• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marijuana access is associated with decreased use of alcohol, tobacco and other prescription drugs

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/opinion/healthc...ted-with-decreased-use-of-alcohol-tobacco-and

A significant amount of data has been generated in recent years showing that cannabis access is associated with reduced levels of opioid use and abuse. But emerging data also indicates that many patients similarly substitute marijuana for a variety of other substances, including alcohol, tobacco and benzodiazepines.

Last month, a team of researchers from Canada and the United States surveyed over 2,000 federally registered medical cannabis patients with regard to their use of cannabis and other substances. (Medical cannabis access has been legal across Canada for nearly two decades).
=====================================================
As a past daily MJ abuser, I have mixed emotions about its legalization. In the hands (& lungs) of teenagers it is bad news because their brains & minds are still developing. But the MJ available today is so much more potent than the ditch weed I smoked back in the 70s & 80s that it's scary. Just before I quit cold turkey & flushed my stash, it was making me paranoid. Euphoria is fun. Dysphoria is not.

Meh. What? I just smoke less.

:shrug:

No paranoia or dysphoria. Just a thing that's far safer and better than booze, which I am also partial to. Well, ok, but paranoia only if I smoke far too much, and then it's more a general anxiety not paranoia. I mean, it's legal here so.....what's there to be paranoid about?

No paranoia or dysphoria. Just a thing that's far safer and better than booze, which I am also partial to. Well, ok, but paranoia only if I smoke far too much, and then it's more a general anxiety not paranoia. I mean, it's legal here so.....what's there to be paranoid about?

Ninjas on the lawn?

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthc...ted-with-decreased-use-of-alcohol-tobacco-and

A significant amount of data has been generated in recent years showing that cannabis access is associated with reduced levels of opioid use and abuse. But emerging data also indicates that many patients similarly substitute marijuana for a variety of other substances, including alcohol, tobacco and benzodiazepines.

Last month, a team of researchers from Canada and the United States surveyed over 2,000 federally registered medical cannabis patients with regard to their use of cannabis and other substances. (Medical cannabis access has been legal across Canada for nearly two decades).
=====================================================
As a past daily MJ abuser, I have mixed emotions about its legalization. In the hands (& lungs) of teenagers it is bad news because their brains & minds are still developing. But the MJ available today is so much more potent than the ditch weed I smoked back in the 70s & 80s that it's scary. Just before I quit cold turkey & flushed my stash, it was making me paranoid. Euphoria is fun. Dysphoria is not.

Not all users are abusers, no matter the drug.

The American system of core beliefs:

1. Next year's model will be better
2. There's one born every minute
3. I'm not one of them
4. If one is good, two will be better

MJ is too easy to abuse. It's either a cold can of Bud or a doobie after work. Which would most choose?

I knew I was overdoing it when a colleague in the men's room asked me why my eyes were so red. Allergies, of course.

I certainly started drinking less alcohol and smoking fewer cigars once I started using weed. Though I wasn't overdoing those things anyway. If you are prone to physical addiction then substituting those for weed might be a net positive health wise. But if you are prone to psychological addictions then you will probably just become addicted to weed. Whether or not that is better or worse than being psychologically addicted to alcohol or tobacco just depends on how your habit manifests itself. Chain smoking cigarettes will kill you a hell of a lot fast than chain smoking joints, but the latter will have more of a negative impact on how successful you may be.

I hear about paranoia all the time as a side effect of weed, and I know that is true, but I have never felt that in the least from weed, even when vaping weed concentrate that has a THC% over 90%. Maybe that is because I used shrooms for a couple years before every trying weed and psychedelics are the king of causing paranoia.

MJ is too easy to abuse. It's either a cold can of Bud or a doobie after work. Which would most choose?

Most choose beer, at least where cannabis is illegal.

I knew I was overdoing it when a colleague in the men's room asked me why my eyes were so red. Allergies, of course.

Abuse is a personal problem Jack. If you don't realize that, you have another personal problem.

Paranoia & anxiety are very closely related emotions.

Abuse is a personal problem Jack. If you don't realize that, you have another personal problem.

I have an addictive personality.

Yes it is: threat focused anxiety?

I suppose that's an accurate enough description. I don't get that from too much weed. Instead, it's only a sort of temporary (as in 20 minutes temporary) feeling that it's a bit too much at the moment. An uneasiness that quickly fades. Nothing to write home about.

Sometimes, I've been a little too aggressive when making edibles, but then all I have to do is go lie down for an hour or so and have the wildest daydreams. Or listen to, say, Yo Yo Ma's first recorded pass through the Bach solo cello suites (divinity in sound).

But I generally don't do that. A few puffs over an evening, as I read.

It was different when it was illegal, because if you were outside or whatever they really would come for you if they knew. But I'm in MA and I keep it indoors, and if I bring a vape pen on a hike or walk....well the worst that can happen is a $100 ticket.

I have an addictive personality.

As you know, half the battle or more is acknowledging that fact. I commend you.

I am most fortunate in that I don't have an addictive personality. The older I get the more I can appreciate the difference between habitual use of any given drug, and addiction to any given substance.

I abuse marijuana every chance I get. As a matter of fact, I try to overdose on it. After forty something years of smoking cannabis, I'm still trying. Let's face it, most of the stuff written about cannabis is by people who never used it and most already have a negative slant towards the plant before they start their 'research'. I'm in my mid sixties and planning on staying there for several more years. I would happily put my general health up against anyone my own age and I would be willing to bet it's better than 70% of my age group.

The only reason cannabis is still illegal is because other industries like pharma, oil, and textiles want it to stay that way. A schedule one drug, ANYONE who has ever smoked weed knows it should not be on that list. Pot is more dangerous than cocaine? Really? I'm happy to see after so many years people are discarding the bs and starting to demand to be treated like adults who can choose if they want to smoke or not. I can kill somebody driving drunk and be punished more severely if I'm busted with a joint. That makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom