• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Many Texas Schools Teach Creationism

"So, in your eyes, the Catholic church should be forced to pay for birth control for it's employees? Religious rights do trump secular rights in cases such as the one we're speaking of. The cases you brought up (sharia, witch hunts) are harmful to a person physically and emotionally therefore the greater good should trump them. There is a line to draw when speaking of religious rights vs the rights of all. Physical and emotional harm is that line. Not the belief by some that science outweighs religious belief."

In my eyes the Catholic Church has no standing when it come to anything, speaking of dogma!! These is a group of religious nuts that allowed high ranking officials to cover up child abuse? They have caused enough physical harm. They should be taxed and heavily.

good grief, is there anything a liberal won't argue to tax and tax heavily?... there might be, but i've never seen anything they don't want to tax.

anyways, stop dreaming... they won't be taxed and you'll continue to be disappointing you can't have the money donated to them

It's just not relevant to reality. Creationism is nonsense. Christianity is nonsense. It doesn't matter how many people believe it, that doesn't make it true.

Texans are just idiots.

meh, they could be much worse, they could be Californians.

According to the Reading and Writing and Religion II a report by the Texas Freedom Network, many Texas children are being taught creationism including the myth that the earth is only 6,000 years old. So what do you think of this development? What should we do about it? Should creationism be taught in schools?

Texas Public Schools: Still Teaching Creationism | Mother Jones

It would be best for them to teach a religion class vice "Bible" class and the information taught should be as informational vice matter-of-fact as possible. All one has to do is read the creation narratives of other religions to learn that the Hebrew bible is more of the same. That doesn't make it irrelevant, it just puts it into prospective. So I guess, I support teaching about the Bible in school, but only if it is taught as part of a larger religion study curriculum and with the disclaimer that science disputes the narratives, although one can still find room for religious license in science.

meh, they could be much worse, they could be Californians.

But you're not seeing this happen in California, you're seeing it happen all the time in Texas.

This creationism is being taught in "Bible classes", not in science classes.

The concerning allegation, imho, is not that these "Bible classes" are teaching creationism, but that they are said to be promoting Christianity instead of just teaching about the very large and real impact of the Bible on our culture.

Yea, I guess it's hidden all the way in the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

-First Amendment, U.S. Constitution

Or even in the Texas Constitution:

"No money shall be appropriated, or drawn from the Treasury for the benefit of any sect, or religious society, theological or religious seminary; nor shall property belonging to the State be appropriated for any such purposes."

-Article 1, Section 7, Texas Constitution

Very nice... You have just proved him right, and yourself wrong.

It's just not relevant to reality. Creationism is nonsense. Christianity is nonsense. It doesn't matter how many people believe it, that doesn't make it true.

Texans are just idiots.
Good counterpoint Cephus, per the usual regarding this subject. "I don't believe in it so therefore it must be stupid because I am intellectually superior." That about sum it up? Your constant snobbish dismissal of others beliefs is the nonsense here.

But you're not seeing this happen in California, you're seeing it happen all the time in Texas.
Yes, and California is the model of how a state should be run.:shock:

Good counterpoint Cephus, per the usual regarding this subject. "I don't believe in it so therefore it must be stupid because I am intellectually superior." That about sum it up? Your constant snobbish dismissal of others beliefs is the nonsense here.

This isn't a "don't believe in it" thing, it's a "it's been soundly disproven" thing. Creationism, I don't care how much you believe it, is false. It's been proven. Anyone continuing to believe in something that has been proven false is an idiot. It's like believing in a flat earth, which granted, some Christians still believe in.

This isn't a "don't believe in it" thing, it's a "it's been soundly disproven" thing. Creationism, I don't care how much you believe it, is false. It's been proven. Anyone continuing to believe in something that has been proven false is an idiot. It's like believing in a flat earth, which granted, some Christians still believe in.
Evolution, I don't care how much you believe in it, is false. Is that how this works? We just tell each other we don't believe in each others beliefs and then call each other idiots? What, is this 4th grade?

Evolution, I don't care how much you believe in it, is false. Is that how this works? We just tell each other we don't believe in each others beliefs and then call each other idiots? What, is this 4th grade?

There is no such thing as belief in evolution and or faith in evolution. It is a measurable quantifiable empirically tested quantity.

There's a little room for religious license in evolution. Outright creationism, outside of an academic sideshow, is not smart.

No, belief has nothing to do with it whatsoever, evidence does and all the evidence shows conclusively that evolution happened and continues to happen. Creationism has ZERO evidence. All it's got is mindless faith.

There's a little room for religious license in evolution. Outright creationism, outside of an academic sideshow, is not smart.

There's no room for it really. There's no room for religious license in science whatsoever because religion is not remotely scientific. It's not only not smart, it's downright absurd.

There's no room for it really. There's no room for religious license in science whatsoever because religion is not remotely scientific. It's not only not smart, it's downright absurd.

A lot of people find room for their religious beliefs to coexist with current scientific knowledge.

There is no such thing as belief in evolution and or faith in evolution. It is a measurable quantifiable empirically tested quantity.
Actually, there is belief in scientific theories. Some scientists believe their work is accurate as opposed to others who believe their work is accurate. Not to mention other people who don't believe in evolution at all. It is a belief. Simply because you believe it doesn't mean everyone else does as well. Kinda funny how I'm the religious guy here and I'm the one having to explain to the supposedly enlightened individuals that there is more than one opinion on this earth besides the one we hold as individuals. Aren't I supposed to be the one who is stubborn and judgmental?

No, belief has nothing to do with it whatsoever, evidence does and all the evidence shows conclusively that evolution happened and continues to happen. Creationism has ZERO evidence. All it's got is mindless faith.
Actually, Creationism has a numerous historical books that back the "theory" of Creationism. Whatever version you want to believe in is up to the individual. Kinda like there are different theories of evolution as well as many different theories of how the world began.

Actually, Creationism has a numerous historical books that back the "theory" of Creationism. Whatever version you want to believe in is up to the individual. Kinda like there are different theories of evolution as well as many different theories of how the world began.

No, actually, they don't. Creationism was barely a hypothesis that has been soundly and completely discredited. It's not about what you want to believe, reality is what it is and anything that disagrees with reality is wrong. Reality is not up for a vote. If you stop believing in gravity, that doesn't mean gravity goes away, nor that your belief in non-gravity is at all valid.

Try again until you get it right.

A lot of people find room for their religious beliefs to coexist with current scientific knowledge.

Which may be true, but it's not what we were talking about. Some people want to put their religious beliefs on the same plane as scientific knowledge and it just doesn't work that way.

Back
Top Bottom