• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marines Investigating Woman's TikTok Video Claims that General Allowed Perpetrator to Stay in Uniform

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

2/19/21
Marine Corps officials are gathering details about an emotional video shared widely on social media this week in which a woman claims a man who admitted to sexual misconduct will be allowed to remain in the service. The video, posted to TikTok on Thursday, shows a Marine in tears saying a commanding general has opted to allow a man accused of sexual misconduct to remain in the Corps despite proof and his admission of guilt. "This is exactly why ... females in the military f---ing kill themselves," the woman yells through her tears. Marine officials are "aware of the video and [are] gathering all the details of the situation," Capt. Casey Littesy, a spokeswoman for the service, said Friday morning. "Sexual assault is a crime, is unacceptable, and violates our core values of honor, courage and commitment," Littesy said. "We will respond with an update when we have more information." Additional questions about what commanding general made the decision, why and whether it was under any sort of review were referred to the North Carolina-based II Marine Expeditionary Force.

According to the Marine in the video, the perpetrator, whom she faced in court, was initially set to receive an honorable discharge. That could have potentially allowed the man to join another military service. Then, she adds, she got word that the man would be retained. "All the way up, across the board, everybody said they would not retain him," she said. "And the f---ing head honcho ... [with] admission to guilt decided that they will retain him." When asked about the video Friday, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin called it "deeply disturbing" and said he has requested more information from his staff. "We have to get the facts, we have to understand what just happened," Austin said. "Let me also say that I care about each and every one of our troops, and certainly I'm going to ask that her chain of command makes sure that someone is looking out after her needs and make sure that we're taking care of her." Austin told senators during his January nomination hearing that he takes the issue of sexual assault "seriously and personally." "If confirmed," he said, "I would like to work with the chain of command and very rapidly assess what things need to be fixed or addressed."

Sources at Camp Lejeune unofficially identify II MEF Maj. Gen. Julian Alford is either the possible CG who retained the sexual predator or oversees the officer who did.

This will be the first publicized incident for new SecDef Lloyd Austin regarding the plague of sexual assaults within the US military.

"Sexual Misconduct" covers a wide variety of abuses - everything from sleeping with someone else's wife to rape. I wonder what the particulars of this incident are, if the man was set up to get an Honorable Discharge.

Without any disrespect intended towards this young Marine, there are two sides to every story, and sexual misconduct covers a very wide range of aggressions with both verbal and physical.

I cannot believe that her C.O. would not pursue charges in today's over heated political climate.

Accused. Not convicted

Back
Top Bottom