• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Many Texas Schools Teach Creationism

distraff

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
According to the Reading and Writing and Religion II a report by the Texas Freedom Network, many Texas children are being taught creationism including the myth that the earth is only 6,000 years old. So what do you think of this development? What should we do about it? Should creationism be taught in schools?

Texas Public Schools: Still Teaching Creationism | Mother Jones

According to the Reading and Writing and Religion II a report by the Texas Freedom Network, many Texas children are being taught creationism including the myth that the earth is only 6,000 years old. So what do you think of this development? What should we do about it? Should creationism be taught in schools?

Nothing that ever happens in Texas will ever surprise me.

There are a lot of fine people in Texas.

There are also quite a few that are so ignorant they couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the sole.

Guess which group is running the place.

Last edited:

There are also quite a few that are so ignorant they couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the sole.

This...

Sounds as if other theories are being taught as well ie evolution, etc. What's the issue? ALL points of view are being taught instead of SOME points of view. Seeing as how our country is predominantly Christian, especially in Texas, Christian "theory" is relevant to the audience.

Sounds as if other theories are being taught as well ie evolution, etc. What's the issue? ALL points of view are being taught instead of SOME points of view. Seeing as how our country is predominantly Christian, especially in Texas, Christian "theory" is relevant to the audience.

Evolution is a scientific theory based on easily discernable facts, and it does not challenge anyones essential religious belief system.

Creationism is not a "scientific theory" like evolution. It is a construct developed by members of a faith in order to get their religious beliefs taught in secular schools. It is a religious subterfuge pushed as "science" to bypass the "separation of church and state;" thus creating a means of indoctrinating children into the Christian faith.

Having said that, if people in Texas want to do it I suppose it is a free country. I only hope they allow non-christian students the option of non-participation on the grounds it is contrary to their religious belief.

Last edited:
They're called an 'Independent School District" ISD.

I have a feeling this is where things are different between them and any other 'public school district.'

I had to look it up:
Independent school district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I highlighted in red the two key aspects that make it entirely legal for them to do so.

An independent school district (ISD) is a type of school district in some U.S. states for primary and secondary education, which operates as an entity that is independent and separate from any municipality, county, or state. As such the administrative leadership of such districts is selected from within the district itself and has no direct responsibility to any other governmental authority. This independence normally also implies that the district has its own taxing authority that is outside of the direct control of other governmental entities.

The state of Texas has by far the largest number of independent school districts with almost all of its districts falling into this category (Stafford Municipal School District being the notable exception).[1] The term independent may be used to describe other types of school districts though this is less common.

The use of the term independent can vary in actual application in those states that even use the term. In Kentucky, for example, all school districts there are independent of the state, county, and municipal governments. However a district is normally only referred to as independent if its jurisdiction does not cover an entire county, instead covering a city or cluster of cities.

So what if you teach somebody the earth has devolved to this degree of stupidity in 6000 years? How does this matter other than if you embrace the belief whole-heartedly you probably won't have a career in anthropology or archeology.

Not that I think this is a great idea but I really don't see the harm in it. It's TX and TX people are, well, different.

Evolution is a scientific theory based on easily discernable facts, and it does not challenge anyones essential religious belief system.

Creationism is not a "scientific theory" like evolution. It is a construct developed by members of a faith in order to get their religious beliefs taught in secular schools. It is a religious subterfuge pushed as "science" to bypass the "separation of church and state;" thus creating a means of indoctrinating children into the Christian faith.
Actually, yes, it does challenge MANY people's religious belief system. Any Christian that believes the Bible verbatim will tell you that they don't believe in evolution nor in the commonly accepted age of the Earth that is taught in public schools. However, the children of these people are forced to learn something that is against their faith.
Also, creationism has a very credible and historically accurate source to back it up. I am aware some people do not believe the Bible, however, the majority of the country apparently does because the majority of the country claims to be Christian.
Having said that, if people in Texas want to do it I suppose it is a free country. I only hope they allow non-christian students the option of non-participation on the grounds it is contrary to their religious belief.
We agree on this.

