• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Manafort's Lawyers Were Backchanneling Trump's Attorneys

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
According to an article in the New York Times, Paul Manafort's lawyers were briefing Trump's attorneys on what he told Mueller after he had already taken a plea deal. The plea deal was withdrawn by the Mueller investigation after it was discovered Paul Manafort had continually lied under oath to the FBI.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/us/politics/manafort-lawyer-trump-cooperation.html

Manafort’s Lawyer Said to Brief Trump Attorneys on What He Told Mueller

WASHINGTON — A lawyer for Paul Manafort, the president’s onetime campaign chairman, repeatedly briefed President Trump’s lawyers on his client’s discussions with federal investigators after Mr. Manafort agreed to cooperate with the special counsel, according to one of Mr. Trump’s lawyers and two other people familiar with the conversations.

The arrangement was highly unusual and inflamed tensions with the special counsel’s office when prosecutors discovered it after Mr. Manafort began cooperating two months ago, the people said. Some legal experts speculated that it was a bid by Mr. Manafort for a presidential pardon even as he worked with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, in hopes of a lighter sentence.

What I'd like to know is whether there was an agreement by Manafort's lawyers with Mueller to end their JDA with the WH, and then Manafort's team secretly continued it with the WH anyways.

That could be why the plea deal imploded.

Such strange behavior from innocent people with nothing to hide.

What I'd like to know is whether there was an agreement by Manafort's lawyers with Mueller to end their JDA with the WH, and then Manafort's team secretly continued it with the WH anyways.

From what I understand, not included in the plea deal.
Mueller and his team were aware of this.
From what I gather it is highly unusual.
Wonder if Mueller also used Mantafort's as a diversion with certain question. knowing that Trump lawyers were briefed on questions asked???

Now I wonder if Mueller will retry on the 10 charges that had a jury deadlock of 1 Juror

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ky-plea-bargain-brings-challenges-him-n940581
Manafort, under terms of his deal, agreed not to appeal the sentences in the Alexandria or District of Columbia case where he'd pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy against and one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice by tampering with witnesses.

Manafort’s alleged plea agreement breach also opens him up to being retried for 10 counts that the Alexandria jury was deadlocked on this summer.

The judge in that case had previously dismissed those charges without prejudice, meaning they could be brought again, following Manafort’s guilty plea and cooperation agreement.

From what I understand, not included in the plea deal.
Mueller and his team were aware of this.
From what I gather it is highly unusual.
Wonder if Mueller also used Mantafort's as a diversion with certain question. knowing that Trump lawyers were briefed on questions asked???

Now I wonder if Mueller will retry on the 10 charges that had a jury deadlock of 1 Juror

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ky-plea-bargain-brings-challenges-him-n940581
If Mueller knew about the JDA and still proceeded with a plea deal, then that was a serious misjudgment on his part.

No witches! You're the witch!

There wasn't. Gates had a gag but Manafort didn't. Obviously this had to be intentional. The prevailing theory is that Mueller knew Manafort was lying - Manafort and Trump synced stories through their lawyers, and Trump submitted the untrue story in the written answers he just submitted to Mueller. This is also why Mueller asked for an extension on Manafort and why this is all coming out now, right after Trump submitted the written answers. Also explains why Trump is all of a sudden freaking out about the investigation on Twitter. If Manafort was lying, and they synced stories, it means that Mueller can prove Manafort was lying and, possibly, therefore, that Trump lied in his statement to SC.

If Mueller knew about the JDA and still proceeded with a plea deal, then that was a serious misjudgment on his part.

Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Does he have the legal authority to demand it cease?
I will give Mueller the benefit of the doubt. I am sure he has been down these roads in the past.
Even if Trump pardons Mantafort, he is still open to State charges which from what I understand, he has plead guilty to

There wasn't. Gates had a gag but Manafort didn't. Obviously this had to be intentional. The prevailing theory is that Mueller knew Manafort was lying - Manafort and Trump synced stories through their lawyers, and Trump submitted the untrue story in the written answers he just submitted to Mueller. This is also why Mueller asked for an extension on Manafort and why this is all coming out now, right after Trump submitted the written answers. Also explains why Trump is all of a sudden freaking out about the investigation on Twitter. If Manafort was lying, and they synced stories, it means that Mueller can prove Manafort was lying and, possibly, therefore, that Trump lied in his statement to SC.

That makes sense.

That makes sense.

The really juicy bit is that none of Manafort's lawyers' interactions on this matter are protected by attorney client privilege so any information related to these dealings can be subpoenaed by the SC. Everything can be subpoenaed, even Trump's lawyers' notes on the matter.

