• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mandatory quarantine issued for people living in 30 large houses linked to COVID-19 in East Lansing

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
College students in Michigan who tested positive for Covid 19 were not Self quarantining so Michigan has issued
a mandatory quarantine and if a student violates the quarantine they can be fined or even go jail.

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Health officials have ordered a mandatory two-week quarantine for people living in 30 large houses -- including 23 fraternities and sororities -- linked to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks in East Lansing. Violating the quarantine can result in jail time and/or fines, officials said.

Officials with the Ingham County Health Department identified 23 fraternities and sororities and seven other large rental houses as having links to COVID-19.

From ClickOnD:

Mandatory quarantine issued for people living in 30 large houses linked to COVID-19 in East Lansing

Last edited:
it's almost like sending college kids back to college was gonna create COVID pockets all over the country.

College students in Michigan who tested positive for Covid 19 were not Self quarantining so Michigan has issued
a mandatory quarantine and if a student violates the quarantine they can be fined or even go jail.

This sort of draconian measure is the only thing that works on idiots. Hit people in their pockets where it hurts most. Give them a choice; pay up or go to jail. They'll soon get the idea.

Last edited:
But... but... Constitution! Freedoms and ****! This is 'Merica!

(Someone from the Conservative side should be here shortly to explain to you the god given right Americans have to endanger others by their own stupidity.)

it's almost like sending college kids back to college was gonna create COVID pockets all over the country.

Yep. Doing in person school was a massively ****ing predictable mistake. I'm extremely pissed about it.

(Someone from the Conservative side should be here shortly to explain to you the god given right Americans have to endanger others by their own stupidity.)

I made the same point in another thread. The sort of stupid, macho arrogance that some people display is breathtaking.

Nobody could have predicted that, right?

told my wife before college started something like...

"YOU'RE NOT GONNA STOP COLLEGE FRESHMEN FROM PARTYING!!!!"

i was really talking about partying in general.

told my wife before college started something like...

"YOU'RE NOT GONNA STOP COLLEGE FRESHMEN FROM PARTYING!!!!"

i was really talking about partying in general.

I know; our schools, colleges and universities are just starting back after the summer break and lockdown. I hate to think about what the results might be.

This sort of draconian measure is the only thing that works on idiots. Hit people in their pockets where it hurts most. Give them a choice; pay up or go to jail. They'll soon get the idea.

Idiots can only have a chance to function properly where there are clear rules with enforcement.

I thought I would just direct your attention to this:

Judge rules Pennsylvania governor's COVID-19 restrictions unconstitutional

But I’m sure most here would just call the Judge an idiot. So . . .

How many lost their lives during the Revolution because they thought freedom from tyranny mattered? How many lost their lives during the Civil war because they thought the freedom of slaves mattered? To dismiss the Constitution because of death would have never got us where we are today.

:)

Nobody could have predicted that, right?

My wife works in a high school. CT is one of the "good" states yet many of our schools are closing for in person teaching as student after student comes down with the virus. I'm frankly afraid for her life but she is too dedicated to stay home. I'm sick of hearing that school isn't dangerous for the kids because..............

How many lost their lives during the Revolution because they thought freedom from tyranny mattered? How many lost their lives during the Civil war because they thought the freedom of slaves mattered? To dismiss the Constitution because of death would have never got us where we are today.

The judge is an idiot and we can expect this to be overturned quickly.

My wife works in a high school. CT is one of the "good" states yet many of our schools are closing for in person teaching as student after student comes down with the virus. I'm frankly afraid for her life but she is too dedicated to stay home. I'm sick of hearing that school isn't dangerous for the kids because..............

I wish you all well. Keep her safe.

Why do you believe a temporary restriction of your 'freedom' and having to wear a mask is "tyrrany"? How much more ridiculous hyperbole should we expect in your posts? It's those bloody stupid, arrogant libertarians who are the danger to your country. "Tyrrany"? Give me a ****ing break:roll:

Last edited:

I also hope all goes well and your wife and the students and staff at her school are safe and Covid 19 free.

Why do you believe a temporary restriction of your 'freedom' and having to wear a mask is "tyrrany"? How much more ridiculous hyperbole should we expect in your posts? It's those bloody stupid, arrogant libertarians who are the danger to your country.
I’m personally following the guidelines. But unlike others I can understand the Constitutional issues. And the history behind it. Of course I also understand that to many getting rid of the Constitution is a good thing.

I’m personally following the guidelines. But unlike others I can understand the Constitutional issues. And the history behind it. Of course I also understand that to many getting rid of the Constitution is a good thing.

Who are these "many" individuals?

Actually , if anyone violates the quarantine it is a misdemeanor and it is the county health department ( because this a health issue ) that put the mandatory quarantine in place.

“ I do not take this lightly, but there is an outbreak centered on Michigan State University and it is quickly becoming a crisis,” Ingham County Health Officer Linda S. Vail said. “The surge in cases we have seen over the past few weeks is alarming. I am disheartened to add that this outbreak is being fueled in part by a lack of cooperation and compliance from some MSU students, many residing in the properties now under mandatory quarantine. We must contain COVID-19 cases; however, within the MSU community we have been unable to do so with comprehensive contact tracing so other means of disease containment are necessary.” ...

Violating the order is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail, a fine of up to $200 or both, authorities said. Police officers can arrest someone if they witness a violation or have reasonable cause to believe a violation has occurred.

Last edited:
Actually , if anyone violates the quarantine it is a misdemeanor and it is the county health department ( because this a health issue ) that put the mandatory quarantine in place.
Minnie since when do health departments make laws?

Minnie since when do health departments make laws?

The laws giving the health department the authority to enforce a mandatory quarantine may date back to the Ebola crisis or even earlier.

I remember When as a child I had Scarlet fever and we under mandatory quarantine.

Michigan’s public health system could support traveler screening and monitoring to limit the entry of cases into the U.S.
Hospitals and healthcare partners were also engaged to establish screening procedures for any patients presenting for care with a travel history and symptoms that could be indicative of a possible COVID-19 case. These activities have mirrored much of the public health response to recent Ebola outbreaks.

Furthermore, Michigan has a surveillance system to detect cases and clusters associated with an infectious disease outbreak as reported by healthcare providers, emergency departments and local health departments. In addition, emergency medical service (EMS) agencies have been working closely with MDHHS to report and investigate clusters of respiratory illness requiring EMS transfers to hospitals. These systems are reviewed daily to warn of potential outbreaks of illness, including COVID-19.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdhhs/2019-nCoV_Web_FAQ_Final_02.07.20_680693_7.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom