• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Married at 12 in Kansas

What is the appropriate age of consent for marriage?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 28.6%

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • The government has no business deciding this issue.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
H

hipsterdufus

Kansas is looking at legistlation to raise the age of consent for females to get married from 12. The age of consent for males in Kansas is 14.

What do you think the age of consent should be?

doc42eead27ad77d960191905.jpg

Matthew Koso and his 14-year-old wife pregnat wife Crystal.

There was a thread on this a while back. I got shouted down for suggesting that the law as it stands is fine (with parental consent). Without parental consent, I'd say 18, like any other contract.

You're playing with fire with this topic. Many people aren't at their most rational when discussing it. :smile:

Legally, we are considered children until we are 18.

The rights of an adult should be granted at the same time that the responsibilities of an adult are granted. I am divided on the issue of whether or not an exception should be made for parental consent-- but I lean towards "no". Marriage is too serious of a commitment to allow children to enter into it.

hipsterdufus said:
Kansas is looking at legistlation to raise the age of consent for females to get married from 12. The age of consent for males in Kansas is 14.

What do you think the age of consent should be?

doc42eead27ad77d960191905.jpg

Matthew Koso and his 14-year-old wife pregnat wife Crystal.
I need you to post a link to that story/legislation, please.

Well, whoever chose "The government has no business deciding this issue," is a closet pedofile.

Jerry said:
I need you to post a link to that story/legislation, please.

Sure, here's one about Koso, who fled Nebraska, where he is charged w/ sexual assault, to go to Kansas to marry his 14 year old wife.

One of the points for me is that Kansas wants to ban the freedom of marriage, but it's ok for a 12 year old girl to get hitched.

What's the Matter With Kansas?

Published: August 31, 2005
Matthew Koso, 22, and his wife Crystal, 14, are the parents of a newborn baby and the center of a controversy in their hometown, Falls City, Neb. The couple apparently started dating when Crystal was 12, and after she became pregnant, they crossed over into Kansas, where it is legal for even preteen girls to get married, and tied the knot. The Nebraska attorney general, Jon Bruning, has charged Mr. Koso with statutory rape. But he says a vast majority of the people who have written in to comment on the case say that Mr. Koso did the right thing and that the only fault here lies with the prosecutor, whom they see as a home-wrecker.

The Koso marriage is indeed legal, and that is the fault of the Kansas State Legislature, which should heed a call by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and raise the age as soon as it reconvenes in January. Kansas is not the only state that has failed to fix antiquated laws permitting 14-year-old boys to marry 12-year-old girls if the parents permit; several states, including Massachusetts, have laws that are nearly as ridiculous.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/o...8a30888e7&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Related article here:

www.ageofconsent.com/kansas.htm

cherokee said:
I voted 18.

but here is a link, that just blows my mind!.......

http://family-law.freeadvice.com/ks_parental_consent.htm

What is the age with parental consent in kansas?

Male: 14 – parental consent and/or permission of judge required

Female: 12 – parental consent and/or permission of judge required.

What is the age without parental consent in kentucky?

Male: 18

Female: 18

GySgt said:
Well, whoever chose "The government has no business deciding this issue," is a closet pedofile.

See what I mean about people not being at their most rational on this issue?

I voted for 18, because the poll didn't specify whether or not it was with parental permission. If it's with parental permission (and of course, the minor's consent), that can be lowered somewhat...14-15 seems reasonable enough to me, especially if there are extenuating circumstances such as a pregnancy. That's just my opinion on a reasonable age, and it would vary depending on the situation. Each state can decide the appropriate age for themselves. I don't presume to know what is best for all minors in all circumstances; if the age in Kansas is 12, and these two people in this story are happy, far be it from me to tell them that they're bad or immoral.

Last edited:
GySgt said:

Some people just don't think the State has any business in regulating marriage or sexual relations. I think that's crazy, but it has more to do with minarchism/anarchism than pedophilia.

Korimyr the Rat said:
Some people just don't think the State has any business in regulating marriage or sexual relations. I think that's crazy, but it has more to do with minarchism/anarchism than pedophilia.

I like my conclusion better.

GySgt said:
Agreed.
hipsterdufus said:
Sure, here's one about Koso, who fled Nebraska, where he is charged w/ sexual assault, to go to Kansas to marry his 14 year old wife.

One of the points for me is that Kansas wants to ban the freedom of marriage, but it's ok for a 12 year old girl to get hitched.
I'm feeling a gay-marriage vibe from you here........
The state either has the authority to regulate marriage, or it doesn't.
If the state does, then it can ban, restrict and/or regulate certain formes of marital contracts. If it does not, then it can not stop 14 year olds from marrying 22 year olds.

Only a pedophile would choose a child as a spouse.

hipsterdufus said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/o...8a30888e7&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Related article here:

www.ageofconsent.com/kansas.htm

Lets start with throwing that pedophile in jail and work on the rest of the issues next. What do the girls parents have to say abou this? You come near my daughter at 14 and I will kill you slowly. Can't imagine allowing some jackson wannabe date my daughter

Back
Top Bottom