• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Many Evangelicals say they won't be vaccinated against Covid-19

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/covid-vaccine-evangelicals/index.html

At Pastor Tony Spell's Sunday sermon this week, he preached a different kind of message than usual to his congregants: Don't trust Covid-19 vaccines.

"I'll just tell you today, if being anti-mask and anti-vaccine is anti-government, then I'm proud to be anti-government," Spell, who has made a national name for himself protesting Covid-19 rules in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, told Life Tabernacle Church congregants.

He goes on to falsely state: "If you have a 99.6% survival rate, why do you want somebody to contaminate your bloodstream with something that may or may not hurt you?"

Strong "evidence" (wink wink) that some Evangelicals are truly a detriment and/or danger to the larger community around them.

Strong "evidence" (wink wink) that some Evangelicals are truly a detriment and/or danger to the larger community around them.

Man, thats awful.

Also worth noting: many blacks say they wont get the vaccine either. Heres a CNN story:

Thats awful too. Right?
Thats "pretty strong evidence that some blacks are a detriment and/or danger to the larger community around them"...right?

What are we going to do about these dangerous groups that refuse to get vaccinated? Like evangelicals and blacks?
What are your suggestions?

Just an anecdote, there's a huge (well over 10,000 attendees to several services on a Sunday) evangelical Christian church attended by, practically, only white people, though they do have Arabic and Hispanic congregations, that's been mask-less for many months. They did recently open up another building for those churchgoers that want attendees to wear a mask. The bldg is huge, and about the same size as the main church. Six people showed up.

I think that is a personal choice...no one should be persuaded one way or the other imho...that includes pastors speaking out from the pulpit...

I don't know much.....but, if you have been vaccinated against covid-19, surely you're not likely to get it?
Especially so if you still maintain the sensible things to do like frequent washing of hands, mask-wearing and safe distancing. Right?

They can only be a likely danger to you.........if you have intentions of foregoing any other precautionary measures!
DO YOU?

I am scheduled for vaccine....but I tell you, I'm not going to simply rely on it.
I'd still be doing those precautionary measures - safe-distancing, wearing a mask in places like grocery stores.

My point? Covid wouldn't be the last of the viruses that will come our way. Especially, with how the world is now.

Maintaining those precautionary measures should be automatically part now of a new lifestyle.

Man, thats awful.

Also worth noting: many blacks say they wont get the vaccine either. Heres a CNN story:

Thats awful too. Right?
Thats "pretty strong evidence that some blacks are a detriment and/or danger to the larger community around them"...right?

What are we going to do about these dangerous groups that refuse to get vaccinated? Like evangelicals and blacks?
Well that's different. They have a reason not to trust the govt. Evangelicals don't.

I don't know much.....but, if you have been vaccinated against covid-19, surely you're not likely to get it?
Especially so if you still maintain the sensible things to do like frequent washing of hands, mask-wearing and safe distancing. Right?

They can only be a likely danger to you.........if you have intentions of foregoing any other precautionary measures!
DO YOU?

I am scheduled for vaccine....but I tell you, I'm not going to simply rely on it.
I'd still be doing those precautionary measures - safe-distancing, wearing a mask in places like grocery stores.

My point? Covid wouldn't be the last of the viruses that will come our way. Especially, with how the world is now.

Maintaining those precautionary measures should be automatically part now of a new lifestyle.

Yes, mask wearing is practically universal in Asia and they experience less colds and flus because of it.

