• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Manafort lied after pleading guilty, Mueller's team says

Renato's Mariotti's analysis:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1067208372229980160

tl;dr version: it's really hard not to think that Manafort isn't angling for a pardon, and it's not inconceivable that he may have already been promised (in some fashion) a pardon for lying to Mueller. That said, Manafort committed new crimes that he hasn't been tried for, and all that's protecting him from prosecution for those crimes is there won't be a Democratic administration in 2021.

Thanks.

And yes, that bolded statement is an extremely pertinent point. And it becomes even more precarious for Whitaker due to the election in 2020, with the possibility of a Dem President. Which of course begets a Dem AG, who them may investigate Whitaker!

I suspect like so many of the Trump's sycophants, Whitaker may not have fully realized what he got himself into - but now does.

Where is the toilet seller these days???

This is it people. The gloves are off. Manafort may be thinking that prison is better than Russian's coming after him b/c A)He either owes them $$$$ B) They are/were going to send a hitman out to get him.

He may also be protecting Trump's or other people's $$$/life.

Meanwhile Mueller believes that he can prove w/o a shred of doubt that Manafort has lied to him under oath under numerous occasions.

Manafort lied after pleading guilty, Mueller's team says

Now some people are saying this is a win for Trump, but read it again. Mueller knows Manafort is lying has lied and continues to lie. Reports say that Mueller's reports will be devastating to Trump. What if there's things in there that Manafort didn't like? Things that put him in even worse position than he is now? Something drastic for him to choose even more time in prison... HINT: :shoot

This ain't gonna pretty.

I simultaneously want to be really hopeful about this and deeply cynical.

It really does sound like Mueller's team knows a whole lot more than Trump's team* bet they knew. It would do a great deal of good for the country if his supporters realized exactly what it is they supported, or defended, or failed to recognize as it is. Maybe - just maybe - I'd see a little hope.

But hey...it might just have been Manafort to cover Manafort's lying slimeball arse. We'll have a better idea when the sentencing memos are filed (and hopefully no portions are sealed/impounded).

* Teammates, Ex-teammates, and ex-teammates with an undefined "ex".

It really does sound like Mueller's team knows a whole lot more than Trump's team* bet they knew. It would do a great deal of good for the country if his supporters realized exactly what it is they supported, or defended, or failed to recognize as it is. Maybe - just maybe - I'd see a little hope.

But hey...it might just have been Manafort to cover Manafort's lying slimeball arse. We'll have a better idea when the sentencing memos are filed (and hopefully no portions are sealed/impounded).

His supporters are fully cognizant of what they're supporting and defending.

Last edited:

tl;dr version: it's really hard not to think that Manafort isn't angling for a pardon, and it's not inconceivable that he may have already been promised (in some fashion) a pardon for lying to Mueller. That said, Manafort committed new crimes that he hasn't been tried for, and all that's protecting him from prosecution for those crimes is there won't be a Democratic administration in 2021.
If Mueller can prove Trump is dangling pardons, it would be an impeachable offense.

Thanks.

And yes, that bolded statement is an extremely pertinent point. And it becomes even more precarious for Whitaker due to the election in 2020, with the possibility of a Dem President. Which of course begets a Dem AG, who them may investigate Whitaker!

I suspect like so many of the Trump's sycophants, Whitaker may not have fully realized what he got himself into - but now does.

Especially if team Trump got him to agree to an unknown discretion already, however slight. The whole thing reeks more and more of criminal organization.If that isn't the reality, well, I don't know how one would go about trying to look like a criminal organization and do a better job than team Trump. Everything he has done reeks.

Mueller certainly does love his perjury traps, doesn't he?
How did he commit perjury if his story at no point changed and he had a completely consistent explanation for his actions?

:)

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Mr. Preet Bharara said this is going to be a long week...

Also Ivana is the real first lady. Haven't you heard??

Hi supporters are full cognizant of what they're supporting and defending.
This.

They're as bad as him.

The only way to get rid of Trump is to vote him out, or for him to believe reelection is impossible.

Especially if team Trump got him to agree to an unknown discretion already, however slight. The whole thing reeks more and more of criminal organization.If that isn't the reality, well, I don't know how one would go about trying to look like a criminal organization and do a better job than team Trump. Everything he has done reeks.

And I cannot believe the FBI to be that incompetent unless they are already in the pockets of Trump, and I've seen no evidence for that whatsoever.

Hi supporters are full cognizant of what they're supporting and defending.

My faith in humanity is already low enough man...

I have to hope there are some exceptions.

If Mueller can prove Trump is dangling pardons, it would be an impeachable offense.

Mariotti discussed that. Proving a specific and deliberate promise would be fantastically difficult.

