• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man with armed security detail says, "I am opposed to self-defense."

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

However, Macron responded to the story by asserting that the 35-year-old farmer had no right to defend himself or his daughter in such a manner.

“Everyone must be safe, and the public authorities have to ensure it,” Macron told Europe 1.

“But I am opposed to self-defense. It’s very clear and undisputable because otherwise the country becomes the Wild West. And I don’t want a country where weapons proliferate and where we consider that it’s up to the citizens to defend themselves,” said Macron.

Sadly, many people would agree with him.

Well that's it. I won't vote for Macron in 2024.

_______

At any rate, I have to wonder about mistranslation. From the context, it sounds like he's saying he doesn't want to see France became loaded to the gills with guns because of all the collateral not-at-all-self-defense uses people get up to in countries like America; and not that he is a pure pacifist and thinks it is wrong to offer any physical resistance to a violent attack.

Either way, it's a stupid pot-stirring thread and no more. A french president's opinions have nothing to do with gun control in America.

This is why "we can't be more like Europe".(y)

No castle doctrine, no stand your ground laws.

Big differences between trained professionals protecting important people and every untrained schmuck running around armed and shooting people when they get angry because they are giant ******s. Nobody wants to kidnap, kill regular joes, but hey do politicians and famous people

Elites enjoying the protections for themselves and their family they wish to tell everyone else they don’t need isn’t even news worthy anymore. To be fair Macron isn’t saying he has a right to defend himese and others don’t. He is simply saying if you want to be protected you just need to hire people to protect you not try and protect yourself like he does. If you can’t afford protection then you are a peasant and not worth protecting anyway.

Big differences between trained professionals protecting important people and every untrained schmuck running around armed and shooting people when they get angry because they are giant ******s. Nobody wants to kidnap, kill regular joes, but hey do politicians and famous people
Interesting claim, in that most of the homicide victims every year are "regular joes", not celebrities.

Well I am glad I don't live in France.

It's OK if you are wealthy enough to hire bodyguards to do your shooting but defending yourself us wrong.

Interesting claim, in that most of the homicide victims every year are "regular joes", not celebrities.

The included contrast between "important people" and "regular joes" is interesting too.

Whatever happened to the good ol' liberal notion of equality?

From the article.

With the first round of the French election just days away and polls tightening in the race between Macron and his likely final round challenger Marine Le Pen, the comments will do his chances little good.

This is not about creating laws and policies for a country. this is about a desperate grab for power, and the things people will say to get it.

Many folks have the ridiculous belief that guns equate to self defense when the educated know its very much the opposite.
Put Macron among the educated.

Many folks have the ridiculous belief that guns equate to self defense when the educated know its very much the opposite.

Opinions vary!

Tell me that after you stand by helplessly while your daughter is raped and killed.

Can you make a list for us?

That's a interesting take your choice to live or die. "However, Macron responded to the story by asserting that the 35-year-old farmer had no right to defend himself or his daughter in such a manner." “Everyone must be safe, and the public authorities have to ensure it,” Macron told Europe 1. Everyone must be "safe" I guess that includes the four burglars who broke into this farmers house, as the saying goes, when seconds count, the police are minutes away, or maybe in this case an hour away. I'm sure this farmer knew that these four burglars were just there to steal his belongings and would not do him or his daughter any harm, after all they were just burglars.
“But I am opposed to self-defense. It’s very clear and undisputable because otherwise the country becomes the Wild West. And I don’t want a country where weapons proliferate and where we consider that it’s up to the citizens to defend themselves,” said Macron. Here's a news flash for you, Macron, France is already the Wild West when it comes to gangs, and if your police force can not subdue this activity then it fall upon the people to protect themselves.

Elites enjoying the protections for themselves and their family they wish to tell everyone else they don’t need isn’t even news worthy anymore. To be fair Macron isn’t saying he has a right to defend himese and others don’t. He is simply saying if you want to be protected you just need to hire people to protect you not try and protect yourself like he does. If you can’t afford protection then you are a peasant and not worth protecting anyway.
You're judging by american standards there. Macron is trying for the law and order platform by pushing for more police and more money for police. He is running for election. Tell me you have never heard a politicians say something dumb during an election period?

The included contrast between "important people" and "regular joes" is interesting too.

Whatever happened to the good ol' liberal notion of equality?
I guess the French national motto is now just "Liberty, [cough], Fraternity".

Click bait for the small minded. Tabloid articles make them feel worldly.

"I know all about them there France!"

Idiots.

Doesn't he have people around him who are paid to carry guns for self defense? That's not education, that's hypocrisy.

_______

At any rate, I have to wonder about mistranslation. From the context, it sounds like he's saying he doesn't want to see France became loaded to the gills with guns because of all the collateral not-at-all-self-defense uses people get up to in countries like America; and not that he is a pure pacifist and thinks it is wrong to offer any physical resistance to a violent attack.

Either way, it's a stupid pot-stirring thread and no more. A french president's opinions have nothing to do with gun control in America.
I wish like hell you'd try.

Doesn't he have people around him who are paid to carry guns for self defense? That's not education, that's hypocrisy.
hypocrisy?

Lol

God bless you.

trolling post that I almost guarantee you won't come back and defend. what famous people have been murdered lately?

_______

How is that mistranslated when he would sooner see people roll over and play dead and sometimes being so.
A Frenchman's opinion that serves as a cautionary tale.

Back
Top Bottom