• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Many Texas Schools Teach Creationism

Sounds as if other theories are being taught as well ie evolution, etc. What's the issue? ALL points of view are being taught instead of SOME points of view. Seeing as how our country is predominantly Christian, especially in Texas, Christian "theory" is relevant to the audience.

It's not an audience, it's children being taught religious dogma in publicly-unded schools. That's not right.
(Damn keyboard lost some letters)

Last edited:
Scientific evidence disproves the notion that the earth is 6000 years old. It instead true. Period. You can reconcile that with your book however you like, but don't force children to learn things that are provably false.

if algebra is "against your faith," I don't care.
Your kid is still gonna learn it.
Indiana Pi Bill, anyone? LOL. This whole debate stems from scientific illiteracy of the religious right; if they understood evolution, I highly doubt there'd be as much of a force against it.

I am an atheist but if creationism is taught in bible class, religious studies or history classes as a source of inspiration or something like that I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever.

But not in exact sciences like biology, physics, geometry or chemistry. That should be left for things that are not based on faith/believing in something. Exact science lessons should be based in a high level of hard scientific facts.

But outside of those topics, teach it if you want it. I would not have a problem if it were taught on public schools (paid by the government) as long as other faiths will also get a reasonable amount of time during the religious studies class.
I too, am an Atheist and have no problem with Religious examples being used in class. Our entire issue is with it being used to water down science, not it being used as a school topic. Some theists see this as an attack to "convert" their children to Atheism, but there are more Christian believers of evolution than Atheists; evolution threatens nobody's faith. It's no more of an attack on religion then Theories on Gravity or basic Algebra.

I just don't see the issue, other then wanting to use my money to teach their religion. If you really can't stand to have your kid learn about science, home school them, send them to private school, or grow a pair and accept that your kids should know more than you, even if it makes you "wrong" in their eyes. Kids always think their parents are wrong, it's not due to evolution.

If you want to learn science go to school, if you want to practice religion go to church.

If you can't reconcile the fact that science disproves your folk tales YOU need to find a way to cope, not science, not the rest of us. It is YOUR problem.

Scientific evidence disproves the notion that the earth is 6000 years old. It instead true. Period. You can reconcile that with your book however you like, but don't force children to learn things that are provably false.

the vast majority of christians and jews DO NOT BELIEVE the earth is 6000 years old.only a small fringe element of young earth ceationists believe that.infact no where in the bible does it state how old the earth is.

Indiana Pi Bill, anyone? LOL. This whole debate stems from scientific illiteracy of the religious right; if they understood evolution, I highly doubt there'd be as much of a force against it.

I too, am an Atheist and have no problem with Religious examples being used in class. Our entire issue is with it being used to water down science, not it being used as a school topic. Some theists see this as an attack to "convert" their children to Atheism, but there are more Christian believers of evolution than Atheists; evolution threatens nobody's faith. It's no more of an attack on religion then Theories on Gravity or basic Algebra.

I just don't see the issue, other then wanting to use my money to teach their religion. If you really can't stand to have your kid learn about science, home school them, send them to private school, or grow a pair and accept that your kids should know more than you, even if it makes you "wrong" in their eyes. Kids always think their parents are wrong, it's not due to evolution.

Teaching kids on public schools about religions is just to show them what they religions are out there and what they generally believe in. Teaching a child what other religions aka other students feel or think like is not something that is negative but could work positively.

the vast majority of christians and jews DO NOT BELIEVE the earth is 6000 years old.only a small fringe element of young earth ceationists believe that.infact no where in the bible does it state how old the earth is.

Another fine reason why these fringe fruitcakes should not be in charge of the teaching criteria of public schools.

Teaching kids on public schools about religions is just to show them what they religions are out there and what they generally believe in. Teaching a child what other religions aka other students feel or think like is not something that is negative but could work positively.

Exactly. Teach theology in schools. Don't preach religion in schools.

