• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mar-a-Lago documents inadvertently published online — and undercut Trump’s privilege claims

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=c67b1b0f716f4b3d902291d7484c09c9

The Justice Department's detailed lists of seized materials from former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence were inadvertently published online on Tuesday.

A judge ordered that the logs stay under seal, but they appeared to be inadvertently posted to the public court docket, according to Bloomberg, which first reported on the documents. The filing, which is no longer publicly visible, included a combination of government, business and personal documents. Some of these records included analysis of who should get a pardon, retainer agreements for lawyers and accountants as well as legal bills.

A "Privilege Review Team" followed specific "search procedures and filter protocols while executing the warrant" to search Mar-a-Lago and divided potentially privileged material into two categories, according to the filing. The filter team found 520 pages that needed a closer look but later determined few of those documents fell under any legal privileges.
So that's the deal. This leak doesn't appear to be a complete list of what the FBI found but it does give a good insight as to what the DoJ is going after and why the raid was necessary.

From a link in the article, this appears to be the document that includes the list - https://s3.documentcloud.org/docume...us-of-filter-review-with-exhibits-a-and-b.pdf

The notice is only 15 pages and the two lists begin on page 11 of the PDF. The lists should give the average reader a good idea of what "presidential records" Trump was hiding from the American people.

That is a bizarre list. Some catch my interest kinda, most do not. Really vague descriptions. What the **** is up with "Confidential settlement agreement between PGA & Trump Golf signed by Donald J. Trump"? Is that something that happened I just never heard about?

That is a bizarre list. Some catch my interest kinda, most do not. Really vague descriptions. What the **** is up with "Confidential settlement agreement between PGA & Trump Golf signed by Donald J. Trump"? Is that something that happened I just never heard about?
I think it has to do with this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=c67b1b0f716f4b3d902291d7484c09c9

So that's the deal. This leak doesn't appear to be a complete list of what the FBI found but it does give a good insight as to what the DoJ is going after and why the raid was necessary.

From a link in the article, this appears to be the document that includes the list - https://s3.documentcloud.org/docume...us-of-filter-review-with-exhibits-a-and-b.pdf

The notice is only 15 pages and the two lists begin on page 11 of the PDF. The lists should give the average reader a good idea of what "presidential records" Trump was hiding from the American people.

You made a fundamental mistake:

A news outlet called "Salon"?

Oh, yeah I put a lot of store in a far out on line service boasting a Proud Boy & his martyred fight with the gov'ment.

Oh, yeah I put a lot of store in a far out on line service boasting a Proud Boy & his martyred fight with the gov'ment.
Salon? They tend to be WAY left wing.

Do you think the PDF is fake?

The lists should give the average reader a good idea of what "presidential records" Trump was hiding from the American people.

Why should they do that? I've seen any number of things "filed under seal" or "impounded" get put up anyway.

Why should we ignore baseless charges of intent or lack thereof, for that matter? If anything, some clerk ****ed up. I get that having reviewed the list and concluded it doesn't look that damning, it is in your interest to say it must be representative. But there really is no reason to do that. If it's a ****-up, it's at random. If it's intentionally, well then one has to put on your conspiracy hat and wonder whether they were picked for leaking specifically because they might support a claim that the docs are no biggie.

The bottom line is that if either of us did what he did, our asses would still be in a blackout zone. There'd be missing person posters up.

The other bottom line is what the **** was all this doing intermixed with his own shit, if it really was? How does attorney-client shit end up mixed in boxes with top secret docs? And if the answer is "accident", how the screaming hell are you doing calling Biden senile?

________
(You will notice I'm ignoring the whole broad conspiracy to victimize angle).

Does it matter? As far as the DoJ is concerned it's a Presidential Record and, as such, a threat to national security that it's not in the control of NARA.

If I’m understanding correctly these are only the documents that the DOJ thought needed further scrutiny to see if they fell under presidential privilege? None of the other documents are listed?

Seems like these would be a category of the least damning documents recovered.

Admittedly I’m not clear if I am following what exactly is going on with this list I read the excerpt you posted twice but not the whole article.

Pretty sure salon.com is left leaning FWIW

Does it matter? As far as the DoJ is concerned it's a Presidential Record and, as such, a threat to national security that it's not in the control of NARA.
Something like that will probably be returned to Trump once the legal proceedings are over. That’s quite likely a personal business document.

At least I see it very unlikely that golf stuff would need him to act in his former role as POTUS

It's pretty left. I'll take court docs from MSNBC or Fox News, whoever posts them first.

"Threat to security" is not accurate. Presidential records are required to be kept by the National Archive for reasons of transparency in government. That is kinda an important concept. That is also the reason we have the Freedom of Information act, which the Archive cannot respond to requests based on if they do not have the records.

Why should they do that? I've seen any number of things "filed under seal" or "impounded" get put up anyway.

Why should we ignore baseless charges of intent or lack thereof, for that matter? If anything, some clerk ****ed up. I get that having reviewed the list and concluded it doesn't look that damning, it is in your interest to say it must be representative. But there really is no reason to do that. If it's a ****-up, it's at random. If it's intentionally, well then one has to put on your conspiracy hat and wonder whether they were picked for leaking specifically because they might support a claim that the docs are no biggie.

The bottom line is that if either of us did what he did, our asses would still be in a blackout zone. There'd be missing person posters up.

The other bottom line is what the **** was all this doing intermixed with his own shit, if it really was? How does attorney-client shit end up mixed in boxes with top secret docs? And if the answer is "accident", how the screaming hell are you doing calling Biden senile?

________
(You will notice I'm ignoring the whole broad conspiracy to victimize angle).
We have now been a couple of months into "They are Presidential Records and Trump can't have them!" territory with the very clear implication being that Trump stole, and the FBI recovered, sensitive documents related to presidential functions. These two lists, though certainly not an exhaustive compilation of what was found, are indicative of the kind of thing the FBI seized and the kind of thing NARA is throwing a hissy fit over. I certainly agree that nothing on those lists looks damning and it would do wonders for the prevailing narratives around here if more people recognized that and were at least willing to temper their expectations of "We got that treasonous mother****er now!" a little bit. I mean, if nothing else, whether a court deems these to be "presidential records" or not it can damned well be seen how Trump or anyone else could think of them as "personal".

We have now been a couple of months into "They are Presidential Records and Trump can't have them!" territory with the very clear implication being that Trump stole, and the FBI recovered, sensitive documents related to presidential functions. These two lists, though certainly not an exhaustive compilation of what was found, are indicative of the kind of thing the FBI seized and the kind of thing NARA is throwing a hissy fit over. I certainly agree that nothing on those lists looks damning and it would do wonders for the prevailing narratives around here if more people recognized that and were at least willing to temper their expectations of "We got that treasonous mother****er now!" a little bit. I mean, if nothing else, whether a court deems these to be "presidential records" or not it can damned well be seen how Trump or anyone else could think of them as "personal".
The fact that they are being looked at closely by the filter team undercuts your argument.

NARA is not "throwing a hissy fit", they are trying to obtain the records that they are required by law to have. Note: I have never claimed Trump was "treasonous", nor used any of that kind of hyperbole(and in fact, criticized those who do use such hyperbole). I still think getting those records is important, and that the filter team and special master will make a determination of what records Trump should have, and what records NARA should have. The actual content of the records is not important to me. The important part is that NARA has the presidential records, because I value an open government as much as is practical and possible.

Salon swings heavily for the left on story selection and OP/ED but reporting is usually factual.

Back
Top Bottom