I can count on one finger (really!) the number of cases of influenza I saw in my emergency department this winter. Based on national data, the same is true across the country. Although SARS-CoV2 is far worse than the flu, the flu is not benign; in a normal year, it is estimated to kill 12,000-60,000 people (depending on how bad that year’s variant is). The total lack of flu this year is a tremendous gift.
And pediatricians across the world will tell you how few of the normal “winter viruses” they’ve seen this year. This is, at least partly, due to masking. This, too, is an extraordinary feat, and worth repeating.
Here’s the final thing: When we are all willing to wear masks, even just in certain situations, the mask both loses its stigma and gains power to protect all of us from both big threats like Covid-19, and smaller threats like the flu. It no longer signals that a person is sick, or that a person is strange, nor that they have a particular cultural or ethnic background. It is no longer scary or felt to be an imposition on our rights. Mask-wearing can simply signal that we care about others’ health, and about our own.
The Covid vaccine doesn't mean we can unmask. In fact, we should be putting more on.
This will require a sea change in our public attitudes, but other countries have done it: after the original SARS outbreak, many Asian countries normalized mask-wearing. And this sea change in attitudes is already starting to happen in the United States. Masks don’t have to signify something scary or unfamiliar. Check out Taylor Swift’s flowery mask at the Grammys, or Jennifer Aniston’s “famous face mask.” As the parent of an-almost-teenager, I can tell you that her mask has become her favorite new accessory. It has become a form of self-expression or a marker of being part of the in-group. It is also a growing domestic business opportunity.

One small takeaway from SARS-CoV-2 for Americans should be that masks can make a difference for us, too.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...-lives-they-still-can-should-post-ncna1263366

Why are evangelicals proud to be anti government? That alone sounds crazy like anti government militia stuff.

If I had to guess it’d be probably that the only law is God’s law, and that anything imposed by a government is most likely not God’s law, or even against God’s law.

If I had to guess it’d be probably that the only law is God’s law, and that anything imposed by a government is most likely not God’s law, or even against God’s law.
Then they are not obeying what Paul said in Romans 13:1,2...

"Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves."

Taken in conjunction with Peter's words at Acts 5:29 when the high priest ordered the disciples to stop their preaching work, the only time Christians are to obey God's laws over man's, is when man's laws conflict with God's laws, and then God's laws come 1st...

“We must obey God as ruler rather than men."

Then they are not obeying what Paul said in Romans 13:1,2...

"Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves."

Taken in conjunction with Peter's words at Acts 5:29 when the high priest ordered the disciples to stop their preaching work, the only time Christians are to obey God's laws over man's, is when man's laws conflict with God's laws, and then God's laws come 1st...

“We must obey God as ruler rather than men."

Paul does not speak for god. His word in not authoritative.

Many Evangelicals say they won't be vaccinated against Covid-19

Is that their gospel?

Man, thats awful.

Thats awful too. Right?

Vaccinate them.

This could be one reason that organized religion attendance is at its lowest level in American history.

<wink, winking back> Surely you would agree that some ______ (any group) are detriments, dangerous, or just plain dumbasses.

From your link:
While 95% of Evangelical leaders who responded to a January survey from the National Association of Evangelicals said they would be open to getting a vaccine, Spell is adamantly against it. He's among the significant number of Evangelical Christians who have remained opposed to getting vaccinated for Covid-19.

Raise your hand if you've never heard of Pastor Spell or his Life Tabernacle Church before now. I hadn't it, but now I realize he's that dumbass in Baton Rouge who's been arrested and blah-blah-blah. https://www.theamericanconservative...cle-christian-coronavirus-selfish-showboater/

But by all means, let's focus on this attention-seeking pastor rather than on the great, great majority of evangelical pastors.

Every person I know whom I would describe as "evangelical" has been vaccinated.

Apparently you’re not a Christian.

What is a "Christian"?
Can only fanatical fundamentalists be called "Christians"?
Did they succeed in re-defining the term "Christian"?

What is a "Christian"?
Can only fanatical fundamentalists be called "Christians"?
Did they succeed in re-defining the term "Christian"?
No, but you surely have...

the vaccine hesitancy is dropping. I think when people talk to health professionals and they address the specific concerns people are more willing to listen. Stay away from the politicians! Listen to the doctors.

The real fault lies with the leftwing media. They lost all credibility due to their constant drumbeat of now-disproven impeachment charges of the president. It should be no surprise that the majority of Americans don't believe a word they say. So now if a real crisis arises that calls for warning, no one will believe them. The far left caused this distrust. If people die from it, it's the media with blood on their hands.

Back
Top Bottom