• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mandatory Voting

Make Voting Mandatory & Punish Those Who Refuse?

• Total voters
We had mandatory voting until the 1980s.

There was a small fine if you didn't vote, so turnout was always 90% or more.

These days, it shouldn't be mandatory, because there are a lot of refusers who don't care about being a responsible citizen.

Not voting is not an option for me, because it's a democratic right that is not a certainty.

Not understanding #1.
#4. Primaries get the people to know candidates from other areas. Plus I don't like the ideal of having 10 R's v 10 D's vying for one office.
I'd add split the Electoral College vote proportionally (if 52 -48, split them as close to that as possible) among two top winners, or eliminate it altogether.

Not understanding #1.
#4. Primaries get the people to know candidates from other areas. Plus I don't like the ideal of having 10 R's v 10 D's vying for one office.
I'd add split the Electoral College vote proportionally (if 52 -48, split them as close to that as possible) among two top winners, or eliminate it altogether.
Works ok-ish in Maine, New Zealand, Israel, GB and most of western Europe.

Not everybody should be allowed to vote. It’s time for some common sense. If you’re a drug addict…nope! If you believe in Qanon…nope! If you are a deplorable…nope! If you’re a green hair weirdo…nope….If you are uneducated…nope! If you don’t speak English…nope!
Every citizen should be allowed to vote , in fact encouraged to vote. Undereducated green haired weirdo's, skinheads, whatever. Americans' should vote. Who knows, someday the green hairs might be in charge.

With so many ignorant people voting, it seems quite possible that many non-igornant people don't vote.
Those of us who frequent political forums, take the time to actually see how elected officials voted or see what they said on a particular issue or even watch political shows are in the minority when it comes voters. We are basically like the starwars and trekkie nerds of politics. While most of the voters are just casual fans who only watched some of the movies and tv series.

Back
Top Bottom