• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man With Gun Detains Rapist

DebateChallenge

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Had the veteran been white liberals would be crucifying him

A man with a gun chased down and detained a rapist for police and was hailed as a hero. Good people with guns stop bad people.

What if the man accused a rape is acquitted ?

Then all you hero has done is falsely imprisoned someone.

What if the man accused a rape is acquitted ?

Then all you hero has done is falsely imprisoned someone.
You don’t understand. This one example destroys the gun-control argument for all time. And naturally had the gun gone off accidentally and killed the suspect and he turned out to be innocent, that would have destroyed the pro-gun case for all time. This is how reasoned debate on an issue works these days.

You don’t understand. This one example destroys the gun-control argument for all time. And naturally had the gun gone off accidentally and killed the suspect and he turned out to be innocent, that would have destroyed the pro-gun case for all time. This is how reasoned debate on an issue works these days.
Can I refer people to this message when they post yet another murder story and pretend that destroys gun rights arguments?

You don’t understand. This one example destroys the gun-control argument for all time.

How ?

...and naturally had the gun gone off accidentally and killed the suspect and he turned out to be innocent, that would have destroyed the pro-gun case for all time. This is how reasoned debate on an issue works these days.

So, in your mind, the gun control debate rests on the outcome of chance ?

Can I refer people to this message when they post yet another murder story and pretend that destroys gun rights arguments?
The debate gets foolish, was my point. But the issue is not one gun death, but the easy availability of guns that makes so many unnecessary deaths possible. One example of a gun left around the house for a child, or readily available for an enraged husband are cases that illustrate the problem.

The debate gets foolish, was my point. But the issue is not one gun death, but the easy availability of guns that makes so many unnecessary deaths possible. One example of a gun left around the house for a child, or readily available for an enraged husband are cases that illustrate the problem.
An anecdote is support for your side of the question, but not for the opposition? That hardly seems rational.

Define "easy availability", and how you would fix it.

What would want to do if your "fixes" didn't fix the easy access? How will you know, quantitatively, when you've met your goal?

Had the veteran been white liberals would be crucifying him
i wish the guy could have saved this 41yo wife in Idaho. she was gunned down by her husband on Friday...

photo

An anecdote is support for your side of the question, but not for the opposition? That hardly seems rational.
You seem to be missing the point. We don’t control guns much, so have more gun deaths. Other societies do control guns. Fewer gun deaths. We control use of cars and drugs without outlawing either. We live in absurdist times on this topic, where groups like the NRA oppose regulations that they used to support. Idiots in Florida passed a law prohibiting doctors from discussing gun safety with their patients. French eat snails. Some Africans eat (or used to eat according to my friend) live monkey brains. Americans eat guns. Go figure.

Define "easy availability", and how you would fix it.

What would want to do if your "fixes" didn't fix the easy access? How will you know, quantitatively, when you've met your goal?
Require guns with safety locks or safe home storage. I don’t know how such stats are kept, but presumably seat belt mandates and safety caps on drugs have some discoverable effect, so one could try similar methods if such there be.

You seem to be missing the point. We don’t control guns much, so have more gun deaths. Other societies do control guns. Fewer gun deaths. We control use of cars and drugs without outlawing either. We live in absurdist times on this topic, where groups like the NRA oppose regulations that they used to support. Idiots in Florida passed a law prohibiting doctors from discussing gun safety with their patients. French eat snails. Some Africans eat (or used to eat according to my friend) live monkey brains. Americans eat guns. Go figure.

Yes, we control use of cars, drugs...and guns.

I'm familiar with the gun control narrative. I was just wondering how anecdotes are considered something to marginalize and deride on one side, while being considered good support on the other.

You seem to be missing the point. We don’t control guns much, so have more gun deaths. Other societies do control guns. Fewer gun deaths.
So you want to repeal the Second and Fourth Amendments, overturn at least five SCOTUS decisions, restrict gun ownership to a fraction of current lawful owners and confiscate about 350 million firearms.

We control use of cars and drugs without outlawing either.

None of the countries you just compared the US to regulate cars any differently than we do, other than a higher minimum age to drive.

How is that regulation of heroin, cocaine and meth working out?

that's a complete lie. Guns are highly regulated in the USA. Other societies are not relevant here. we have people whose political agenda drives gun control. No one pushes car control or poison control for reasons other than advancing public safety. That is not true with firearms

Yes, we control use of cars, drugs...and guns.

I'm familiar with the gun control narrative. I was just wondering how anecdotes are considered something to marginalize and deride on one side, while being considered good support on the other.
Anecdotes can be used to illustrate a point, not to cinch it, which the title of this thread suggested.

Require guns with safety locks or safe home storage. I don’t know how such stats are kept, but presumably seat belt mandates and safety caps on drugs have some discoverable effect, so one could try similar methods if such there be.
Mandatory storage laws violate Heller.

How would you enforce this law?

Anecdotes can be used to illustrate a point, not to cinch it, which the title of this thread suggested.
Are anecdotes equally vaild for both sides?

What is the actual validity of an anecdote?

Back
Top Bottom