• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Marijuana Addictive?

Squawker

Professor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have never smoked the stuff, but I didn't think marijuana was addictive. Have things changed?

Mar 4, 12:48 PM (ET)

By KEVIN FREKING
WASHINGTON (AP) - The admission rate for those who seek treatment for marijuana use nearly tripled between 1992 and 2002, according to the latest data compiled by the federal government.
The numbers released Friday reflect a growing use of marijuana in the 1990s and an increase in the potency of marijuana, said Tom Riley, a spokesman for the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy.
"This report makes clear what people in the public health community have known for years, which is marijuana is a much more dangerous drug than many Americans realize," Riley said. "This report is a wake up call for parents that marijuana is not a soft drug. It's a much bigger part of the addiction problem than is generally understood."
The study on treatment rates was conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which estimated that 41 states experienced an increase in the number of people who sought treatment for marijuana use during the decade studied.
Overall, the admission rates rose from 45 per 100,000 people in 1992 to 118 per 100,000 people in 2002, which is the latest year such numbers are available.
"Marijuana is not a harmless substance, and these treatment trends emphasize that point, said Charlie Cook, the administrator for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Source

Marijuana isn't physically addictive (like nicotine or caffeine) but psychologically addictive (like gambling). I can pull up some cites if ya need 'em.

It will also send a small percentage of people into psychosis. Not nice.

I can pull up some cites if ya need 'em.
No thanks, I was just curious as to what has changed. A plant is a plant, what did they do to it to make it more potent or have they done anything?

Squawker said:
No thanks, I was just curious as to what has changed. A plant is a plant, what did they do to it to make it more potent or have they done anything?
Not a smoker here, but I used to know some people who are. (Ahh, my old college days). The plant hasn't changed but what the marijuana is cultivated and then cut with has changed. Sometimes it's laced with cocaine, PCP, THC, or other chemicals and these additives could and sometimes do have addictive qualities to them.

oic, thanks shuamort. That leads to more addiction then. Vicious cycle that we all pay for. We have two methadone clinics in my area, drugs up here were unheard of in the sixties. Some pot in the seventies, more pot in the eighties, pot and cocaine in the nineties.

shuamort said:
Not a smoker here, but I used to know some people who are. (Ahh, my old college days). The plant hasn't changed but what the marijuana is cultivated and then cut with has changed. Sometimes it's laced with cocaine, PCP, THC, or other chemicals and these additives could and sometimes do have addictive qualities to them.

I'm a musician, so believe me, I've come in contact with the stuff...but to save my reputation, I stopped long ago when I joined the military. I wasn't about to go through 8 weeks of hell in basic training to get busted for having a toke!

In fact...to this day, I can't go to the bathroom unless it's in a little bottle with my social security number on the outside! ROTFL!

As far as the above...I don't believe most pot is laced with anything....why would any drug dealer put an expensive item like cocaine in pot...pcp..possibly? Pcp is cheap and is commonly known as animal tranquilizer, but still, I think this is very rare....pcp isn't easy to get in large quantities...unless you happen to know a vet, or have a large livestock farm?

THC is the active psychotic ingredient of pot, so why would anyone put THC in pot? I think this is more of a matter of scare tactics...trying to keep kids from experimenting.

Actually, the plant has changed a great deal from the "old days." It's far more potent now then it used to be...mainly because of keeping female plants separate from the males and avoiding pollination.

Once a female is pollinated, the plant puts all its effort into making seeds, and forgoes making the active ingredient of THC, so as soon as males are identified, they're destroyed.

Also...horticultural advances....artificial sunlight..red and blue rays in exact amounts...precise fertilizer measurements... grafting of strong desirable plants...etc.

I think it should be legalized...we've wasted billions of dollars fighting a war we can never win....after all...it's a weed....we all know how difficult it is to get rid of weeds.

(Sheesh...everyone's gonna think I'm the resident druggie now! LOL)

Before I forget...I never inhaled.

Here's a link to "street" terms (oh, them whippersnappers!) of marijuana, inclusive of the laced versions. I just proffered the idea of it being laced as a reason why addiction could be increasing.

http://www.intheknowzone.com/marijuana/street_names.htm

Marijuana and crack rolled in a joint

Jim Jones
Marijuana laced with cocaine and PCP

Amp
Amphetamine; marijuana dipped in formaldehyde or embalming fluid, sometimes laced with PCP and smoked

Juice joint
Marijuana cigarette sprinkled with crack

A-bomb
Marijuana cigarette with heroin or opium

yadda yadda yadda

Amp
Amphetamine; marijuana dipped in formaldehyde or embalming fluid, sometimes laced with PCP and smoked
That sounds deadly. :doh
I think it should be legalized...we've wasted billions of dollars fighting a war we can never win....
Ya know Hoot, I am almost inclined to agree with you. Make it legal, and tax the hell out of it. Look at what they have done with smokers. They are a social outcast and the states are making money hand over fist with the taxes they extort. The black market is going to exist in both cases, but it's worth a shot.

shuamort said:
Here's a link to "street" terms (oh, them whippersnappers!) of marijuana, inclusive of the laced versions. I just proffered the idea of it being laced as a reason why addiction could be increasing.

http://www.intheknowzone.com/marijuana/street_names.htm

Marijuana and crack rolled in a joint

Jim Jones
Marijuana laced with cocaine and PCP

Amp

Juice joint
Marijuana cigarette sprinkled with crack

A-bomb
Marijuana cigarette with heroin or opium

yadda yadda yadda

I agree with that...I may have misunderstood?