All it takes to accuse and indict someone for lying to the FBI is for the FBI to have anyone who says according to their notes someone else told a different story. If you tell the FBI you didn't know something and someone else says you did, the FBI can pick which of those two to indict for lying, using the other as proof.Unless under oath and recorded, there should be no prosecutions for lying to the FBI given the FBI has often been proven to lie.

B.S. as usual. Where are you getting your cracker-jack information? Same place you got your reasons to vote for and support Trump I suppose.

First, perjury has to be lies about Material matters in an ongoing investigation/proceeding. That's right Fox and Friend zombies, material matters, not just lies about clouds or random B.S.

Perjury is considered a "Serious Offense", it's a felony, not a misdemeanor.

Statements that entail an interpretation of fact are not perjury because people often draw inaccurate conclusions unwittingly or make honest mistakes without the intent to deceive. Individuals may have honest but mistaken beliefs about certain facts or their recollection may be inaccurate, or may have a different perception of what is the accurate way to state the truth. Like most other crimes in the common law system, to be convicted of perjury one must have had the intention (mens rea) to commit the act and to have actually committed the act (actus reus). Further, statements that are facts cannot be considered perjury, even if they might arguably constitute an omission, and it is not perjury to lie about matters that are immaterial to the legal proceeding.

So it's a serious offense, a Felony, that only pertains to lies that are material to the investigation/proceeding, and where they can prove intent to deceive, and not an "interpretation" of a fact.
And prosecution is especially tough on people who are given a chance in Queen for a Day or working a Plea agreement, and STILL choose to lie.

No Joko, it looks like you're just towing the right wing fake nooz line and you are peddling bull**** like the dummies on Fox.

My faith in humanity is already low enough man...

I have to hope there are some exceptions.

"Humanity" isn't 44% of the population. It's an unnervingly large percentage to be sure, but it's not even a majority.

I've been saying this for a very long time ...

And I cannot believe the FBI to be that incompetent unless they are already in the pockets of Trump, and I've seen no evidence for that whatsoever.

I don't follow. Not as incompetent as what?

I was saying that Whittaker has particular reason to be scared if team Trump has already gotten him to engage in some minor indiscretion. If so - and I'm not saying I have any reason to think - then he'll have to be particularly concerned because he'd have Mueller on his left, Trump on his right.

Either way, the main point was that if team Trump decided to pretend to be a criminal organization, they could hardly have done a better job of it (short of videotaping themselves selling drugs or something silly like that). Every last thing I find out stinks to high hell.

FYI, Trump can also preemptively pardon for those new crimes.

"Humanity" isn't 44% of the population. It's an unnervingly large percentage to be sure, but it's not even a majority.

There are a whole lot of other sections that aren't much better, though. If Trump supporters were the only section of willfull inhumanity in our species, the world would be a far better place.

Especially if team Trump got him to agree to an unknown discretion already, however slight. The whole thing reeks more and more of criminal organization.

You're only saying that because everybody around Trump is a criminal.

You're only saying that because everybody around Trump is a criminal.

Guilt by association is naughty, I know. But the cookie jar beckons...

oh it does so beckon.

I don't follow. Not as incompetent as what?

I was saying that Whittaker has particular reason to be scared if team Trump has already gotten him to engage in some minor indiscretion. If so - and I'm not saying I have any reason to think - then he'll have to be particularly concerned because he'd have Mueller on his left, Trump on his right.

Either way, the main point was that if team Trump decided to pretend to be a criminal organization, they could hardly have done a better job of it (short of videotaping themselves selling drugs or something silly like that). Every last thing I find out stinks to high hell.

That the FBI would have allowed Whitaker to stay pretty much unscratched. They are using him with or without his knowledge.

Guilt by association is naughty, I know. But the cookie jar beckons...

oh it does so beckon.

I was attempting a Princess Bride reference, but I botched it:

Buttercup: "We'll never survive!"
Westley: "Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

Mariotti discussed that. Proving a specific and deliberate promise would be fantastically difficult.
Not with the clown car of a legal team these people have.

Flynn was supposedly also offered a pardon, so if there is a second account of Trump's legal team dangling these, that might be all Mueller needs to get a judge to not recognize the pardon, and that could go to the SCOTUS.

Not with the clown car of a legal team these people have.

Flynn was supposedly also offered a pardon, so if there is a second account of Trump's legal team dangling these, that might be all Mueller needs to get a judge to not recognize the pardon, and that could go to the SCOTUS.

"Dangling" isn't good enough. If it was Trump would officially be an unindicted suspect for that, since he's only dangled pardons eighty six hundred times already.

I'm also unaware of how one could legally reverse a pardon. I'm not sure there's a mechanism for that.

Back
Top Bottom