• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marlon Brando - The Hollow Men - How Cultures Die - T S Eliot

I liked the director's cut of the movie. It gave more background especially about the French plantation.

In the plot from the longer version you can surmise that Willard returned to live with the French family because he grew to love the widow who understood him better than his civilian x-wife had.

The most telling part of the movie was the "buck fever" hunting addiction of the introduction:

"When I was here (jungle) I wanted to be there (USA), and when I was there (USA) all I could think about was getting back into the jungle."

My girlfriend's father was like that -- 4 tours to Viet Nam -- he could not get enough. He was Regular Army too.

And she -- my girlfriend -- was a lot like the x-wife portrayed.

She once said to me "Oh you just want to be Billy Bad Ass like my dad!"

John Milius was never military -- NPQ -- not physically qualified. So I don't know where he got his insights for the screenplay. But he came up with a very thought provoking story.

I myself would not have killed the colonel had he not killed my radioman, Chef.

But according to the plot, the colonel wanted to die so that is why he murdered Chef and let Willard live.

Last edited:
This goes into the production of the movie a bit.

I liked the director's cut of the movie. It gave more background especially about the French plantation.

In the plot from the longer version you can surmise that Willard returned to live with the French family because he grew to love the widow who understood him better than his civilian x-wife had.

The most telling part of the movie was the "buck fever" hunting addiction of the introduction:

"When I was here (jungle) I wanted to be there (USA), and when I was there (USA) all I could think about was getting back into the jungle."

My girlfriend's father was like that -- 4 tours to Viet Nam -- he could not get enough. He was Regular Army too.

And she -- my girlfriend -- was a lot like the x-wife portrayed.

She once said to me "Oh you just want to be Billy Bad Ass like my dad!"

John Milius was never military -- NPQ -- not physically qualified. So I don't know where he got his insights for the screenplay. But he came up with a very thought provoking story.

I myself would not have killed the colonel had he not killed my radioman, Chef.

But according to the plot, the colonel wanted to die so that is why he murdered Chef and let Willard live.

Back
Top Bottom