• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

March jobs report: UE Rate 4.4%, employment -701,000

pinqy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
First all the caveats:
The survey period for the Current Population survey (unemployment level, rate, and other labor force data) was March 8-14 and so does not reflect later job losses.

The survey period for the Current Employment Situation (nonfarm payroll jobs gained or lost) was the pay period that contained March 8-14. So anyone on nonfarm payroll during that week was classified as employed.

Response rates for both surveys were way down.

Many people who should have been classified as “Unemployed, temporary layoff” were classified as “employed: not at work,” because the respondent did not understand the choices or the interviewer did not explain well

Full report: Employment Situation Summary

Highlights: unemployment level increased by 1,353,000 and the rate went from 3.5 to 4.4.
Part time for economic reasons increased by 1,447,000 almost entirely due to cut hours

Non farm payroll employment went down 701,000

The April numbers will be much worse.

First all the caveats:
The survey period for the Current Population survey (unemployment level, rate, and other labor force data) was March 8-14 and so does not reflect later job losses.

The survey period for the Current Employment Situation (nonfarm payroll jobs gained or lost) was the pay period that contained March 8-14. So anyone on nonfarm payroll during that week was classified as employed.

Response rates for both surveys were way down.

Many people who should have been classified as “Unemployed, temporary layoff” were classified as “employed: not at work,” because the respondent did not understand the choices or the interviewer did not explain well

Full report: Employment Situation Summary

Highlights: unemployment level increased by 1,353,000 and the rate went from 3.5 to 4.4.
Part time for economic reasons increased by 1,447,000 almost entirely due to cut hours

Non farm payroll employment went down 701,000

The April numbers will be much worse.

yeah this is what happens when state governors order people to stay indoors not go out and close non-essential businesses down.
:doh

the stupidity of these threads amaze me.

yeah this is what happens when state governors order people to stay indoors not go out and close non-essential businesses down.

What are you claiming is stupid about my thread? Every single thing was factual, with no opinion.

I really have to wonder about anyone claiming that facts are stupid.

What are you claiming is stupid about my thread? Every single thing was factual, with no opinion.

Facts are stupid if those facts are perceived to somehow be a detriment to Trump, at least according to his most rabid of followers.

what do you expect when governors are shutting down businesses?
I never said that the numbers were stupid but if you would only look we have about 100 other threads on this same exact thing.

So it is another pointless thread about something that
1. we already know
2. we know that it is going to get worse before it gets better.
3. that there is little that can be done about it right now.

Facts are stupid if those facts are perceived to somehow be a detriment to Trump, at least according to his most rabid of followers.

there is nothing here detriment to trump but ol look another pointless statement by someone that can't handle actual facts.

I never said that the numbers were stupid but if you would only look we have about 100 other threads on this same exact thing.

1. we already know
Since the release was at 8:30 this morning, there were zero other threads about the March release.

So no, it was not something everyone knew

Just 4.4%?

We're not even in a recession, yet.

That's amazing.

Since the release was at 8:30 this morning, there were zero other threads about the March release.

So no, it was not something everyone knew

You obviously haven't been paying attention for the past 3 days with about 50 of the same thread.

there is nothing here detriment to trump but ol look another pointless statement by someone that can't handle actual facts.

What facts are you claiming I can’t handle? I posted a thread about today’s release of the Employment situation report. I’m not sure why that bothers you, but we’ve been discussing the Employment Situation pretty much every month.

You obviously haven't been paying attention for the past 3 days with about 50 of the same thread.

How could there be any threads in the past three days about a report that only came out TODAY????
Yes, everyone knew it would be bad, but the actual numbers only came out today.

^ This is the kind of post you get when you don't value life.

this is the kind of posts you get when the person can't make an actual logical argument and instead has to
throw ad hominem appeal to emotion fallacies.

it is expected from most leftist that reject fact, reason and logic in any discussion.

How could there be any threads in the past three days about a report that only came out TODAY????
Yes, everyone knew it would be bad, but the actual numbers only came out today.

not going to continue this back and forth.

the numbers were going to be the numbers because government has shut down businesses.
again what do you expect was going to happen?

businesses cannot pay people if they have no money coming in.

1. we already know

Not disagreeing. But, one of the provisions if the Emergency Bill is to provide money to small businesses to keep their employees by providing the money to pay their salaries, cover overhead including rent. That should reduce the number of new claims.
I would also add that, while they are currently in overload mode, the government is extending be ifuts and increasing the amount received, which will help those unfortunate enough to lose their job.
Not to mention the payment most Americans will see arrive in their Bank account in the next couple of weeks.
So there are things we are doing most have not even cranked up fully yet but assistance is on the way,
I credit both houses of Congress and the President for doing what they can to ensure as many as possible will survive the economic impact and ensure that as many small businesses survive to reopen after this all passes.

