• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marine officer receives reprimand for Afghanistan criticism

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

10/15/21
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) — A military judge issued a reprimand for a Marine lieutenant colonel and ordered him to forfeit $5,000 in pay Friday for his criticism of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, his attorney said. The decision from Col. Glen Hines followed the guilty plea Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller entered Thursday during a special court-martial at Camp Lejeune. Scheller faced six charges, including contempt toward officials and conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman. Scheller now awaits a decision on whether he will be honorably discharged from the Marines or be given a general discharge under honorable conditions, according to his attorney, Tim Parlatore. Marine regulations define a general discharge under honorable conditions as one that acknowledges acceptable service with an instance of misconduct. “We're very happy with the results,” Parlatore told The Associated Press. “The judge was very well reasoned as he considered all the evidence. I think he gave a very intelligent sentence and reasoning for his sentence.”

Parlatore said Scheller is “both relieved and satisfied” about the judge’s ruling. “He made a decision to bring attention to these issues at the expense of his own career,” Parlatore said. “There is a sense of satisfaction that, at least, what he sacrificed his career for, which is to get this message out, that it was heard.” Parlatore said that in going through Scheller's service record, the judge made a strong case for the secretary of the Navy giving him an honorable discharge. In an Aug. 26 video posted on Facebook, Scheller said he was willing to risk his career to call out military leaders regarding the withdrawal from Afghanistan after 13 U.S. troops were killed in Kabul. “I am willing to throw it all away to say to my senior leaders: I demand accountability,” he said in the video while wearing a camouflage uniform. Scheller followed that comment with a series of social media posts, including an Aug. 29 video in which he resigned his commission and said “follow me and we will bring down the whole … system.” On Thursday, he said that remark was meant “in a constitutional manner.”

Lt. Col. Scheller received support from the far-right fringe of the Republican Party - Rep. Marjory Taylor Greene (R/GA) and Rep. Louie Gohmert (R/TX).

Although I basically agree with his message, I don't agree with Scheller promulgating that message while still in uniform.

Lt. Col. Scheller received support from the far-right fringe of the Republican Party - Rep. Marjory Taylor Greene (R/GA) and Rep. Louie Gohmert (R/TX).

Although I basically agree with his message, I don't agree with Scheller promulgating that message while still in uniform.

Slightly different treatment than President Trump meted out for people who spoke out and LEGALLY said things that he didn't want said, eh wot?

Yeah I agree with his general complaint that people in charge of the shitshow that the withdrawal turned into need to be held accountable, him doing so while in uniform is and should always be not tolerated and punished severely.

The real dilemma will come when the military decides on what type of discharge Lt. Col. Scheller will receive. An Honorable or General under Honorable Conditions. Anybody have a coin? :unsure:

You do know that not every thread has to be about trump right.

Just pointing out the difference between the way this situation (which involved a clear and admitted breach of the law and regulations) and the one where the President got into a snit fit and fired someone mere hours before their pension vested.

The real dilemma will come when the military decides on what type of discharge Lt. Col. Scheller will receive. An Honorable or General under Honorable Conditions. Anybody have a coin? :unsure:

The Colonel has agreed that he will resign his commission and leave the military. The odds on the military taking any vindictive actions against him (likely those would be in contravention of his 'plea bargain' in any event) are close to nil. The military wants the file CLOSED on this situation.

A general discharge under honorable conditions qualifies for

VA health care,
TRICARE's Continued Health Care Benefit Program (military health insurance),
VA disability compensation,
VA pension,
VA home loans,
and
all other veterans benefits except for educational benefits under the Montgomery or Post-9/11 GI Bill.
I doubt that the Colonel will be seriously impacted if he did get a "General under Honorable Conditions" discharge.

Last edited:
The Colonel has agreed that he will resign his commission and leave the military. The odds on the military taking any vindictive actions against him (likely those would be in contravention of his 'plea bargain' in any event) are close to nil. The military wants the file CLOSED on this situation.

A general discharge under honorable conditions qualifies for
VA health care,​
TRICARE's Continued Health Care Benefit Program (military health insurance),​
VA disability compensation,​
VA pension,​
VA home loans,​
and​
all other veterans benefits except for educational benefits under the Montgomery or Post-9/11 GI Bill.​
I doubt that the Colonel will be seriously impacted if he did get a "General under Honorable Conditions" discharge.
I had wondered where Scheller stood concerning his VA bennies upon his commission resignation/discharge. He mainly forfeited his officer's retirement if not mistaken. Thing is, he could start up a gofundme page and probably pull more $$$$ than his juicy military retirement.

The real dilemma will come when the military decides on what type of discharge Lt. Col. Scheller will receive. An Honorable or General under Honorable Conditions.

No question here, Honorable. He only had a Special Court Martial, and already got his sentence. And a discharge is not part of his sentence.

With only a single incident in his career, that only got a "slap on the wrist" sentence and no discharge mandated? He's getting an Honorable.

In fact, a GUHC is one of the rarest discharges there is. Generally only enlisted that screwed up enough to get kicked out, but not bad enough to get a OTH or BCD get one. Not somebody with an 18 year career and only a single incident that did not even get a reduction in rank.

And a "Letter of Reprimand"? That is almost meaningless in the military, other than if you are trying tor a promotion or higher position.

And a discharge is not part of his sentence.
Scheller now awaits a decision on whether he will be honorably discharged from the Marines or be given a general discharge under honorable conditions, according to his attorney

His type of discharge is pending, correct?

Of course, by his own choice.

And an 18 year career with only a Letter of Reprimand? Honorable Discharge.

Most likely as that is the surest way of shutting down the whole mess quietly and quickly.

The Army started offering retirement at 15 years, before I retired in 2013 (I already had 20.) Anyone know if the Marines offer this?

Most likely as that is the surest way of shutting down the whole mess quietly and quickly.

Well, he knew his career was over. If he had not offered to resign, he likely would have commanded a desk for the next two years at some forgotten hole. Maybe overseeing the field mess restoration facility at the MCLB Barstow. There are tons of almost useless jobs to shove people like that into. Which will see them retire at the same rank but have no meaningful responsibilities and never be promoted again.

And to be honest, I agree. I know I would not want to follow a Battalion or Regimental Commander that had done something like that. He was actually the commander of the Infantry Training Battalion at Camp Geiger. That is actually a very well respected position, and he was probably looking at a star at least before he retired. But doing something like that completely ruined his career. And I would not want to follow somebody acting like that into combat.

The Army started offering retirement at 15 years, before I retired in 2013 (I already had 20.) Anyone know if the Marines offer this?

The CSB/REDUX Retirement System is still in effect for all branches of the US military.

The Colonel will be receiving (assuming that I have the numbers correct) a pension of around 30% of his basic pay.

Well, he knew his career was over. If he had not offered to resign, he likely would have commanded a desk for the next two years at some forgotten hole. Maybe overseeing the field mess restoration facility at the MCLB Barstow. There are tons of almost useless jobs to shove people like that into. Which will see them retire at the same rank but have no meaningful responsibilities and never be promoted again.

And to be honest, I agree. I know I would not want to follow a Battalion or Regimental Commander that had done something like that. He was actually the commander of the Infantry Training Battalion at Camp Geiger. That is actually a very well respected position, and he was probably looking at a star at least before he retired. But doing something like that completely ruined his career. And I would not want to follow somebody acting like that into combat.

That would be totally unacceptable for a person of his rank.

Most likely he would have received another training command and would have been placed in command of the "USMC Liaison and Training Detachment to The Canadian Rangers (in its temporary facilities 97 miles due East of Tuktoyuktuk).

The CSB/REDUX Retirement System is still in effect for all branches of the US military.

The Colonel will be receiving (assuming that I have the numbers correct) a pension of around 30% of his basic pay.
That's about selecting the career status bonus at 15 years (it was $30K when I retired, I believe) and getting reduced retirement payments, not about retiring with fewer than 20 years.

That would be totally unacceptable for a person of his rank.

Actually not. There are a lot of such positions in the military. Go to any Division or higher command and you see Light Birds flying all kinds of desks. And knowing the Marines, there are even others.

