• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Manchin will back Jackson for Supreme Court

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Manchin has voted to confirm every judicial appointment made by Biden.

This was never a talking point except for the media that want to make him out as being a bad guy and/or those pissy because he didn’t support BBB.

Of course he will. There is 0 doubt in my mind that every Democrat will vote for her.

She'll also get some Republican votes but sadly gone - at least for now - are the days when qualified nominees were overwhelmingly voted for. Hell RGB was a 96-3 vote and Breyer was in that same ballpark. And those are just two examples.

Of course he will. There is 0 doubt in my mind that every Democrat will vote for her.

She'll also get some Republican votes but sadly gone - at least for now - are the days when qualified nominees were overwhelmingly voted for. Hell RGB was a 96-3 vote and Breyer was in that same ballpark. And those are just two examples.

It's largely republican shitbags. the Republicans keep putting up shitty, hack candidates like Kavanaugh and Christian Taliban Queen that are not qualified and have serious concerns, which are proven true with their ruling. Republicans have went all in on politicizing the court, even not allowing a vote. But yet they want to blame Democrats for that. Projecting all the time with them

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/nominations/SupremeCourtNominations1789present.htm.

Interesting to see the voting.

Manchin has voted to confirm every judicial appointment made by Biden.

This was never a talking point except for the media that want to make him out as being a bad guy and/or those pissy because he didn’t support BBB.
Yeah it’s not like this woman some outsider. Isn’t her brother-in-law Paul Ryan or something?

She’s part of the club.

Yeah it’s not like this woman some outsider. Isn’t her brother-in-law Paul Ryan or something?

She’s part of the club.
In laws, yeah.

She’s not an unknown entity by any stretch -

She’s part of the club.
Yeah she has the qualifications that most SC justices have. Ivy League - Yale or Harvard don't recall which offhand - a couple of Federal judgeships including time on an appeals court.

What makes her different in my mind is her experience as a public defender and having to deal with daily the fallout from SC decisions. That perspective is sorely needed on the court.

Yeah she has the qualifications that most SC justices have. Ivy League - Yale or Harvard don't recall which offhand - a couple of Federal judgeships including time on an appeals court.

What makes her different in my mind is her experience as a public defender and having to deal with daily the fallout from SC decisions. That perspective is sorely needed on the court.
Agreed, 4-5 justices should be public defenders and the other 4-5 should be prosecutors - for the sake of the justices understanding the impacts of their rulings on the greater society.

It's largely republican shitbags. the Republicans keep putting up shitty, hack candidates like Kavanaugh and Christian Taliban Queen that are not qualified and have serious concerns, which are proven true with their ruling. Republicans have went all in on politicizing the court, even not allowing a vote. But yet they want to blame Democrats for that. Projecting all the time with them

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/nominations/SupremeCourtNominations1789present.htm.

Democrats aren't immune to playing games. And honestly I don't care who started it and who the last offender was. More interested in seeing it stop.

TBH Presidents deserve to have their selections confirmed - whether it's a cabinet secretary or a judge - except in the most egregious circumstances.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/599732-manchin-will-back-jackson-for-supreme-court

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said on Friday that he will vote for Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's Supreme Court nomination, making it ever more likely she'll be confirmed to the court.

There is more in the link.

Looks like she will be confirmed. Good. She is an amazing nominee.
Well, it's about time he did something right. Wish he hadn't destroyed the voting rights bills. He can still take a slow boat to the Black Sea as far as I'm concerned! She is going to be a very good Justice, has more experience than 5 of the sitting Justices had when they were nominated if my memory serves. I have to say it made me sick to see her chastised by Ted Cruz, Hawley, of all people, and the others. She has integrity, honor and respects the constitution. They have NONE of those qualities.

She’s part of the club.

Indeed, the senate had already confirmed her twice on a bi-partisan basis.

Ahh yes, once again I get furious when I think about everything the GOP has done to the Court. It's a f-ing travesty. You certainly nailed it all on the head about the ridiculous hack candidates. And the cute little rush job of Barrett to bolster their oh-so-clandestine effort to strike down Roe vs Wade. I would bet serious money that NONE of the GOP will vote for her. Yes, they are that insidious and craven.

I'm just glad to see Democrats supporting black women again after they spent so much energy blocking Janice Rogers Brown and spewing bigotry at Condeleeza Rice.

I'm just glad to see Democrats supporting black women again after they spent so much energy blocking Janice Rogers Brown.

That was about 20 years ago. Meanwhile, the Republicans just named three people to the Supreme court but couldn't come up with a black woman for any of them.

Back
Top Bottom