Yeah them governors should have made everyone go into the public and hang around each other..Stupid thread posters.

the numbers were going to be the numbers because government has shut down businesses.
again what do you expect was going to happen?
Exactly what did happen, though of course I didn’t know what the exact numbers would be.

I don’t understand why you keep pointing out why the numbers are bad. We all know why. I didn’t start the thread as if it was a surprise that there were a lot of jobs lost or that the UE rate would go up. I started the thread because the official report on the employment situation just came out and so is new, quantitative information.

businesses cannot pay people if they have no money coming in.
Ok, and? I don’t know what your point is in stating things that aren’t in contention.
My best guess is that you ASSumed some motive on my part that is not based on reality.

Not disagreeing. But, one of the provisions if the Emergency Bill is to provide money to small businesses to keep their employees by providing the money to pay their salaries, cover overhead including rent. That should reduce the number of new claims.

Yes it should but the money just started flowing yesterday. The SBA and treasury just opened up the money for people to apply.
So the money hasn't reached people yet.

I would also add that, while they are currently in overload mode, the government is extending be ifuts and increasing the amount received, which will help those unfortunate enough to lose their job.
Not to mention the payment most Americans will see arrive in their Bank account in the next couple of weeks.
So there are things we are doing most have not even cranked up fully yet but assistance is on the way,
I credit both houses of Congress and the President for doing what they can to ensure as many as possible will survive the economic impact and ensure that as many small businesses survive to reopen after this all passes.

yes most of the help is not there yet but is coming. the SBA and treasury just opened up the small business loan program yesterday.
I agree it should have been passed sooner but it is what it is. The bill passed and it should be getting money soon.

Thanks for one of the most reasoned and logical posts i have seen yet.
it is a breathe of fresh air around here.

Yeah them governors should have made everyone go into the public and hang around each other..Stupid thread posters.

your projection fallacies are a reflection of you and no one else.

ludin and the rest of the trump posters would be blaming Obama if this happened under his watch. In fact, they’ll be blaming Obama before the day’s out.

You started the back and forth because you assumed pinqy was doing anything other than simply discussing then numbers, something he has done regularly for years. Your knee-jerk partisanship assumed partisanship of pinqy, and, likely caused by your desperate need to defend Trump/attack "the left", caused you to rant about something that had nothing to do with what pinqy posted.

I have read more pinqy posts than I can count in job threads and I still do not know what politics he personally supports. I BELIEVE he once said something about being a Republican, but I could be completely wrong about that. While we both know honestly admitting your wrongs is not something you have ever shown any desire to do, you are completely in the wrong on this one.

Pinqy discussed the job numbers, as he has many times before in many threads. You let your partisanship get the better of you and cause you to post really stupid things.
ludin and the rest of the trump posters would be blaming Obama if this happened under his watch. In fact, they’ll be blaming Obama before the day’s out.
Most Trump supporters are blatantly dishonest and have zero qualms about being hypocritical if it serves their political purposes. They don't care about truth, they don't care about Americans, they just care about "winning".

Yes it should but the money just started flowing yesterday. The SBA and treasury just opened up the money for people to apply.
So the money hasn't reached people yet.

yes most of the help is not there yet but is coming. the SBA and treasury just opened up the small business loan program yesterday.
I agree it should have been passed sooner but it is what it is. The bill passed and it should be getting money soon.

Thanks for one of the most reasoned and logical posts i have seen yet.
it is a breathe of fresh air around here.

Agree, the help is coming but takes time to kick in.

Thanks. I think it is time we all tone back the bickering just a bit and act a bit more civil, we all in the same boat now or will be soon. So if someone says something that triggers your WTF factor it is best to just ignore it or at least come back to it later, there enough stress to go around without adding more.
Be Safe

Agree, the help is coming but takes time to kick in.

Thanks. I think it is time we all tone back the bickering just a bit and act a bit more civil, we all in the same boat now or will be soon. So if someone says something that triggers your WTF factor it is best to just ignore it or at least come back to it later, there enough stress to go around without adding more.
Be Safe

we are. at this point there are very few people on this forum worth addressing.
it is sad as this use to be a good forum to have discussions on. someone let the lunatics off the ranch and didn't bother to round them up.

no doubt

Back
Top Bottom