One often held by Majors (but sometimes Light Birds) are as "Camp Commanders". Specifically all of those in Okinawa. They always have a Colonel in command of the Regiment or other senior command, then a Major or Lieutenant Colonel who is in charge of the "Camp" itself. Largely, a paper pusher that is only responsible for the facility itself, and has no command of any of the people stationed there. I know for a fact that at least in the 1980's and early 1990's that was a frequent parking place for them. Either it would be some very young Major that needed more desk experience, or some old Major that was close to retirement and there was nowhere else to send them as they would never turn in their bronze oak leaves for silver ones.

I know for a fact that both Camp Hansen and Camp Schwab had Majors as Camp Commanders (but one had replaced a LtCol), even though both were the base for a Marine Infantry Regiment. They kept the camp itself operating, and in the event that the Regiment ever had to take off somewhere, they could also command the rear detachment that was left behind. At most, maybe a couple of hundred under them, all in some kind of logistical or administrative capacity. Things like running the base pool, the library, theater, and meeting the local officials once a month to listen to their complaints about the drunken Marines on weekends.

Most likely he would have received another training command

And no, the last thing he would have gotten was another training command. Those are actually the second most coveted positions, and not given to those that can not maintain their bearing and follow the rules. The fact that he had one with his length of service (and had previously commanded an Infantry Battalion), before that his next stop would likely have been as a Colonel in command of an Infantry Regiment. But he screwed the pooch there. And the same with any kind of liaison unit, only the best go to those.

And no, the last thing he would have gotten was another training command. Those are actually the second most coveted positions, and not given to those that can not maintain their bearing and follow the rules. The fact that he had one with his length of service (and had previously commanded an Infantry Battalion), before that his next stop would likely have been as a Colonel in command of an Infantry Regiment. But he screwed the pooch there. And the same with any kind of liaison unit, only the best go to those.

You obviously stopped reading before you hit the

placed in command of the "USMC Liaison and Training Detachment to
The Canadian Rangers
(in its temporary facilities 97 miles due East of Tuktoyaktuk)

bit.

Here is what the Canadian Rangers

CANADIAN RANGERS1.JPG

look like

CANADIAN RANGERS2.JPG

AND here is where Tuktoyaktuk is located.

TUKTOYAKTUK.JPG

placed in command of the "USMC Liaison and Training Detachment to
The Canadian Rangers
(in its temporary facilities 97 miles due East of Tuktoyaktuk)

Which is still part of the Canadian Army. They are paid by the Army, and have Army Officers as much of the staff. Has jurisdictional (legal) authority, and often trains with the Army (most often teaching the Army wilderness survival techniques). They are parts of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Canadian Divisions. Also, the majority are Inuit and First Nations.

So once again, no. You may think of them as a joke, I do not.

Which is still part of the Canadian Army. They are paid by the Army, and have Army Officers as much of the staff. Has jurisdictional (legal) authority, and often trains with the Army (most often teaching the Army wilderness survival techniques). They are parts of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Canadian Divisions. Also, the majority are Inuit and First Nations.

So once again, no. You may think of them as a joke, I do not.

The total strength of the Canadian Rangers is approximately 5,000.

The total population of Tuktoyaktuk is around 870.

There are approximately 12 Canadian Rangers (not counting "The Junior Rangers") in Tuktoyaktuk.

Sending a Lt. Colonel off to be the "USMC Liaison and Training Officer" to "The Tuktoyaktuk Patrol" is hardly a "command or training position" as there are no USMC personnel there and the locals know more about what the job is and how to do it than the Lt. Col. does.

The Canadian Rangers are not a joke but the position of "USMC Liaison and Training Officer" to "The Tuktoyaktuk Patrol" most certainly is. Even if he hadn't already submitted a resignation, anyone posted as "USMC Liaison and Training Officer" to "The Tuktoyaktuk Patrol" would get the message that their services were no longer desired (especially since the position is an "unaccompanied" posting) and even more so when they were told that they would be living 75 miles outside of Tuktoyaktuk.

Back
Top Bottom