There are Muslim communities in the US, should they have school in a Mosque? Or places with higher Japanese speaking populations than English, which happens in many "immigrant" towns in NY; should they just teach in Japanese? It's obvious that we need a standard education throughout the entire country, so we don't have a New York education or a Texas education or a California education, only an American education. To specifically say that we should teach some Americans different than others is the very same argument that was used for Segregation. It's never separate but equal, it doesn't exist.
Teaching in a different language isn't in the same ballpark as the debate we're having now. Not everyone turns out to be a scientist. Everyone has to speak English. Not a good comparison.
Also, we do not currently have a standard education throughout this country. A kid taught at an inner city school is not going to be the same as a kid taught at an affluent, suburban school. Education equality will never be reached therefore I do not believe that is a viable point.
I never said we should have school in church, a mosque, or any other religious establishment. I simply said that I see nothing wrong with a community teaching the beliefs of it's predominant religion's version of creationism, in a VOLUNTARY class, to its students. Nothing wrong with that. If a parent does not want to their child subjected to it, then they don't have to send the child to the class. I also never advocated for it to be a requirement of each school system. It should be a choice of each state and then down to the school system of whether they want curriculum such as this taught at their school.
Secular rights outweigh Christian rights in the same way that they outweigh all rights based on belief over evidence. To do otherwise would allow for witch trials, sharia laws, using ghosts as criminal witnesses, etc. Laws should be based on evidence of their ability to serve the community, versus their ability help a politician to pander to the religious right. Your belief system has nothing to do with whether or not you're scientifically illiterate, and I never said it did, but teaching creation as if it were science promotes illiteracy. (Which is exactly what I said before) Just as I don't tell you to teach evolution in churches, I don't expect you to teach creation in the classroom; there is no favoritism here.
So, in your eyes, the Catholic church should be forced to pay for birth control for it's employees? Religious rights do trump secular rights in cases such as the one we're speaking of. The cases you brought up (sharia, witch hunts) are harmful to a person physically and emotionally therefore the greater good should trump them. There is a line to draw when speaking of religious rights vs the rights of all. Physical and emotional harm is that line. Not the belief by some that science outweighs religious belief.

I never said it was in the Constitution, although the SCOTUS has ruled it to be a valid Constitutional premise for laws.
They also upheld the AHA.
Neither evolution nor Sex education are religious tenants, they are scientific theories and they do outweigh faith;
I beg to differ my friend. Evolution is vehemently opposed by many religions and has not been proven. If we're speaking of Micro-evolution, you have a point. However, Macro-evolution has not been proven. Many religions, including mine, do not believe the macro-evolution theory. Yet, when my son comes home from school I have to teach him to take the test according to what the book says, not to what he believes.
Sex education is a no brainer here. I do not want my son being taught the version of sex education offered in public school. Period. They teach that protected sex is the best way to go. I teach abstinence until marriage is the best way to go. They teach that homosexual sex is acceptable (in some school districts). I do not. They teach things beyond the science such as oral sex, etc. I teach those things a different way.
it is not a matter of my religion or your religion, it's a matter of learning in school versus using tax payer money to endorse your religion;
Again, as I've said, I would not endorse a student being required to learn any religion. I've made that point crystal clear.
science outweighs religion in the eyes of the law. In a court case, they don't take psychics, or mediums, or witch doctors, or biblical tenants as evidence over the scientifically based evidence that is acceptable in court. We're going to take your fingerprints and a blood sample, not a quote from your holy book.
I believe this is a ridiculous argument. What evidence can a Bible show in a courtroom? None. What psychic can show a track record of predictions that is vouched for by a court authority? None. Of course we take fingerprints. God designed us to all have a different one. Of course we're taking a blood sample. God designed us to have different blood types and unique DNA.
But, both evolution and sex ed typically require a parents permission slip; it is optional, nobodies forcing your kids to learn anything.
Evolution? No, it is required. Sex ed is typically a permission slip, I'll agree with you there

Every other faith can make the same claim. So, which one is truly "factual?" Are you honestly arguing that Buddhism, Shinto, Hinduism, the Tao, Confucianism, etc. should ALL be taught as SCIENCE in schools? That all it requires is for the local majority having the same faith to decide what's "science" in the local school? Would you appreciate YOUR child being taught evolution and Buddhism but not "Creationism" in a school they attended?
Again, as I've said a million times in this thread, I would not expect any class teaching any religions beliefs about anything to be mandatory.
I happen to be Christian, and I think evolution could easily fit into a Designers plan. It has a certain orderly symmetry to it. I also think Creationism is "crackpot science," with no more value as a scientific "theory" than Norse mythology. Religion's place is in Church and church schools. That's where my faith come into play. In school, it is the rational mind that is being developed. Schools are no place for a particular religion to obtain religious converts, because people of many different faiths share both use for their children and the tax burden that goes with paying for it.
I totally believe in microevolution. Macroevolution is what I have a problem with. The Bible specifically states that we did not start from an amoeba. It states a man was created by a Creator and then a woman from his rib. And that's it. There is no other interpretation that can be made of the Bible in that instance.

