• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Marines End Role In Iraq

:shrug: well it was part of their initial belief system; but that doesn't mean they're not shifting off of the "surge is a failure" / "iraq is lost" position.

and especially here, where you can literally watch the same individuals change from one to the other that's a tough argument to make, gunner.

The way i see it we had various camps

1- pro war

2-anti war

3- the apathetic

4 the undecided

The reasons for alignment were copious. The pro war lost support for a myriad of reasons and jumped ship, often to the anti war faction. The apathetic stayed pretty much out of discussion-as did the undecided but some left for either faction 1 or faction 2.

The group that stay[ed] pretty much consistent throughout is the 'anti war faction'. And as i intimated earlier they are the ones who will be against any form of Military action.

We must also acknowledge the fluid nature of War. War is rarely stagnant when coming from an observers viewpoint-where objectivity can influence more than subjectivity.

Paul

hmm... 23 million people formerly living in one of the worlds' most repressive dictatorships now living in a representative government with some (if not ours) level of guaranteed rights. a shiite democracy that severely undercuts Iran's mullah's pretensions of regional hegemony, and an answer to Islamist Fundamentalism. yup, i'd say it was worth it, if the price was steep well, it was much cheaper for us than it was for them, and they seem to be taking part in this new freedom of theirs at greater rates than even we do.

America, the Empire of Liberty.

One of my liberal arts instructors for an English class I took in college tried to convince the class during a lecture that the invasion of Iraq was America 'imperialism'. :roll: Needless to say, many of the libs in the lecture agreed with him. Somehow I just don't see how an 'imperialist nation' would free another country of a most repressive dictatorship, and then give its people liberty and the opportunities that follow.

We were right in helping the Iraqi people gain freedom from a ruthless dictator.

We were right in helping the Iraqi people gain freedom from a ruthless dictator.

What freedom was that? To replace one corrupt government with another, and this one requires our tax dollars and military occupation to prop up.

Brilliant plan there!

Without our previous support of Saddam, he could not have maintained control in Iraq for as long as he did. Reagan removed Iraq from the state terrorist listing and provided the precursors for the internationally banned mustard gas which he later used on his own people.

America, the Empire of Liberty.

One of my liberal arts instructors for an English class I took in college tried to convince the class during a lecture that the invasion of Iraq was America 'imperialism'. :roll: Needless to say, many of the libs in the lecture agreed with him. Somehow I just don't see how an 'imperialist nation' would free another country of a most repressive dictatorship, and then give its people liberty and the opportunities that follow.

:D didn't you know? it was part of our dastardly plan to spend a ton of lives and money invading a country and then giving it back. just like...... all empires.......

....wait a minute...:doh

What freedom was that? To replace one corrupt government with another, and this one requires our tax dollars and military occupation to prop up.

heck, our government has corruption (you may have heard about us passing a healthcare bill?). what we have done is replace a maniacal and bloody dictatorship with a representative government; the same as we did with Germany and Japan.

Brilliant plan there!

:) indeed it was. thank you.

Without our previous support of Saddam, he could not have maintained control in Iraq for as long as he did.

:lol: yeah. because he really needed our help putting down the kurdish and shiite revolts after we wasted half his military in 1991. :roll:

heck, our government has corruption (you may have heard about us passing a healthcare bill?). what we have done is replace a maniacal and bloody dictatorship with a representative government; the same as we did with Germany and Japan.

Germany and Japan invaded other countries. Iraq had no such capacity since the Persian Gulf War.

:lol: yeah. because he really needed our help putting down the kurdish and shiite revolts after we wasted half his military in 1991. :roll:

We killed more Iraqis than Saddam did since 1991 with the sanctions we pushed for and enforced, and our war for oil (still ongoing).

heck, our government has corruption (you may have heard about us passing a healthcare bill?).
Not capable of equating to corruption. If you want to talk about corruption, then it would be Bush and friend's war on Iraq that was started illegally, and Bush knowing of Enron and saving his own butt.
what we have done is replace a maniacal and bloody dictatorship with a representative government; the same as we did with Germany and Japan.
So is Kim Jong Il II, and the House of Saud can be compared to a dictatorship as well as the King of Jordan, and Iran, and, Belorussia.

heck, our government has corruption (you may have heard about us passing a healthcare bill?).

