• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marriage is between a Man and a Woman.

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I believe marriage is between a Man and a Woman.

Marriage=Man+Woman_Front.jpg

What say you?

Last edited:
Marriage is a word that denotes a concept that is defined by society.

I believe marriage should be strictly ceremonial and defined by whoever is performing the ceremony. I believe that the legal rights currently given to married people should be separated from the ceremonial part and granted to anyone who qualifies for them.

I personally don't care. I love my wife, she loves me, and that is all that matters to me.

As long as its not harmful, how people arrange their relationships has nothing to do with me.

What say you?

That's how YOU see marriage, but there are different perceptions of that concept. It's a social construction, that evolves over time.

My way to see it, which is the way more and more people see it, is that "marriage" (or some kind of official union with legal effects, whatever you call it) is a right, that everyone has equal rights, and thus that gays can be married too.

Besides, I do not really mind about them being married, since it has zero effect on me.

support-gay-marriage-love_thumb_medium380_0.jpg

Last edited:
I agree.

In America, marriage has always been recognized as one man and one woman.

Historically, marriage has been almost exclusively reserved for male-female bondings. Exceptions have been exceedingly rare, even in societies that condoned homosexuality.

Socially, the primary function of marriage is to provide a stable home for children to grow up in. Hetero produces children, homo does not, not without the inclusion of a third party who is not part of the marriage and all the baggage that entails.

A majority of the public opposes turning the traditional form of marriage upside down in order to allow a tiny minority access to an institution which was never associated with their lifestyle choices.

So yeah, I agree.

Marriage is the union of a husband and wife. Thus it is between a man and woman. Not between two men or two women. Such a union is not marriage and should not be recognized incorrectly as such.

What say you?

What say me is that an actual libertarian position would be that marriage is between two people, and that the two people in question should have the liberty to decide for themselves.

Not unless one defines libertarianism as "liberty for me, but not for you", anyway.

What say you?

I'm always so humored by the traditional imagery of the male/female in those oblique figure plaques. Did you know that in ancient Egypt depicting a husband and wife with the same skin tone actually represented an interracial marriage? It was traditional and desirable for an Egyptian woman to have a lighter skin tone than her husband. (interesting random and unrelated digression)

I think the whole issue is dated - just like gladiatorial combat and ritualistic sacrifices - or the notion that women shouldn't be educated.

The honest truth is that what two people do in their relationship does *not* affect what you do in yours.
No one wants to admit that or accept that, of course - unless their relationship is being scrutinized negatively, then they're all over trumping that around.

My parents firmly believed that my husband and I shouldn't marry (gender-traditional marriage, here) - because he wasn't 'Christian' and because he had 'tattoos' and thus was a 'horrid person'. Soon after, however, my parents separated and lived apart for years, so much for their traditional / religious marriage being so exemplary.

People spend too much time worrying about *what other people are doing* - and not enough time working on *their own problems in life*

Right now I'm sure two people are going through wedding-day jitters, soon they'll tie the know - they're having a wedding with friends and family invited. Preparation, nerves, I'm sure it was preceded by a decent proposal . . . so romantic!
Are they gay? Are they straight?
How is this affecting everyone, here, right now? It's Saturday morning? Is this going to ruin your day? Will it affect you tomorrow? The next day?
Next year, perhaps?

No, it won't.

It's just much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
I believe that a flying spaghetti monster orbits the sun.

No really...

What you believe in is irrelevant to what is. If you're saying it should be between a man and a woman... great, opinion noted.

But clearly same sex couples are already happily married. It doesn't matter that you don't believe in them. :D

I'm always so humored by the traditional imagery of the male/female in those oblique figure plaques.

THat's only because you reject the traditional definition of marriage as being between a two legged man, and a woman with just one big leg right in the middle.

Marriage is a contract between two adults who want to name each other as next of kin and enter into what they hope will be a lifelong partnership. That's what it is in the eyes of the law. Any two adults should be able to enter into such a contract.

If you mean religious marriage, I have zero opinion on that. Let Churches make their own rules.

Historically, marriage has been almost exclusively reserved for male-female bondings. Exceptions have been exceedingly rare, even in societies that condoned homosexuality.

Incorrect. Greece and Rome recognized same sex unions, although it was only Rome that called them "marriages" (Greece practiced pedestry) and only until the 3rd century when Constantine made them illegal and punishable by death. In fact, two Roman emporers were married to men, Nero and Elagabalus. Same sex marriages were also performed in areas of China and parts of Africa, and women in Brazil formed lesbian marriages.

Same sex marriage may not have been extremely common (only 5% of any given population is gay/bisexual after all) but they have a long history and have been widespread through the world.

Reactions: bub

The problem is you aren't speaking the same language as other people.

Marriage, to other people, comes in a civil form that belongs to the state and a religious form which belongs to the church.

Those people believe that the civil form can allow same sex couples to marry while the religious is free to recognize just a "man and woman" definition.

What you fail to do is explain why the civil and religious are one in the same.

Although as I have said in other threads, I think this is just rhetoric your side uses when your actual agenda is to make sure that homosexuality is not accepted as a part of society.

I believe marriage should be strictly ceremonial and defined by whoever is performing the ceremony. I believe that the legal rights currently given to married people should be separated from the ceremonial part and granted to anyone who qualifies for them.

I believe this is how it ought to be.

The Loglan word for spouse is merji; it is gender neutral. In order to create the words for "husband" or "wife", you must make the combined words "spouse-man" and "spouse-woman".

I think marriage is a permanent and exclusive relationship between two or more people, primarily for the purposes of raising children together.

A personal marriage is between whoever feels like making commitment to another person or groups. Whoever wants to recognize such a marriage does, and whoever doesn't, doesn't.

A civil marriage establishes a person as another person's family and vice versa. In fact, each is established as one another's closest relative. What rights and responsibilities and benefits may come with this are a matter determined by the government, but should not violate rules of equality and/or equal protection.

Ideally, people establish marriage bonds, both personal and civil, for love and with the intent to be committed to each other for at least the rest of their lives and work out any problems they might have.

What say you?

I say that marriage is for 2 or more people that are adults and human and love each other. But then you know what I think as we've gone around and around on this subject before. ;)

I say that marriage is for 2 or more people that are adults and human and love each other. But then you know what I think as we've gone around and around on this subject before. ;)

We have? are you sure? :ssst:

What say you?

That's what Jesus said. Seems to me He would know what God was up to when He came up with sexuality in the first place.

That's what Jesus said. Seems to me He would know what God was up to when He came up with sexuality in the first place.

He also said, "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."

Religious marriage belongs to God, but civil marriage belongs to the state.

Back
Top Bottom