Yes. It does.

Yes it does what? The Constitution says "separation of church and state"? I'd like for you to show me that.
Or yes it does in reference to scientific theories outweighing my faith? I can play that game. No it doesn't.

Yes it does what? The Constitution says "separation of church and state"? I'd like for you to show me that.
Or yes it does in reference to scientific theories outweighing my faith? I can play that game. No it doesn't.

Yea, I guess it's hidden all the way in the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

-First Amendment, U.S. Constitution

Or even in the Texas Constitution:

"No money shall be appropriated, or drawn from the Treasury for the benefit of any sect, or religious society, theological or religious seminary; nor shall property belonging to the State be appropriated for any such purposes."

-Article 1, Section 7, Texas Constitution

Actually the carbon dating methods assumed to be accurate by scientists have been called into question. And no, algebra is not against my faith. I'm sure Jesus used the same order of operations as we do.

Schools should offer a trustworthy curriculum in which only facts are presented. If we allow creationism to be taught kids will think it is the same as their other classes that are grounded in reality. Therefore we're feeding them disinformation as though it is truth, setting them up to be conservative marks as adults.

Actually the carbon dating methods assumed to be accurate by scientists have been called into question. And no, algebra is not against my faith. I'm sure Jesus used the same order of operations as we do.

That the study of carbon-dating is being constantly updated does not contradict the scientific basis for evolution. . . or the fact that the world is much more than 6,000 years old.

As a native Texan of *$% decades...I have to agree with your post. It's sad, but a reality.

I've seen some interesting remarks by other Texans regarding several topics in which they say to other Texans, "If you don't like the way it is in Texas then get the **** out!"

I'm not getting out. I'll continue to throw in whatever time, effort, and money that I can to see Texas change in a way that it a better state for all people, not the people who run the Legislation and special interest cronies. Our education system has gone straight to hell. Healthcare is getting worse by the year and especially for women. Zealot pro-life has become a danger to women's reproductive health. And the list goes on.
Texas use to be, in my opinion, a "grand, proud, and loved state". I can't say that anymore because it has collected too many radicals without a worthy cause.

Thanks...

Texas will be a better state in the not-distant future because of the efforts of a lot of people like you.

It won't just 'happen', it will happen because your hard work made it happen !

Teaching in a different language isn't in the same ballpark as the debate we're having now. Not everyone turns out to be a scientist. Everyone has to speak English. Not a good comparison.
Also, we do not currently have a standard education throughout this country. A kid taught at an inner city school is not going to be the same as a kid taught at an affluent, suburban school. Education equality will never be reached therefore I do not believe that is a viable point.
I never said we should have school in church, a mosque, or any other religious establishment. I simply said that I see nothing wrong with a community teaching the beliefs of it's predominant religion's version of creationism, in a VOLUNTARY class, to its students. Nothing wrong with that. If a parent does not want to their child subjected to it, then they don't have to send the child to the class. I also never advocated for it to be a requirement of each school system. It should be a choice of each state and then down to the school system of whether they want curriculum such as this taught at their school.
First, no, not everyone needs to speak English by any social rule or current law in America. America has no official language, you can require any official report be translated for you. I personally don't agree with that and think there should be an official language and that it should be English. Language is a learned skill, not an aspect of birth, it's not discrimination to require English. So, in a way, we agree on this, although I'm not certain if it's for the same reason.

I agree that our School system isn't perfect (understatement), but that's certainly not a good reason to accept it as it is. We shouldn't accept anything less than a standard and uniform education, at-least for a core curriculum. Education equality will never be reached if, and only if, we don't try harder. We might not agree on everything, but I don't read a "defeatist" vibe from you, so I can only assume we agree that we should always try harder, instead of giving up, when things suck.