I meant to add to that. Way to bring partisanship into this debate. Because really it just shows how little of an understanding you have the way the power elite behave in this country. Politicians in this nation have zero accountability to the people or even the law. They are above the law. And the only reason people don't stand up because they are allowed to consume material goods or are allowed to talk freely whereas nations like Saudi Arabia, Iran have that restricted. But I hate breaking this to you, if the people don't hold their government responsible and look at politicians as individuals representing this nation instead of individuals representing the party, maybe we'd have a less corrupt government and live in a greater country. They believe corruption either does not exist or it is the fault of the other party and their people but never theirs.
This country sucks because people don't care how rampant corruption is. Because they don't care....until somethin bad happens to them. Then they start to cry but who is going to help you when no one cares?

Last edited:

Brilliant plan there!

Without our previous support of Saddam, he could not have maintained control in Iraq for as long as he did. Reagan removed Iraq from the state terrorist listing and provided the precursors for the internationally banned mustard gas which he later used on his own people.

What does this whining do for you exactly? I mean where are you actually tryingt to get to? Anywhere or is the complaining satisfying enough?

You complain about the corruption in Iraq's new democratic government. My guess is that you equally bitch about America leaving Afghanistan to be governed by the future Tali-ban too. But setting up a government there would have just had you bitching about "puppet governments" and "corruption" also. You bitch about "puppet governments" with dictators during the Cold War, yet bitch about "puppet governments" where democracies are being born. How long did it take the French to develop their democracy? How much slaughter did they endure before they got it right? They even voted in Napolean in the beginning of their social experiment. I guess Muslims in the Middle East are supposed to get it perfect right out the door, huh? I guarantee that Iraqis figure it out quicker than even the French did, but still you will bitch.

So what's America to do to make the ungreatful who celebrate the fruit of the effort happy?

You bitch about dead Iraqis under UN sanctions, yet bitch about America's role to remove the source. You bitch about "No War for Oil," yet bitch about a war to end our role with Iraqi sanctions that merely wound up "Starving For Oil." You bitch about our attempts to preserve a sense of stability to keep the oil flowing, yet bitch about our role to remove that which threatens that stability. Can you at least acknowledge that a "War for Oil" has been waged since the beginning of the Cold War and that you prefer others to suffer quietly for your oil rather than watching others wage a war to get under better circumstances? At least that would be honest.

I've concluded that you are simply fake. You don't seem to have an argument other than to gripe about everything. Your last two posts are very contradictory and very sanctimonious towards reality.

Last edited:
So is Kim Jong Il II, and the House of Saud can be compared to a dictatorship as well as the King of Jordan, and Iran, and, Belorussia.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be cute or being sincere here. Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are the only two countries in the Middle East that were never colonized by Europeans.

The Cold War is over. The era of celebrating dictators as a form of population and region control is a thing of the past. Giving the people opportunity like we have done in Afghanistan and Iraq is more towards what America is supposed to stand for. We could have easily dropped in more dictators. Would not that have been easier?

The 21st century is going to be the century of democracy. Or do we prefer an America that took the easier route against the Soviets in the 20th? It's like people are so comfortable with bitching about America's stumbles and mistakes (as few as they were, considering) that they refuse to acknowledge an America pushing forward. The whiners and naysayers are as dead as the 20th century theories of mass organization.

I mean where are you actually tryingt to get to?

The truth.

You complain about the corruption in Iraq's new democratic government. My guess is that you equally bitch about America leaving Afghanistan to be governed by the future Tali-ban too.

Your guess would be wrong.

But setting up a government there would have just had you bitching about "puppet governments" and "corruption" also. You bitch about "puppet governments" with dictators during the Cold War, yet bitch about "puppet governments" where democracies are being born.

Democracies are born, not forced at the end of gun by the most powerful military on the planet.

You bitch about dead Iraqis under UN sanctions, yet bitch about America's role to remove the source.

The US is the one that pushed for and enforced the sanctions in order to try to force out the Saddam government that Nationalized Iraqi oil.

You bitch about "No War for Oil," yet bitch about a war to end our role with Iraqi sanctions that merely wound up "Starving For Oil." You bitch about our attempts to preserve a sense of stability to keep the oil flowing, yet bitch about our role to remove that which threatens that stability

Finally you get to the purpose of our wars and sanctions against Iraq.

Can you at least acknowledge that a "War for Oil" has been waged since the beginning of the Cold War and that you prefer others to suffer quietly for your oil rather than watching others wage a war to get under better circumstances? At least that would be honest.

Honest about the immorality of it. What I would prefer is that we buck up and be responsible for our own ass for a change.

Germany and Japan invaded other countries. Iraq had no such capacity since the Persian Gulf War.

so? how in the world does that alter the fact that we invaded, replaced their government, and then left them with a relatively free representative liberal state?

and you're wrong; Iraq did have the capacity to project force; they simply didn't have the capacity to succeed against US forces in the region that would oppose such a maneuver.

Not capable of equating to corruption. If you want to talk about corruption, then it would be Bush and friend's war on Iraq that was started illegally, and Bush knowing of Enron and saving his own butt.

well normally i reply to arguments; but you have to be able to grasp on to a point in order to reply to it.... so i'm just going to copy this for you so that you can perhaps reshape it in another post into something coherent.

not really; both the King of Jordan and Iran have some forms of limited representative government; the difference being that Iran is much more restrictive on what parties and candidates can take part; which raises some definitional questions indeed. Jordan is generally more moderate than any of those other nations you named.

well normally i reply to arguments; but you have to be able to grasp on to a point in order to reply to it.... so i'm just going to copy this for you so that you can perhaps reshape it in another post into something coherent.
Ok, well I was calling BS on your example for corruption in the US.
You said thisheck, our government has corruption (you may have heard about us passing a healthcare bill?).
How is that representative of corruption to what Bush did? Obama hasn't proven himself as totally corrupt as Bush. I am not saying that he isn't. I am saying that the healthcare bill is not an example of corruption in anywhere in the world. Perhaps you are capable of understanding that? Maybe?

Yeah, I wouldn't be too quick to declare victory if it was me. Wait and see what happens in Iraq after all the US troops are gone. It could very easily spiral out of control again, depending on the situation.

Since it's impossible to protect everyone in Baghdad against all attacks, in all situations, for whatever purpose, your concern is groundless.

ricksfolly

Since it's impossible to protect everyone in Baghdad against all attacks, in all situations, for whatever purpose, your concern is groundless.

ricksfolly

no, actually
he is spot on

WE deposed the iraqi dictator
the indigenous people of iraq were not adequately pissed off at his reign to rise up themselves and install a government they would themselves want instead
we gave them a democracy, complete with purple ink for their fingers
we gave iran a shiia dominated government next door, eliminating the sunni relationship it once had with the house of saud
it is not unthinkable to anticipate that iraq will soon move into the iranian sphere of influence, and for the government to move to something other than what we would describe as a democracy
stay tuned

at least they erected an iraqi statue in dubya bin lyin's "honor"
shoe1.jpg

Ok, well I was calling BS on your example for corruption in the US.

ah. well then you are correct only as a matter of scale; our politicians here generally get much larger bribes.

I am saying that the healthcare bill is not an example of corruption in anywhere in the world.

:lol: have you been under a rock the past couple of months?

so? how in the world does that alter the fact that we invaded, replaced their government, and then left them with a relatively free representative liberal state?

Yeah, liberal enough to have a civil war, just like we did, which they would have gotten on with by now if not for our 7 year military occupation that has cost US taxpayers 1 trillion dollars so far and 1000s of US troops to prop up our favorites, and the new Iraqi oil law we helped draw up that allows western oil back in Iraq for the first time in 35 years, when Iraq Nationalized their oil.

and you're wrong; Iraq did have the capacity to project force; they simply didn't have the capacity to succeed against US forces in the region that would oppose such a maneuver.

They only had a few defensive weapons left after the Persian Gulf war, which were allowed by UN treaty. They presented no more threat to the US than Grenada, perhaps less.

But it was scary seeing that fat old man shoot off a shotgun I suppose! :shock:

The truth.

No I don't think you are. The truth is pretty clear to see. You seem to prefer the haze of BS as if you can't see through the fog.

Your guess would be wrong.

Well, how can you not? Afghanistan would be in much better shape, as would the region, had we set them on the correct path in the 80s. Instead, we rolled the dice and people far from Afghanistan have died because of it.

Democracies are born, not forced at the end of gun by the most powerful military on the planet.

This bit of bumper sticker protest is exactly what I'm talking about. Our military forced no Iraqi to voter booths. They voted on the laws that would govern them without muzzles in their faces. In your haste to criticize, you merely voice for those who would rather rule than choose. You voice for the Hussein loyalists and declare them "Iraq." Are you so quick to brand the majority of Iraqis as having the mind set of the brutal minority who can only thrive under oppression and dominance?