Religious conservatives and Bible thumpers in general really need to stop deluding themselves into believing that there is any kind of intellectual parity between well developed scientific theories buttressed by decades of research along with rigorous exploration of vast quantities of evidence, and the fantastical imaginings of people who were writing dogma-influenced stories during a time period in which people thought disease was a manifestation of evil spirits.

There is no such parity. Creationism has no place in schools except alongside the creation myths of thousands of other primitives. Taking it seriously is laughably stupid and basically delusional.

Because it's not science, and it's a public school. The first problem is that it confuses students, and veritably creates a generation of scientifically illiterate children that become tomorrows hamburger flippers. To knowingly mis-teach students in a way that will absolutely limit their career path and opportunities is De Facto child abuse. It's no different than those inner-city teachers that let unruly students disrupt class; it's not what a responsible adult is expected to do.

The second problem is the church-state separation; my tax money, nor anyone's tax money should ever go to support any religious view, no matter how non-denominational it is, in the course of a publicly funded and government endorsed function. It's only a bigger slap in the face when it's a school, because it's no longer optional; not only am I forced to pay for it, the children are forced to hear it.

Last edited:
This is the business of Texas and Texans, therefore not my concern.

As a native Texan of *$% decades...I have to agree with your post. It's sad, but a reality.

I've seen some interesting remarks by other Texans regarding several topics in which they say to other Texans, "If you don't like the way it is in Texas then get the **** out!"

I'm not getting out. I'll continue to throw in whatever time, effort, and money that I can to see Texas change in a way that it a better state for all people, not the people who run the Legislation and special interest cronies. Our education system has gone straight to hell. Healthcare is getting worse by the year and especially for women. Zealot pro-life has become a danger to women's reproductive health. And the list goes on.

Texas use to be, in my opinion, a "grand, proud, and loved state". I can't say that anymore because it has collected too many radicals without a worthy cause.

Thanks...

So what if you teach somebody the earth has devolved to this degree of stupidity in 6000 years? How does this matter other than if you embrace the belief whole-heartedly you probably won't have a career in anthropology or archeology.

Not that I think this is a great idea but I really don't see the harm in it. It's TX and TX people are, well, different.

Actually - this is more like how school use to be for everyone. So not teaching religious beliefs in school is the modern concept - rather than a 'devolution' as you put it.

Because it's not science, and it's a public school. The first problem is that it confuses students, and veritably creates a generation of scientifically illiterate children that become tomorrows hamburger flippers. To knowingly mis-teach students in a way that will absolutely limit there career path and opportunities is De Facto child abuse. It's no different than those inner-city teachers that let unruly students disrupt class; it's not what a responsible adult is expected to do.
Yes, its a public school. Yet Christians must send their children to them and allow them to be taught things that are against their beliefs. It doesn't matter what YOU think of my beliefs. You can think it's stupid. You can think it's regressive. You can think whatever you want. That doesn't give you the right to trivialize the belief, which is what you seek to do. Why do your secular rights outweigh my Christian rights? Because you think my belief system is "scientifically illiterate" and makes "hamburger flippers"? It doesn't matter what you think of my beliefs because they are mine. Again, I totally agree with this class as long as its an optional course. It should not be forced upon children unlike the secular science theories. I would not have an issue with a school teaching the Muslim version of creationism in a Muslim community. Its relevant to the audience.
The second problem is the church-state separation; my tax money, nor anyone's tax money should ever go to support any religious view, no matter how non-denominational it is, in the course of a publicly funded and government endorsed function. It's only a bigger slap in the face when it's a school, because it's no longer optional; not only am I forced to pay for it, the children are forced to hear it.
Ahh, the "church state" separation that is nowhere in the Constitution.
I would reverse your argument. Its a slap in the face to me that my child is taught evolution and sex education by school teachers. And I have to pay for it. Or is this one of those cases where your scientific theories outweigh my faith?

Actually - this is more like how school use to be for everyone. So not teaching religious beliefs in school is the modern concept - rather than a 'devolution' as you put it.

