• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who smoked legal weed in Nevada now faces years in prison in Dubai, lawyer says

Peter Clark, 51, traveled to Dubai for a business trip on Feb. 24 but was hospitalized for pancreatitis.... The hospital took a urine test, found traces of marijuana and reported it to the police, who charged Peter and took him to the Al Barsha police station on March 3...

Recreational marijuana is legal in Nevada, but consumption or possession of the drug is illegal in the UAE, even if presented with a doctor’s medical card, according to the U.S. State Department.

People can still be charged and convicted in the UAE even if substances were taken outside the country, “as long as traces are still present in the bloodstream upon arrival in the UAE.”

------------------------------

I agree with the obligation to follow local laws when traveling, but this is pure horseshit. Are they going to charge him with having premarital sex at home in Nevada too?

To the UAE: Screw you and let this American citizen free NOW.

It's almost as if the entire kingdom wants to have the biggest fattest negative Yelp review in history, except Yelp reviews don't apply to entire countries.

But if they did... popcorn muppet.gif

Here's where President Biden could have some fun. This type of crazy-ass crap calls for extreme measures. I'd scare the God-damn sh!t out of the whole UAE area.
Have a few squadron of F-15s buzz the hell out of them day in and day out with a note from the President "The next step Mother-Facker, will be way worse"
But that would negate Trumps stunning diplomatic achievement, brokering peace between the UAE and Israel.

Damn. I nearly got that out with a straight face!

The UAE is a shit show, there's no reason to go there.
Business is always a reason.

Just be knowledgeable of EVERYthing that can get you into trouble there and you'll be all right.

FWIW, I found the Emirates to be absolutely refreshing after any amount of time in the shithole of Saudi, but that, like everything, is relative.

But knowing my last visit to really BE my last, I sure enjoyed the drink on the outward "Emirates" flight, not to mention a couple of re-fills.

Pretty much like all the Muslims aboard.

Not recommended on the inbound, though.

The UAE is socially backward compared to the west.

Here they imprisoned a woman for reporting a rape.

Don't let the skyscrapers and lamborghini police cars fool you they are still under Islamic dictate.

Barbarism.

Agreed. My former brother in law got killed driving a truck there

Sorry to hear that.

I have a friend who is career AF who is currently there. The only good news is he's one of those guys that have no bad habits.

Sorry to hear that.

I have a friend who is career AF who is currently there. The only good news is he's one of those guys that have no bad habits.
That's a prudent policy, wherever one goes in the world.;)

Peter Clark, 51, traveled to Dubai for a business trip on Feb. 24 but was hospitalized for pancreatitis.... The hospital took a urine test, found traces of marijuana and reported it to the police, who charged Peter and took him to the Al Barsha police station on March 3...

Recreational marijuana is legal in Nevada, but consumption or possession of the drug is illegal in the UAE, even if presented with a doctor’s medical card, according to the U.S. State Department.

People can still be charged and convicted in the UAE even if substances were taken outside the country, “as long as traces are still present in the bloodstream upon arrival in the UAE.”

------------------------------

I agree with the obligation to follow local laws when traveling, but this is pure horseshit. Are they going to charge him with having premarital sex at home in Nevada too?

To the UAE: Screw you and let this American citizen free NOW.
He shouldn't been smokin' da pot and then headin' for Dubai. WOW, dude. Bummer....

Back
Top Bottom