The US is the one that pushed for and enforced the sanctions in order to try to force out the Saddam government that Nationalized Iraqi oil.

...And the greatest weapon supplier to Saddam Hussein was the Soviet Union, China and France. ...And someone took a picture of Rumsfeld shaking Hussein's hand. And the whole West was afraid to do the right thing in 1991 and instead opted for what was easy by maintaining him for "stability." This is history and you can butch about it all you want, but in the end, responsibility fell to the West. Shouldn't that mean that it was our responsibility to make it right? Leaving them to further suffer under "our" dictator was not an option. Neither was leaving him to parade around the Middle East. Eventually, his regime was going to pull us into another war. We may as well have done it under our terms.

Finally you get to the purpose of our wars and sanctions against Iraq.

What do you mean "finally?" Everything we have done in the Middle East since the 1950s has been about oil stability. But you avoid the reality of Iraq in order to celebrate bumper sticker protests. Would it have been easier to simply drop in a "friendlier" dictator or give the people opportunity? Why would we do it then? Could it be that conducting business with democracies has proven to offer the greatest stability over the decades? Certainly you wouldn't chalk it up to American generosity so what's the angle in giving Iraqis and Afghanis an opportunity at democracy and freedom that they wouldn't get otherwise?

Honest about the immorality of it. What I would prefer is that we buck up and be responsible for our own ass for a change.

You just refuse to grasp the reality of it. Morality is a luxury and usually just a convenient word used by protestors. With the world inventing, building, and prospering via oil, you really think that America would be just fine rubbing sticks together and building log cabins? Nothing wrong with an oil poweful Soviet Union or China while America's digging for coal is there? That fantasy aside...

What about the morality of offering freedom and democracy to populations we abandoned or prescribed oppression under dictators? Or does this kind of morality escape protestors as they define the word in other ways to satisfy the protest?

You're not being honest.

Last edited:
no, actually
he is spot on

No...he is not.

WE deposed the iraqi dictator
the indigenous people of iraq were not adequately pissed off at his reign to rise up themselves and install a government they would themselves want instead
we gave them a democracy, complete with purple ink for their fingers
we gave iran a shiia dominated government next door, eliminating the sunni relationship it once had with the house of saud
it is not unthinkable to anticipate that iraq will soon move into the iranian sphere of influence, and for the government to move to something other than what we would describe as a democracy

And you aren't either. The Sunni tribe is the enemy, not the Shia. It was the Shia who always sufferred in Iraq. It is the Shia that suffer in Saudi Arabia. It is the Sunni and their loyalists that slaughtered in Sudan. It is the Sunni that populate Al-Queda. It was the Sunni that slaughtered so many Shia in Iraq after Hussein. It is the Sunni that the Tali-Ban was rooted in. By all means, fear the Shia and their wrath.

Iran is a nation in transition. Iraq will reach out to other nations just like all nations do with their bordering neighbors. We are hardly Mexican because we trade with Mexico. France is hardly Italian. Iraq's Shia leaderhip is very well aware that Iran's theocracy model has failed and that democracy is the only path to the prosperity of the international world. Their relationship will be that of a bordering neighbor, not of a satellite loyalist. You do not know what you are talking about because you are embracing pessimism as a stage.

Being adequately "pissed off" at Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with it. They did rise up and each time they sufferred for it. Our support was merely to walk him back to his throne and to celebrate his existence for 12 years. The population of Iraq was petrified of defying and even organizing. It was a law for every room in every house to have a picture of Saddam Hussein on the walls. I find it pathetic and tragic that you believe that after what we did to maintain his power you pretend that he was the responsibility of only his population. This is mindless protesting without a good argument.

Last edited:
Yeah, liberal enough to have a civil war

;) keep up, Catawba. we're discussing Germany and Japan.

They only had a few defensive weapons left after the Persian Gulf war, which were allowed by UN treaty. They presented no more threat to the US than Grenada, perhaps less.

HAH. we counted more illegal missiles flying over our heads in two weeks than ole Hans Blix & co. found in ten years. And Saddam maintained a plenty strong offensive capability - for the area. again, even when he was at his weakest (immediately after the US destruction of much of his forces) he was able to put down not one but two major uprisings.

The truth is pretty clear to see.

Yes, the Pentagon divulged the truth when they reported no WMD and no Saddam/al Qaeda ties.

Well, how can you not? Afghanistan would be in much better shape, as would the region, had we set them on the correct path in the 80s. Instead, we rolled the dice and people far from Afghanistan have died because of it.