Once someone buys pot, I think they lace it with all manner of things?

I remember back in the late 60's, a friend used to soak his pot in Cabernet Sauvignon! ROTFL! He swore it improved the taste?

I don't think street pot is laced with anything, though...too expensive, and the stuff sells itself anyway...why lace it?

Now after the purchase...well, anything can happen.

My son asked me about it once, and I was honest with him. I told him it was a plant...Mother Nature. I warned him it was the pills that he should truely be wary of...you don't know if some acid head put 100's times the amount on that little pill by accident cause he's having a bad trip and doesn't know what he's doing? But a plant, is pretty much a plant...unless someone laces it...but I think that's after the fact.

Squawker said:
I have never smoked the stuff, but I didn't think marijuana was addictive. Have things changed?

Source

As the person said before me, they lace the stuff on the street to make it more addictive so that people come back and start paying more and more each time. By the end, they are so hooked on the high feeling that they will do a hell of a lot to get that high again.

And since you ahve never smoked it, you wouldn't understand the high that you really get. my friend gave the stuff up, and it was really hard because he had to make a concious effort not to go near it becasue the temptation would be so great.

Last edited:
pot is not addictive, and yes i will admit i have smoked it usto on a regular basis, as well as other drugs on a not so regular basis, but I'm not going to go into all of that. i quite smoking on alot of different occasions with no with drawl symptoms, so their for i fell it is non addictive. also of the other drugs iv done some of them are considered very addictive, i never became dependent on them, and i don't feal any of them have effected me in any adverse ways. i believe my extermination with drugs has opened my mind and made me more excepting to the world around me and has given me a greater appreciation for life love and the pursuit of happiness. so their for i believe that a drug is only addictive to the week minded people that let it control them. oh ye and as fare as lacing pot with other drugs, thats all done after the fact, the dealers don't do it, and this concludes drugs 101.

Well I agree with Hoot. The plant has changed greatly over the past 30 years. In the sixty when people bought "pot" they got mainly leaves and seeds. In the seventies much of the same but you started to see "Buds" or flowers. Then the growers figured out by separating the male and female plants the buds wouldn't develop seeds. Finally they stopped growing the male plants almost at all. Growing them only to obtain enough to gather some pollen to pollinate a few females and get seeds for the next years crop. As all this was happening they cross strains and developed more and more potent genetics varieties. It use to be people smoke joints or even several joints to get “high” now the THC content is such that a few “hits” on a pipe and you’re, as they say, “baked.”

People used to regularly buy “Lids” or ounces now they buy an 1/8 of an ounce. And it used to be most of the marijuana used in this country was imported from south of our border. Now most of it’s grown right here. A lot of it in and around neighborhoods and schools where you wouldn’t expect it. Mainly because primarily most marijuana is now grown in doors under high powered lights. These indoor set ups can range from almost an entire home to a closet in some teenagers bedroom. There’s a whole industry out there selling supplies to these “grow rooms” and it’s all perfectly legal. The only thing they can’t sell you is the seeds. For that you’ll have to send away to another country such as the UK, where it’s legal to sell seeds. Here’s a link where you can buy your seeds to get started.

http://www.seedsdirect.to/

And you’re going to need some lights and other supplies so try here:

http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/

Or here:

http://www.advancedindooragriculture.com/

And once you grow the stuff you’ll want some help with the harvest so go here:

http://www.greenharvest.ca/catalog/

Of course after all that you’ll want to smoke some and there’s always that nasty problem of what to do if “The Man” at your work wants you to pee in a little cup and prove you’re not smoking dope so you’ll need to go here as well:

http://www.thewhizzinator.com/forms/whiz11.htm

Ok Hoot who sounds like the local druggie now? I used to be a parole officer and I took several courses on how to spot hidden grow sites/rooms. I seen a few set ups. Some big, some small. One guy had an complete odor control venting system that force feed all the air out of the room through charcoal filters. He had an entire bedroom set up to grow plants that were “budding” and another entire bedroom set up to grow plants that weren’t ready to flower yet. The light cycles for the plants in the different stages need to be different.

skabanger13 said:
pot is not addictive, and yes i will admit i have smoked it usto on a regular basis, as well as other drugs on a not so regular basis, but I'm not going to go into all of that. i quite smoking on alot of different occasions with no with drawl symptoms, so their for i fell it is non addictive. also of the other drugs iv done some of them are considered very addictive, i never became dependent on them, and i don't feal any of them have effected me in any adverse ways. i believe my extermination with drugs has opened my mind and made me more excepting to the world around me and has given me a greater appreciation for life love and the pursuit of happiness. so their for i believe that a drug is only addictive to the week minded people that let it control them. oh ye and as fare as lacing pot with other drugs, thats all done after the fact, the dealers don't do it, and this concludes drugs 101.

I agree with that. There's no reason for a "dealer" to spend his/her hard earned money lacing your weed to make it more potent. Weed that's getting laced is getting laced by the end user.

Back
Top Bottom