Science is not and should never be a voluntary class. Not everyone will be a scientist, but everyone should have a basic understanding of science. It's the basis for life's Bull-Crap-Meter, how else will you know when a proposal is or isn't in your best interest? You simply can't do that when you have no basic understanding of the world. You mention "micro-evolution", which I'll get to later, but it's evident that you are familiar with some science. Could you even stomach the proposal that your child not learn science? It's not a big philosophical question, no more so than whether you should teach Math or English to a child, even though they won't be Mathematicians or Journalists.

I was a college math tutor for several years, and I constantly got the "when will I ever use this in the real world?" crap from kids, and I said "you probably won't, but learn it anyway." (Little bastards). But, in reality, you're constantly using math and science, whether you realize it or not, and you can easily recognize the adults that are illiterate to math/science in the exact same way you could recognize someone who can't read. They are typically the janitors and hamburger flippers of life, which is why I'm so passionate to protect our children from that. I don't want my children, your children, or anyone's children to be forced into that life. (Although, some math/science illiterate people grow up to be congressmen.)

So, in your eyes, the Catholic church should be forced to pay for birth control for it's employees? Religious rights do trump secular rights in cases such as the one we're speaking of. The cases you brought up (sharia, witch hunts) are harmful to a person physically and emotionally therefore the greater good should trump them. There is a line to draw when speaking of religious rights vs the rights of all. Physical and emotional harm is that line. Not the belief by some that science outweighs religious belief.
I think the Catholic Church should absolutely pay for birth control. In theory, no Catholic employee will ever use it as contraception, only for treating PMS. What if we gave such benefit of the doubt to every religion and employer; "Sorry, my religion forbids me from giving you health coverage, at all." No-insurance-afarians. There's a reason we don't give special treatment to religion; it will be abused, and you know it.

Scientific illiteracy is as harmful to our society as any physical attack; racial prejudices due to social-Darwinism, anti-medicine cults, higher unemployment due to untrained workers, distrust of valid scientific warnings, rape as a method to cure AIDS, Faith-healing as an alternative to chemotherapy, etc. Scientific illiteracy has a real, empirically proven effect of doing harm to America. I wouldn't care if it didn't.

I beg to differ my friend. Evolution is vehemently opposed by many religions and has not been proven. If we're speaking of Micro-evolution, you have a point. However, Macro-evolution has not been proven. Many religions, including mine, do not believe the macro-evolution theory. Yet, when my son comes home from school I have to teach him to take the test according to what the book says, not to what he believes.~snip
First, Macro-evolution is a creation of Christian Apologists, not any Biologist. Scientists in the field don't believe there is any difference between a small thing evolving and a big thing evolving or a small change over a small time versus a big change over a big time. It's all the same theory and takes the same evidence; if micro-evolution is true, macro-evolution is true by definition, because they're the same thing. In case you are being misled, know that there is no great debate about this among scientists; united states - Are only 700 out of 480,000 life scientists creationists? - Skeptics Stack Exchange , 95% of all scientists believe in evolution, and 99.85% among those that actually study life in any way. If you choose to teach your children an alternative, so be it, I have nothing against it, but please don't water down all Science education with a completely fake "debate" among scientific theories. There is no debate among scientists.