That's what happens every time we involve ourselves in regime change.

This bit of bumper sticker protest is exactly what I'm talking about. Our military forced no Iraqi to voter booths. They voted on the laws that would govern them without muzzles in their faces. In your haste to criticize, you merely voice for those who would rather rule than choose. You voice for the Hussein loyalists and declare them "Iraq." Are you so quick to brand the majority of Iraqis as having the mind set of the brutal minority who can only thrive under oppression and dominance?

I have as much faith in the Iraq elections credibility as I do on the corrupt government we set up in Afghanistan. If the Iraqis were so dissatisfied they would have rebelled against Saddam. All we have done is replace one corrupt government with another. This one has required 7 years of military occupation to prop up with a trillion dollars of US taxpayer money and thousands of US lives.

I would like to see them have a shot at determining their own future without the influence of military domination by the most powerful military on the planet.

...And the greatest weapon supplier to Saddam Hussein was the Soviet Union, China and France. ...And someone took a picture of Rumsfeld shaking Hussein's hand. And the whole West was afraid to do the right thing in 1991 and instead opted for what was easy by maintaining him for "stability."

is history and you can butch about it all you want, but in the end, responsibility fell to the West. Shouldn't that mean that it was our responsibility to make it right? Leaving them to further suffer under "our" dictator was not an option. Neither was leaving him to parade around the Middle East. Eventually, his regime was going to pull us into another war. We may as well have done it under our terms.

So you prefer to ignore that Reagan removed Iraq from the state terrorist listing and provided the precursor for the internationally banned mustard gas that he used against his own people? The reason we stopped after bombing Iraq back a century in the Persian Gulf War, because Iraq was no longer a threat to anyone. The only need to remove the Saddam regime was because they had nationalized Iraqi oil and kicked out Western oil.

What do you mean "finally?" Everything we have done in the Middle East since the 1950s has been about oil stability.

Oh that's right, I forgot that a free market stops at our borders.

But you avoid the reality of Iraq in order to celebrate bumper sticker protests. Would it have been easier to simply drop in a "friendlier" dictator or give the people opportunity? Why would we do it then? Could it be that conducting business with democracies has proven to offer the greatest stability over the decades? Certainly you wouldn't chalk it up to American generosity so what's the angle in giving Iraqis and Afghanis an opportunity at democracy and freedom that they wouldn't get otherwise?

If that were the case we would have ended our military occupation years ago and let them get on with it without our military interference in their affairs.

You just refuse to grasp the reality of it.

The reality of it is that it was all about making Iraq safe for the Western oil for the first time in 35 years, protected by the most powerful military on the planet.

Morality is a luxury and usually just a convenient word used by protestors.

Morality (or lack there of) is the only thing that separates us from terrorists.

With the world inventing, building, and prospering via oil, you really think that America would be just fine rubbing sticks together and building log cabins? Nothing wrong with an oil poweful Soviet Union or China while America's digging for coal is there? That fantasy aside...

Little late thinking about that now aren't you? We've known for 40 years that we could no longer produce as much oil as we consumed.

Our lack of planning does not justify killing other people for their oil.
What about the morality of offering freedom and democracy to populations we abandoned or prescribed oppression under dictators? Or does this kind of morality escape protestors as they define the word in other ways to satisfy the protest?

Complete and utter bull****. If Saddam were still allowing Western oil in Iraq and accepting our bribes for sweet deals, we would would still be supporting him, just as we did when he was at his murderous worst.

You're not being honest.

I am being completely honest. You just can't handle knowing that we would start a war over oil.

;) keep up, Catawba. we're discussing Germany and Japan.

As they relate to Iraq.

HAH. we counted more illegal missiles flying over our heads in two weeks than ole Hans Blix & co. found in ten years. And Saddam maintained a plenty strong offensive capability - for the area. again, even when he was at his weakest (immediately after the US destruction of much of his forces) he was able to put down not one but two major uprisings.

Afraid I have to go with the Pentagon in their findings that there were no WMD and no al Qaeda ties to Saddam.

Cheney and his oil cronies task force spelled out our reasons for regime change in Iraq 2 years before we invaded their country:

"So, we come to the report’s central dilemma: the American people continue to demand plentiful and cheap energy without sacrifice or inconvenience."

"This Independent Task Force Report outlines some of the hard choices that should be considered and recommends specific policy approaches to secure the energy future of the United States. These choices will affect other U.S. policy objectives: U.S. policy toward the Middle East...."