Ah, sorry. Came out differently than intended. I was just taking a poke at the human race in general and my facetiousness backfired.

I wish I could remember my early school days (would be 1948+) but I just don't remember about that topic.

Yes, its a public school. Yet Christians must send their children to them and allow them to be taught things that are against their beliefs. It doesn't matter what YOU think of my beliefs. You can think it's stupid. You can think it's regressive. You can think whatever you want. That doesn't give you the right to trivialize the belief, which is what you seek to do. Why do your secular rights outweigh my Christian rights? Because you think my belief system is "scientifically illiterate" and makes "hamburger flippers"? It doesn't matter what you think of my beliefs because they are mine. Again, I totally agree with this class as long as its an optional course. It should not be forced upon children unlike the secular science theories. I would not have an issue with a school teaching the Muslim version of creationism in a Muslim community. Its relevant to the audience.

There are Muslim communities in the US, should they have school in a Mosque? Or places with higher Japanese speaking populations than English, which happens in many "immigrant" towns in NY; should they just teach in Japanese? It's obvious that we need a standard education throughout the entire country, so we don't have a New York education or a Texas education or a California education, only an American education. To specifically say that we should teach some Americans different than others is the very same argument that was used for Segregation. It's never separate but equal, it doesn't exist.

Secular rights outweigh Christian rights in the same way that they outweigh all rights based on belief over evidence. To do otherwise would allow for witch trials, sharia laws, using ghosts as criminal witnesses, etc. Laws should be based on evidence of their ability to serve the community, versus their ability help a politician to pander to the religious right. Your belief system has nothing to do with whether or not you're scientifically illiterate, and I never said it did, but teaching creation as if it were science promotes illiteracy. (Which is exactly what I said before) Just as I don't tell you to teach evolution in churches, I don't expect you to teach creation in the classroom; there is no favoritism here.

I would reverse your argument. Its a slap in the face to me that my child is taught evolution and sex education by school teachers. And I have to pay for it. Or is this one of those cases where your scientific theories outweigh my faith?
I never said it was in the Constitution, although the SCOTUS has ruled it to be a valid Constitutional premise for laws. Neither evolution nor Sex education are religious tenants, they are scientific theories and they do outweigh faith; it is not a matter of my religion or your religion, it's a matter of learning in school versus using tax payer money to endorse your religion; science outweighs religion in the eyes of the law. In a court case, they don't take psychics, or mediums, or witch doctors, or biblical tenants as evidence over the scientifically based evidence that is acceptable in court. We're going to take your fingerprints and a blood sample, not a quote from your holy book. But, both evolution and sex ed typically require a parents permission slip; it is optional, nobodies forcing your kids to learn anything.

Last edited:

Creationism isn't a theory. It's not a study in practice. It is a belief system. Religion should be taught in theology classes and science should be taught in science classes. The people putting them at loggerheads are ignorant asses who are teaching stupidity as a way of life.

Science is reasearch.
Religion is not.

Both are fine. Neither are or should be in contest with one another.

Yes, its a public school. Yet Christians must send their children to them and allow them to be taught things that are against their beliefs.

Actually, Christians always have the option to send their children to private schools, where they don't have to be taught things that are against their beliefs and where tax dollars aren't funding religious teachings.

I totally agree with this class as long as its an optional course. It should not be forced upon children unlike the secular science theories. I would not have an issue with a school teaching the Muslim version of creationism in a Muslim community. Its relevant to the audience.

I completely disagree with this class, optional or otherwise.

If people want their children to have a religious education, they have the option to attend a private schools. In public schools, religion should be relegated to the history/ social studies section of education.

Yea, I guess it's hidden all the way in the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

-First Amendment, U.S. Constitution

Or even in the Texas Constitution:

"No money shall be appropriated, or drawn from the Treasury for the benefit of any sect, or religious society, theological or religious seminary; nor shall property belonging to the State be appropriated for any such purposes."

-Article 1, Section 7, Texas Constitution

Evolution and sex education are real tangible subjects. These are things that children will need to know and understand as they become adults.