Sex education is a no brainer here. I do not want my son being taught the version of sex education offered in public school. Period. They teach that protected sex is the best way to go. I teach abstinence until marriage is the best way to go. They teach that homosexual sex is acceptable (in some school districts). I do not. They teach things beyond the science such as oral sex, etc. I teach those things a different way.
We've discussed that such education is optional by permission slip. But, I think you have a misunderstanding of the class, which I've sat in on recently in both Florida and New York (can't say "everywhere", but I've seen 5 classes of it now); they don't teach safe sex first, they always teach abstinence as the best method. Many times they say the phrase, "But, you're best chance is to not have sex at all." or "Abstinence is the only method that is 100% safe". Oral sex is mentioned, but only in the light of, you can still get a disease, not "It's so great, you should try it!". Homosexual sex is not mentioned in any class I've ever sat in, other than one that presented the exceptionally vague idea that homosexuals use anal sex, and still need to use protection against STDs. That's doesn't condone Homosexual sex, and definitely didn't promote it. It's basic knowledge versus a recent rant I heard "they'll teach my kids to eat S**T just like all those FA***TS!" But, again, you can opt out. Seriously, they're going to have questions one day, sex is even in the bible. If you rather answer it, great, that's preferable if you ask me, just know what the hell you're doing; namely that abstinence only programs have the absolute worst record for reducing teen pregnancies and transmissions of STDs.
Again, as I've said, I would not endorse a student being required to learn any religion. I've made that point crystal clear.
You're contradicting yourself. If you're going to have them teach a creationist lesson in school, that's teaching religion. I don't see your position as crystal clear, here.
I believe this is a ridiculous argument. What evidence can a Bible show in a courtroom? None. What psychic can show a track record of predictions that is vouched for by a court authority? None. Of course we take fingerprints. God designed us to all have a different one. Of course we're taking a blood sample. God designed us to have different blood types and unique DNA.
Where, in the bible, does it mention any of that? And, yes people try to use bible quotes as evidence in court cases all the time; Supreme Court Turns Down Challenge to Jury's Use of Bible | Fox News . Also, there's always someone who tries to disbar Atheists as witnesses if they swear on a bible, later saying that they must be liars if they're willing to swear on god without believing in him.

Evolution? No, it is required. Sex ed is typically a permission slip, I'll agree with you there
In all counties where this is even conceivably an issue, they typically still give out permission slips for Evolution lectures. I had to get a permission slip to be read an excerpt from a Harry Potter book, when I was in high school.

"So, in your eyes, the Catholic church should be forced to pay for birth control for it's employees? Religious rights do trump secular rights in cases such as the one we're speaking of. The cases you brought up (sharia, witch hunts) are harmful to a person physically and emotionally therefore the greater good should trump them. There is a line to draw when speaking of religious rights vs the rights of all. Physical and emotional harm is that line. Not the belief by some that science outweighs religious belief."

In my eyes the Catholic Church has no standing when it come to anything, speaking of dogma!! These is a group of religious nuts that allowed high ranking officials to cover up child abuse? They have caused enough physical harm. They should be taxed and heavily.

So what if you teach somebody the earth has devolved to this degree of stupidity in 6000 years? How does this matter other than if you embrace the belief whole-heartedly you probably won't have a career in anthropology or archeology.

Not that I think this is a great idea but I really don't see the harm in it. It's TX and TX people are, well, different.

The institution that was suppose to teach open mindedness and critical thinking is teaching inaccurate statements. Considering the establishment, if the students do not study the inaccurate statements may fail the exam which makes this a double negative standard.

The message: Even though dinosaurs lived million of years ago you should state that earth is 6000 if you want to pass the exam. What they learn is: Accuracy is not important, power, and group think is.

The institution that was suppose to teach open mindedness and critical thinking is teaching inaccurate statements. Considering the establishment, if the students do not study the inaccurate statements may fail the exam which makes this a double negative standard.

The message: Even though dinosaurs lived million of years ago you should state that earth is 6000 if you want to pass the exam. What they learn is: Accuracy is not important, power, and group think is.
If nothing else, it will prepare you for a life of lies. A career in politics maybe.

What will you do with 26 million politicians?

An excellent source of protein. If you can't transcend the 2nd law, they can be used as cat food.

I always get a giggle over folks throwing absolute tantrums and talking **** about an entire state over a couple of schools supposedly teaching creationism. ( really, a few powerpoint slides don't really offer much in the way of "teaching")

anyways, i'd like some corroboration on the topic... a political activist group who cringes at the mention of religion and Mother Jones.. well, they don't really garner much credibility

if school are giving creationism 101 classes as requirement, well we got a problem.... a couple of powerpoint slides don't really count for much a problem at all, though... not nearly enough to warrant tantrums and stereotyping, anyways.

Sounds as if other theories are being taught as well ie evolution, etc. What's the issue? ALL points of view are being taught instead of SOME points of view. Seeing as how our country is predominantly Christian, especially in Texas, Christian "theory" is relevant to the audience.

It's just not relevant to reality. Creationism is nonsense. Christianity is nonsense. It doesn't matter how many people believe it, that doesn't make it true.

Texans are just idiots.

Back
Top Bottom