"U.S. strategic energy policy must prioritize and coordinate domestic and foreign policy choices and objectives, where possible."

"This executive summary and the full report address the following questions. What are the potential effects of the critical energy situation for the United States? How did this critical energy situation arise? What are the U.S. policy options to deal with the energy situation? What should the United States do now?"

"it is clear that energy disruptions could have a potentially enormous impact on the U.S. and the world economy, and would affect U.S. national security and foreign policy in dramatic ways."

"An accident on the Alaska pipeline that brings the bulk of North Slope crude oil to market would have the same impact as a revolution cutting off supplies from a major Middle East oil producer."

"And with spare capacity scarce and Middle East tensions high, chances are greater than at any point in the last two decades of an oil supply disruption that would even more severely test the nation’s security and prosperity."

"What are the U.S. policy options to deal with the energy situation?"

"the United States could develop a comprehensive and balanced energy security policy with near-term actions and long-term initiatives addressing both the supply side and demand side including diversification of energy supply resources, which would enable the United States to escape from a pattern of recurring energy crises."

"More flexible environmental regulation and opening of more federal lands to drilling might slow but cannot stop this process."

"For the most part, U.S. international oil policy has relied on maintenance of free access to Middle East Gulf oil and free access for Gulf exports to world markets."

"These Gulf allies are finding their domestic and foreign policy interests increasingly at odds with U.S. strategic considerations, especially as Arab-Israeli tensions flare. They have become less inclined to lower oil prices in exchange for security of markets, and evidence suggests that investment is not being made in a timely enough manner to increase production capacity in line with growing global needs. A trend toward anti-Americanism could affect regional leaders’ ability to cooperate with the United States in the energy area."

"The August 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait witnessed a major test of global energy security."

" Bitter perceptions in the Arab world that the United States has not been evenhanded in brokering peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians have exacerbated these pressures on Saudi Arabia and other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries and given political leverage to Iraq’s Saddam Hussein to lobby for support among the Arab world’s populations."

"A reopening of these areas to foreign investment could make a critical difference in providing surplus supplies to markets in the coming decade."

"To guarantee that mechanisms are in place for warding off and, if necessary, for managing disruptions to energy supply."

"The Gulf nations have one major asset—their oil and gas reserves. "

"It is also in the strategic interest of the United States to assure that appropriate national and international mechanisms are in place to prevent disruptions in energy supplies where possible, and to manage efficiently and equitably any disruption that might occur."

"Providing adequate safeguards, both at home and abroad, against energy supply disruptions and against manipulation of markets by any party, state or private."

"Over the past year, Iraq has effectively become a swing producer, turning its taps on and off when it has felt such action was in its strategic interest to do so."

"Still, the IEA must be assured of efficient joint decision-making in the event of a supply disruption under tight market conditions. This includes any possibility that Saddam Hussein may remove Iraqi oil from the market for an extended period of time..."

"The administration needs to ensure that recent events do not derail this past success."

"Iraq remains a destabilizing influence to U.S. allies in the Middle East, as well as to regional and global order, and to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East. Saddam Hussein has also demonstrated a willingness to threaten to use the oil weapon and to use his own export program to manipulate oil markets."

"The United States should conduct an immediate policy review toward Iraq, including military, energy, economic, and political/diplomatic assessments."

"Once an arms-control program is in place, the United States could consider reducing restrictions on oil investments inside Iraq. Like it or not, Iraqi reserves represent a major asset that can quickly add capacity to world oil markets and inject a more competitive tenor to oil trade."

"Another problem with easing restrictions on the Iraqi oil industry to allow greater investment is that GCC allies of the United States will not like to see Iraq gain larger market share in international oil markets."

"Middle East Gulf crude oil currently makes up around 25 percent of world oil supply, but could rise to 30–40 percent during the next decade as the region’s key producers pursue higher investments to capture expanding demand for oil in Asia and the developing world. If political factors were to block the development of new oil fields in the Gulf, the ramifications for world oil markets could be quite severe."

"While there is no question that this investment is vitally important to U.S. interests, there is strong opposition to any such reopening among key segments of the Saudi and Kuwaiti populations."

"More oil could likely be brought into the market place in the coming years if oil-field development could be enhanced by participation of U.S. companies in countries where such investments are currently banned"

STRATEGIC ENERGY POLICY CHALLENGES

Yes, the Pentagon divulged the truth when they reported no WMD and no Saddam/al Qaeda ties.