The really juicy bit is that none of Manafort's lawyers' interactions on this matter are protected by attorney client privilege so any information related to these dealings can be subpoenaed by the SC. Everything can be subpoenaed, even Trump's lawyers' notes on the matter.

In effect a 2 way pipeline that only he (SC) can use?

According to an article in the New York Times, Paul Manafort's lawyers were briefing Trump's attorneys on what he told Mueller after he had already taken a plea deal. The plea deal was withdrawn by the Mueller investigation after it was discovered Paul Manafort had continually lied under oath to the FBI.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/us/politics/manafort-lawyer-trump-cooperation.html

Manafort’s Lawyer Said to Brief Trump Attorneys on What He Told Mueller

WASHINGTON — A lawyer for Paul Manafort, the president’s onetime campaign chairman, repeatedly briefed President Trump’s lawyers on his client’s discussions with federal investigators after Mr. Manafort agreed to cooperate with the special counsel, according to one of Mr. Trump’s lawyers and two other people familiar with the conversations.

The arrangement was highly unusual and inflamed tensions with the special counsel’s office when prosecutors discovered it after Mr. Manafort began cooperating two months ago, the people said. Some legal experts speculated that it was a bid by Mr. Manafort for a presidential pardon even as he worked with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, in hopes of a lighter sentence.

... and? Is there a story here? Gee, defense attorneys sharing information??? Is someone surprised?

There wasn't. Gates had a gag but Manafort didn't. Obviously this had to be intentional. The prevailing theory is that Mueller knew Manafort was lying - Manafort and Trump synced stories through their lawyers, and Trump submitted the untrue story in the written answers he just submitted to Mueller.

What story are you talking about?

... and? Is there a story here? Gee, defense attorneys sharing information??? Is someone surprised?

Potentially yes, there may be a huge story here. That's COLLUSION

It's not collusion when 2 lawyers are communicating on the up and up.
Lots of grasping here.
Could be this. Could be that. Could be that Mueller is pressuring Manafort to spin tales about Trump and he's making him twist in the wind by releasing this recent information.

It's not collusion when 2 lawyers are communicating on the up and up.
Lots of grasping here.
Could be this. Could be that. Could be that Mueller is pressuring Manafort to spin tales about Trump and he's making him twist in the wind by releasing this recent information.

Extremely unlikely to the point it's not even worth seriously considering. There is zero evidence in Mueller's history to suggest he would ever engage in such an extreme violation of his duties as a prosecutor. Prosecutors who pressure witnesses to lie in order to get a conviction don't last very long, and there is no way any of them would ever be able to develop a career history like Bob Mueller's.

Bob Mueller trying to get people to lie in order to get at Donald Trump is a conspiracy theory, and a particularly silly one at that.

You know people are going crazy when they argue that a person's lawyers can chat it up with another person's lawyers to keep their defendants story straight... And nobody thinks that there is collusion or a story.

To hell with these people, Mueller needs to clean their clocks like he did John Gotti and Sammy the Bull.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Recall how adamant trump was that he alone by himself and no lawyer help answer the SC's questions? I wonder if that story is about to change so he can pawn responsibility of those answers off on someone else?

When I was a prosecutor working for Rudy Giuliani, if a defense lawyer representing a cooperating witness continued to participate in a joint defense agreement, he would have investigated that lawyer and others in the joint defense for obstruction of justice. https://t.co/0P5OYNHnPF
— Mary Shannon Little (@realmarylittle) November 28, 2018

Also,

Manafort’s lawyers merely talking to Trump’s lawyers is unusual but not in itself improper. I’d never allow it as pros. and would probably end his cooperation if they did it over my wishes. Whether it is obstruction of course turns on what was said and the intent (I know, punt)
— Elie Honig (@eliehonig) November 28, 2018

15/ On its own, this could just be considered highly questionable judgment. But if this is part of a pattern of activity, you could imagine this being part of a larger obstruction of justice case being made by Mueller. It is another active attempt to undermine his investigation.
— Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) November 28, 2018

Collected in the following article about Giulani's strange decision to brag about the arrangement:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...obstruction-questions/?utm_term=.e16e6ee11ad4

You make a nice try at slinging Bull ****. Prevailing theory my ass.

Interesting speculation.

Of course, no one who isn't as much of a stable genius as Mr. Trump could have thought of it.

If true, that would be an "oopsie" of the first water.

Back
Top Bottom