Religion is a choice, which people can further invest their children with through privately funded education.

I'm not sure there's much of a "development."

Mother Jones begins with "In Texas schools, children learn...." The reader who's only skimming might not notice that that only a handful of schools are mentioned.

I didn't know what the Texas Freedom Network is but was curious enough, given that the source is Mother Jones, to Google it and one of the schools. According to Wiki.Org:

The Texas Freedom Network (TFN) is a Texas organization formed to protect religious freedom, defend civil liberties, and strengthen public schools in the State of Texas. Their activism takes the form of grassroots organizing to counter the activities of the Christian Right in the state, providing an alternative media perspective on issues, training people to identify and oppose the Christian Right's activities, promote tolerance of other people's religious freedom, and providing policy alternatives.[SUP][1][/SUP] It was formed in 1996 by Cecile Richards.[SUP][2][/SUP] As of the late 1990s, it had fewer than three thousand contributors and only three full-time staff, but had been relatively successful in its media efforts and has been credited for making it more difficult for the Christian Right to get its message out uncontested.[SUP][1][/SUP] By 2004 it had 19,000 members.[SUP][3][/SUP]
Texas Freedom Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who is Cecile Richards? Cecile Richards (born 1958)[SUP][1][/SUP] is an American activist and has been the president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America since 2006. She is a member of the Democratic Party.
Cecile Richards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The population of Texas is just over 26 million. Prosper, Texas, according to Wiki, has an estimated population of close to 15,000.
Prosper, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the Prosper ISD seems to be doing okay:

Prosper ISD is excited to be a member of the Texas High Performance Schools Consortium (the Consortium). After an application process, the Texas Commissioner of Education announced in October 2012 that our district would join 22 other districts from across the state of Texas to develop high priority learning standards, meaningful assessments and a community-based accountability system that is not over-reliant on high stakes testing.

The Consortium is charged with making a number of recommendations to the governor, legislature and commissioner of education that will be designed to make schools stronger so that our students are prepared to succeed in post-secondary education settings and the workforce.
Prosper ISD - Texas High Performance Schools Consortium

Actually, yes, it does challenge MANY people's religious belief system. Any Christian that believes the Bible verbatim will tell you that they don't believe in evolution nor in the commonly accepted age of the Earth that is taught in public schools. However, the children of these people are forced to learn something that is against their faith.
Also, creationism has a very credible and historically accurate source to back it up. I am aware some people do not believe the Bible, however, the majority of the country apparently does because the majority of the country claims to be Christian.

We agree on this.

Scientific evidence disproves the notion that the earth is 6000 years old. It instead true. Period. You can reconcile that with your book however you like, but don't force children to learn things that are provably false.

if algebra is "against your faith," I don't care.
Your kid is still gonna learn it.

Yes. It does.

Every other faith can make the same claim. So, which one is truly "factual?" Are you honestly arguing that Buddhism, Shinto, Hinduism, the Tao, Confucianism, etc. should ALL be taught as SCIENCE in schools? That all it requires is for the local majority having the same faith to decide what's "science" in the local school? Would you appreciate YOUR child being taught evolution and Buddhism but not "Creationism" in a school they attended?

I happen to be Christian, and I think evolution could easily fit into a Designers plan. It has a certain orderly symmetry to it. I also think Creationism is "crackpot science," with no more value as a scientific "theory" than Norse mythology. Religion's place is in Church and church schools. That's where my faith come into play. In school, it is the rational mind that is being developed. Schools are no place for a particular religion to obtain religious converts, because people of many different faiths share both use for their children and the tax burden that goes with paying for it.

Last edited:

I am an atheist but if creationism is taught in bible class, religious studies or history classes as a source of inspiration or something like that I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever.

But not in exact sciences like biology, physics, geometry or chemistry. That should be left for things that are not based on faith/believing in something. Exact science lessons should be based in a high level of hard scientific facts.

But outside of those topics, teach it if you want it. I would not have a problem if it were taught on public schools (paid by the government) as long as other faiths will also get a reasonable amount of time during the religious studies class.

Back
Top Bottom