No..this would be more of that fog you prefer to pretend prevents the truth from being clear. Truth, being too incomprehensible, guarantees the senseless bitching.

You've got to be one of the very few left holding out on the protest that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or WMD. Perhaps you should remove the fog and look at the situation and assess it truthfully for a change. If there was no WMD and he was no immediate threat...then what is the reason for why would we remove him and ignite a democracy? Answering this means that you have to slide by the senseless bitching.

That's what happens every time we involve ourselves in regime change.

You avoided again. After helping them organize to fight the Soviets, would Afghanistan be in better shape had we set them on the correct path rather than rolling the dice? Avoid the reality all you want, but reality happens. Perhaps you aren't aware of this, but avoiding foriegn entanglements have always cost more American lives in the end. How long would it have taken for the Soviet Union to cost millions of American lives because we "refused to engage?" How long would it take for the Middle East to work itself into something that will cost hundreds of thousands of American lives if we merely pretend that we can "minding our own business?" Minding our own business introduced the world to two world wars. There does exist lessons.

Complain about smaller activities all you want, but it's those activities that hold back the big ones.

I have as much faith in the Iraq elections credibility as I do on the corrupt government we set up in Afghanistan.

Even the French had to vote in Napolean before they emerged from their decades of internal terror and got democracy right. I guarantee Iraqis get it right quicker with ours and the international community's help. Your "faith" is mere pessimism because you feel you must protest to your dying breath. Even the French quickly dropped a consulate building in Iraq once the international business started introducing itself.

We set up the same government in Afghanistan as we did Iraq. It's their culture that created the corruption. They too will work it out as the source of that corruption gets weeded out by their own.

If the Iraqis were so dissatisfied they would have rebelled against Saddam.

And if Germans were so dissatisfied with Hitler they would have simply rebelled and emerged successful. But people would have you believe that not all Germans were celebratory of Hitler's carnage (I guess white Europeans get the benefit of the doubt whereas brown Muslims get ****). History is full of oppressed and brutalized people unable to organize and lead successful campaigns against their brutes. Today, history has brought us to a period of globalization where one population's oppression and civil injustice affects things far from borders. Pretending otherwise will get you no where.

You don't really know much about the Iraqis do you? Hussein's army and police force were almost entirely made of the Sunni. Those few Shia in power that were in the south were watched very closely. Which means that any defiance was half-assed and loosely organized amongst watchful eyes. Even the Sunni spied on each other for fear of being accused of being a part of anything that defied Saddam Hussein. The Sunni terrorized the Shia. The Shia did rebell. Even under Clinton, they were slaughtered for their defiances. Do you even know that President Clinton ordered four separate bombing campaigns over Iraq during his 8 year term? Was this the way to do business? Contain a dictator we should have killed and merely bomb his cities out whenever he steps out of line?

But besides all of this, the thorn was Hussein and he needed to be removed opne way or another. If the Shia in Iraq couldn't do it then we would.

I would like to see them have a shot at determining their own future without the influence of military domination by the most powerful military on the planet.

Well, that's exactly what they have. After determining that Hussein's further existence would serve the West greater than an Iraq in the people's hands back in 1991, I fail to see where prior to 2003 that Iraqis had the ability to determine anything. I'm starting to see that you use "Iraqi" to equal only the Sunni. Many Iraqis rejoiced when Hussein was toppled because many more were not Sunni. Only the once empowered Sunni pouted and ignited slaughter (their behavior didn't work out very well in the end.)

So you prefer to ignore that Reagan removed Iraq from the state terrorist listing and provided the precursor for the internationally banned mustard gas that he used against his own people?

There's no reason to ignore anything. This is the history. You may as well chastize the American government for daring to call the Soviet Union an enemy after WWII. You're the one dodging the issues in favor of senseless black/white protest. You also seem to have a fetish with hating Reagan. Regean dealt with him as the shield in front of Khomeini. Bush dealt with him after he invaded Kuwait and ruptured the oil stability of the region. Clinton criticized Bush for allowing him to go home and wound up bombing him four separate times. Son of Bush was more than prepared to do the same until 9/11. Osama Bin Laden used the containment mission to justify 9/11. And in 2003, we faced our responsibilities and removed ourselves from the corrupt mission.

