• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who kept young vandals locked up waiting for cops faces charges

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]NY man who says 4 kids vandalized home is charged[/h]
CLYDE, N.Y. (AP) — A man who says he caught four boys vandalizing his father-in-law's home has been charged with child endangerment after corralling them in a closet until police arrived.

Jesse Daniels was arraigned on four counts of endangering the welfare of a child after authorities say he interrupted the vandalism at the empty home in the Wayne County village of Clyde, midway between Rochester and Syracuse.

Paul Bowler, the father of two of the boys, told the station that there are no excuses for his sons' actions.

"I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it," he said. "He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Probably I won't make any friends saying this but I support the homeowner, not this vicious little kids. As long as he didn't injure them, he was right to frighten and detain them. They might grow up to be better people from this.

I remember child gangs when I lived in NYC in the 50s. They were little kids but they traveled in packs and they had no sense of morality. They would happily shoot or stab you and were never prosecuted. I don't believe in trying kids as adults but they don't need the kid-glove treatment either.

I dunno.....I think the kids were just exercising their right to self expression and that the guy who locked them in the closet was trying to stymie their creativity. We all must remember that one person's "vandalism" is another person's "art". Besides, we all know that the guy could never have put "his" time and resources into the house without the help of the community so, when you get right down to it, it's the neighborhoods house and not the guy's house. These ideas of personal property and responsibility are totally antiquated and need to go away. It may seem a little harsh but the only way to destroy out of control individualism is to crush the individual under the will of the community through the power of the state.

/s *just because a handful of idiots will think this is serious.

I dunno.....I think the kids were just exercising their right to self expression and that the guy who locked them in the closet was trying to stymie their creativity. We all must remember that one person's "vandalism" is another person's "art". Besides, we all know that the guy could never have put "his" time and resources into the house without the help of the community so, when you get right down to it, it's the neighborhoods house and not the guy's house. These ideas of personal property and responsibility are totally antiquated and need to go away. It may seem a little harsh but the only way to destroy out of control individualism is to crush the individual under the will of the community through the power of the state.

/s *just because a handful of idiots will think this is serious.

Yep, you always run that risk. ;)

[but I'll copy it so they'll get the message]

I applaud the homeowner as I applaud this teacher.

Former Judson kindergarten teacher convicted of official oppression | kens5.com San Antonio

She wanted to teach a bully a lesson so she either allowed or encouraged the other kids to hit him? I'm not so sure I can get on board with that. There are definitely better ways to handle such a situation.

The 'bully' was brought to her by a younger 'exasperated' teacher who had run out of options. I'm not real sure she should of handled it exactly the way she did but, there's a bigger conundrum here... Being able to discipline at all.

In a world without consequences comes chaos.

The 'bully' was brought to her by a younger 'exasperated' teacher who had run out of options. I'm not real sure she should of handled it exactly the way she did but, there's a bigger conundrum here... Being able to discipline at all.

In a world without consequences comes chaos.

Ah....I see. Well, from a personal standpoint I do believe that the old "Board of Education" had a very worthwhile place in the education system. That kind of discipline, however, was meted out in private.

Ah....I see. Well, from a personal standpoint I do believe that the old "Board of Education" had a very worthwhile place in the education system. That kind of discipline, however, was meted out in private.

Not at my schools... Right in front of the entire class. If you were caught in a jock strap after working out...all the worse.

I use to tell these stories to my kids and oddly enough, never had to spank them. ;) Yes the good ol' days

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because these kids' hands weren't clean does not give this man license to illegally lock them in a closet. We do not require that crime victims have clean hands. Both the kids and this man ought to face the consequences of their actions.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because these kids' hands weren't clean does not give this man license to illegally lock them in a closet. We do not require that crime victims have clean hands. Both the kids and this man ought to face the consequences of their actions.

What did the man do with which you disagree after catching vandals?

Paul Bowler, the father of two of the boys, told the station that there are no excuses for his sons' actions.

"I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it," he said. "He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."
I would be interested in hearing his thoughts as to exactly what would a better way to handle it.

Not at my schools... Right in front of the entire class. If you were caught in a jock strap after working out...all the worse.

I use to tell these stories to my kids and oddly enough, never had to spank them. ;) Yes the good ol' days

we used to let kids put on boxing gloves and go at it, but that was 45 years ago. Today, doing so would make national headlines, no doubt. I remember a kid that bloodied the nose of a bully. Made my day.

Most of the time, they were so tired after a couple of minutes that they could hardly raise their arms with those 16 ounce boxing gloves on.

I would be interested in hearing his thoughts as to exactly what would a better way to handle it.

No doubt anything that would coddle his little darlings and give them another chance.

Back
Top Bottom