertion beautifully. LA county, clearly marked in blue, is more Democratic because it's a large population center. Large cities are almost always more Democratic in nature regardless of where they are. The rest of the state is mixed red and blue, which, again, supports my assertion that it's a fairly balanced state.

You forget we have Orange County, which is THE SEAT of much of the Evangelical Christian movement n the US and our governors are generally Republicans.

You forget we have Orange County, which is THE SEAT of much of the Evangelical Christian movement n the US and our governors are generally Republicans.

I thought Colorado Springs was the headquarters of the fundy movement.

I thought Colorado Springs was the headquarters of the fundy movement.
Of the political side, it is. However a lot of the funding and donation power comes out of Orange County. There are a lot of conservative fund raising groups centered in Orange County.

There is more to California than Hollywood, regardless of what you see on TV.

As for the chart, it supports my assertion beautifully. LA county, clearly marked in blue, is more Democratic because it's a large population center. Large cities are almost always more Democratic in nature regardless of where they are. The rest of the state is mixed red and blue, which, again, supports my assertion that it's a fairly balanced state.

Hollywood has a liberal influence over the nation and especially California. The densely populated Democrat areas also make up most of the population, therefore the State is liberal overall. California is always a shoe-in for whatever Democrat candidate is running for POTUS.

I used to live in Upstate New York in a Republican county so I know exactly what you're going through. You may be surrounded by Republicans but it doesn't matter- your State is going to vote Democrat.

I know some swingers in my area, and in my opinion, they are the least emotionally stable of all the people I know. They are, frankly, the last people who should be complicating their marriages, because their marriages aren't very happy to start with.

Hollywood has a liberal influence over the nation and especially California. The densely populated Democrat areas also make up most of the population, therefore the State is liberal overall. California is always a shoe-in for whatever Democrat candidate is running for POTUS.

I used to live in Upstate New York in a Republican county so I know exactly what you're going through. You may be surrounded by Republicans but it doesn't matter- your State is going to vote Democrat.
Except it isnt. Campaigning in California for both parties and in the last election, the split was like 52-54% for Obama, which is a narrow victory.

California is pretty evenly split between Democrat and Republican.

As much as I enjoy discussing this, even though I have a sneaking suspicion that you arent really interested in a true discussion, this is off-topic. If you want to continue it, start a new thread or PM me.

I know some swingers in my area, and in my opinion, they are the least emotionally stable of all the people I know. They are, frankly, the last people who should be complicating their marriages, because their marriages aren't very happy to start with.

Well I know some non-swinging married couples who are miserable and are not emotionally stable. I agree with you if your marriage already sucks, swinging will not make it happier.

Except it isnt. Campaigning in California for both parties and in the last election, the split was like 52-54% for Obama, which is a narrow victory.

California is pretty evenly split between Democrat and Republican.

As much as I enjoy discussing this, even though I have a sneaking suspicion that you arent really interested in a true discussion, this is off-topic. If you want to continue it, start a new thread or PM me.

When was the last time California went GOP for the POTUS?

When was the last time California went GOP for the POTUS?
Again, this is off topic. I'd be happy to talk to you about it, but if you want to keep going you need to open a new thread or PM me.

Married couple who are swingers after 50 years? I guess so...swingin can seem interesting so long as it ain't with my wife and you don't mind watchin me with yours. More over, lets make sure everyone is less than at least 50 years old. Otherwise, we are talking mortuary work.

Back
Top Bottom