• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marjorie Taylor Greene bizarrely uses Brooklyn subway shooting to argue against gun control

The unanswered question is if he thought half the people were armed would he of tried it in the first place? It's a complicated issue.
It is because people intent on doing harm are not going to be deterred just because they know others are armed; they can simply adjust their tactics. In this case. the shooter threw smoke bombs into a subway car then started shooting. Even if people on the train were armed, they would have had to deal with shooting back at an assailant they could barely see in a crowded, cramped space. If you know people are armed, it can be as simple as just recalculating your strategy to ensure you have the element of surprise.

When I was younger in NYC, I used to carry a vulcanized rubber baton to protect myself from muggings if I was going out late. Crime was pretty bad back then, and muggings were pretty common so this made sense to me since most muggers were armed with either knives, sharpened screwdrivers or other sharp instruments. From this experience, I can say that the biggest disadvantage was the element of surprise muggers had the few times I was robbed. Where the baton came in handy was in situations where people started trouble verbally and then escalated to physical confrontations.

Last edited:
You dont hear about bad guys stealing from places with valuable things, specially when those valuable things go bang bang, and everyone knows bad guys don't like to rob things if they hear loud noises, or gun shots!

Pew, pew, I'm a serious human being.

😁

You probably could have found a better example……..

How do you think bad guys get guns in the first place?

Anyway, you're wrong, people aren't afraid to rob a gun store, as a matter of fact it happens a ton.

"have." "of" is not a verb. You'll thank me later.
Between Sarasota to the south and Tampa Bay to the north lies the mid-size Trump-loving town of Bradenton in Manatee County FL. I have often heard the town referred to as Bradentucky. I believe Rep. Greene garnishes popular support among Bradentuckians.

I currently live in a county north of Tampa Bay. The common use of “of“ in place of “have“ falls under the category of Bradentucky colloquial speech. I have a decades-long relationship with Bradentucky. I bought two homes there at cash auction since mid-December.

No one I know expects any Rhodes Scholars to come out of the Bradentucky school system, unless they completed the International Baccalaureate program in high school. My oldest daughter, now 32, completed IB in Bradentucky in 2007. The 63 certified IB students that year accumulated over $3MIL in scholarships.

Long story short: Bradentucky generates and has a whole lot of semi-illiteratacy. I believe @trouble13 can lay claim to a relationship with Bradentucky.

Another stable genius.
MTG is bizarre.

Ergo it is the only way she can argue.

Not in that situation. A crowded subway car filled with smoke is not a great place to try to shoot except randomly. The moron shooting fired 33 rounds, hitting 10 people, and (fortunately) did not manage to fatally shoot anyone.
Having the OK-Corral on a crowded subway is not the place for "good guys" with guns shooting "bad guys" with guns.

Yes, just what the situation needed.

More guns.
How exactly would the police be able to instantly decide who's a good guy with a gun?

If that was the case I doubt this person would have thought he could get away with shooting a bunch of people.

Have you noticed mass shootings almost exclusively happen where nobody's allowed to carry firearms?
Interesting that the mass shooting immediately proceeding this one occurred in Louisiana, which has open carry.

So no, I've not noticed that.

So you don't remember Texas tech or Columbine or Margie stoneman Douglas, are pulse nightclub or Las Vegas or Sandy Hook or the movie theater in Colorado... 100% of those took place in 100% gun control so it doesn't seem like it really works.

The smart thing to do is not too intentionally make things into soft targets or shooting calories.

How many mass shootings happen at gun stores or shooting ranges or gun shows or police stations or hunting clubs or CHL classes?

Get over here in Texas we had campus carry enacted when I was still in college and I didn't turn into the okay corral. In fact I didn't even know who was carrying and since I don't talk about it nobody knew that I was.
The real form of gun control that this country needs is limiting the over 400,000,000 guns that are floating around all over the place. No guns, no gun violence.

All the NY City subway needs is to have everyone packing.

Yup, like the Sacramento shooting, it started with a fight and then turned into a gun fight. Yeeehaww! lets have a good old fashion western shootout.

Her point is valid
Not really. Before I explain, please note I am not opposed to CCW laws.

Winning a gunfight relies on training and and opportunity. Being a murderous monster only requires firing first.

Even with training, overwhelming odds are the gunman will fire first. You will need training to be able to draw down, release safety (unless you walk around with it off), move to position and aim among the chaos and hope you don’t get in line of sight of someone else as they pull the trigger.

Assuming the gunman doesn’t already have you in his sights and pulls before you can draw.

Certain assumptions are being made: mostly that a fun man firing randomly is afraid that others might be armed. They aren’t: they may even be planning to die.

In terms of other types of crime like drugs or robberies…there’s the assumption that if everyone has a fun, crime would go down because folks would be too afraid to draw down. Not true.

Most drug crimes are done by people with guns going after people with guns…knowing they have guns. Robbers use moments of opportunity to do their crime so that even if the person is armed, they would have very little ability to use it.

When you hear stories of a good citizen shooting a criminal, if you pay attention you will notice the hero having training and when he/she acted, it was at a moment of opportunity. And it should be pointed out that the hero acts AFTER the initial act by criminal…which often means that someone still gets hurt/killed.

Am I saying you shouldn’t be allowed to CCW? No; I think you should. But let’s call it what it is: a matter of convenience. MTG, as usual, is talking out of her ass…

Her point is valid
Yea exactly what would be needed in a smoke filled crowded space is to have multiple untrained people shooting at who they 'think' is the gunman.
Her point is stupid.

Yea exactly what would be needed in a smoke filled crowded space is to have multiple untrained people shooting at who they 'think' is the gunman.
Her point is stupid.
Why do you assume they are untrained? It shows the weakness of your position when you need to qualify what you say like that.

Her point is valid
Oh yeah, if some of those on the N train had stood their ground, pulled out their Glocks and returned fire through the smoke instead of retreating, so many injuries would have been avoided.

If guns on trains should be acceptable, why not guns on planes as well?

Oh yeah, if some of those on the N train had stood their ground, pulled out their Glocks and returned fire through the smoke instead of retreating, so many injuries would have been avoided.

If guns on trains should be acceptable, why not guns on planes as well?
Because if you shoot out the window, everyone gets sucked out. Long fall.

Why do you assume they are untrained? It shows the weakness of your position when you need to qualify what you say like that.
Trained for such a situation - military and some police.
Untrained - everyone else, gun and non gun owners alike.
The real weakness evident is that a room full of armed civilians would have made the situation better.

Because if you shoot out the window, everyone gets sucked out. Long fall.
True, but guns were not banned on planes because people were shooting out windows.

Back
Top Bottom