The reason we stopped after bombing Iraq back a century in the Persian Gulf War, because Iraq was no longer a threat to anyone. The only need to remove the Saddam regime was because they had nationalized Iraqi oil and kicked out Western oil.

Well, we didn't stop bombing him did we? But this aside....since we can agree that Hussein was of no immediate threat, why then remove him after 9/11? Why not simply replace him with another dictator that would give all of his oil to the evil American empire? Answering this means you will have to get past the protestor brick wall of complaining.

Oh that's right, I forgot that a free market stops at our borders.

What does this have to do about anything? I talked about oil being a matter of warfare since the 1950s and you carry on about a free market as if the Soviet Union wasn't seeking to dominate the region. Last I checked they weren't about the free market and therefore demanded Western competition for the resource. Avoiding again? Complaining about a war that freed people and offerred them something we denied them for over a decade as a simpleton's cry of "No War For Oil," is avoiding the ugly truth about the global demand for oil. But speaking of free markets...now Iraq can play. I guess it doesn't stop at the American borders. But if you had it your way, Iraq would still not be a player today.

If that were the case we would have ended our military occupation years ago and let them get on with it without our military interference in their affairs.

You are avoiding again. Why would we seek to ignite a democracy in this region when a handy dandy dictator would have sufficed? "Our" military interference is why they aren't on an Al-Queda/Tali-ban path today. Leaving years ago would have cost "our" military much more deaths later.

The reality of it is that it was all about making Iraq safe for the Western oil for the first time in 35 years, protected by the most powerful military on the planet.

Safe under a dictator or safe under a democracy in a region that has never really had the opportunity thanks to the West's dictators? Avoid all you want, but you are talking in circles to cling to senseless griping.

Morality (or lack there of) is the only thing that separates us from terrorists.

And dictators only when convenient, right? But protestors often define the word as anything that allows them to wash their hands of their responsibility. Morality means allowing others to suffer at our prescriptions and cheering for them to step up against the odds we placed in front of them? Give me a break. Sooner or later the dominoes of colonialism and the Cold War have to stop falling. If Iraq prefers dictators, then they will fail. If they prefer democracies, then they will succeed. Thus far they have fought very hard for democracy and an international relationship.

Little late thinking about that now aren't you? We've known for 40 years that we could no longer produce as much oil as we consumed.

Well, it's a little late for a lot of things. Such is history and the learning of mistakes. But you're avoiding again. The Soviet Union and China know as well as the intelligent world that oil builds the militaries that dominate the globe. It was the lack of oil import that really knocked out Germany. It was oil (88 percent from America's reserves and business) that feuled the Allies on. With them seeking to gobble up after WWII, there was no choice but to involve ourseleves in the race if only to deny them their influence for it.

But the Cold War is over now isn't it? One day we will be off oil. But in the mean time, look around your house and start the exhaustive count of oil products throughout. Reality will always trump sanctimonous gibberish.

Our lack of planning does not justify killing other people for their oil.

Killing them for it or freeing them for it? If it was just a matter of killing them for it a handy dandy dictator would have sufficed after Hussein wouldn't it? Besides I see through your crocodile tears. You didn't shed any for them when Hussein was pumping oil for food or when Hussein was given back his throne in 1991. Prior to 2003, this would have been the only real opportunity for the Kurds and the Shia to rebel successfully. But we denied it then didn't we? Back to that "morality" (or lack thereof) word.

Complete and utter bull****. If Saddam were still allowing Western oil in Iraq and accepting our bribes for sweet deals, we would would still be supporting him, just as we did when he was at his murderous worst.

Oh, I'm about to embarras you now...

You see...the "if" game just doesn't work here. What are the facts? The Cold War is over and it is within where we turned our backs on "our" dictators as they kept the "peace." It seems like America is moving on from this period despite your demands to concrete within. "If" the population of Iraq would have behaved niceley under a Western friendly dictator, then why a democracy? Still avoiding this. You just can't come to acknowledging "because it was the right thing to do" for fear that you may chink away at your protestor stage. And maintaining that at all costs really matters.

I am being completely honest. You just can't handle knowing that we would start a war over oil.

I don't think you are and I believe I'm the one that stated that we have been playing the oil stability game long before 2003. Maybe you can't handle that. If you are being honest then you have made yourself useless to the topic because you unwittingly keep avoiding the truths.

But you know what? After all your bitching and refusals to get past the brick walls that protestors create for themseleves, Iraq got invaded and they have a democracy. So what really does your stubborn self righteous status do for you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom