• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who brought Molotov cocktails near Capitol on January 6 sentenced to nearly 4 years

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

"Lonnie Coffman, 72, parked his truck -- filled with 11 Mason jars filled with gasoline and Styrofoam, several unregistered firearms, hundreds of rounds of ammo, a stun gun, machetes and a crossbow with bolts -- a few blocks from the Capitol on January 6.

"He had almost a small armory in his truck, ready to do battle," Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said before sentencing Coffman to several months above what prosecutors had recommended."

Here he is (black jacket/extreme right)...

Lonnie Coffman, sentenced to prison for guns, Molotov cocktails at Jan. 6  riot, tells judge he should 'have stayed home' - al.com

Seems fair. Three years probation for the dumb****s (to keep them out of any electoral shenanigans) who were carried along as unwitting cover but did nothing, while screwing the insurrectionists who did bad things behind the scenes with hard time.

"Lonnie Coffman, 72, parked his truck -- filled with 11 Mason jars filled with gasoline and Styrofoam, several unregistered firearms, hundreds of rounds of ammo, a stun gun, machetes and a crossbow with bolts -- a few blocks from the Capitol on January 6.

"He had almost a small armory in his truck, ready to do battle," Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said before sentencing Coffman to several months above what prosecutors had recommended."

Lonnie Coffman, sentenced to prison for guns, Molotov cocktails at Jan. 6  riot, tells judge he should 'have stayed home' - al.com'have stayed home' - al.com
other than NFA firearms, there is no national registration. Having Molotov cocktails is a federal offense though

People have gotten larger sentences for weed.
that depends on the jurisdiction, criminal history, level of cooperation, etc. BTW I don't think merely having weed should ever result in a criminal charge.

Lonnie Coffman, sentenced to prison for guns, Molotov cocktails at Jan. 6  riot, tells judge he should 'have stayed home' - al.com'have stayed home' - al.com
"Let's have trial by combat!" --- >Rudy G. at the 1/6/2021 pre-insurrection incite rally. --- "It will be wild!"<--- Former POTUS DJT ---

But, but.. there were NO WEAPONS!!!! <sarcasm>

none brought to bear at the riot. now I have no illusions that someone with molotov cocktails is anything other than a mope

True dat ;)

"In America, we have this thought that everything is focused on a gun, on a firearm," Boyd said. "And we miss the fact that so many other people are killed with so many other weapons."

In the wake of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, a popular narrative has emerged: that because rioters did not fire guns that day, they were not really "armed."

But a review of the federal charges against the alleged rioters shows that they did come armed, and with a variety of weapons: stun guns, pepper spray, baseball bats and flagpoles wielded as clubs. An additional suspect also allegedly planted pipe bombs by the headquarters of the Democratic and Republican parties the night before the riot and remains at large.

I was also told no weapons where discovered either..which now flipped to one lone man excuse
A number of people present that day have been charged over weapons so apparently that excuse won't fly either. Don't worry, they'll find another...

A number of people present that day have been charged over weapons so apparently that excuse won't fly either. Don't worry, they'll find another...
Lone man excuse

True dat ;)

"In America, we have this thought that everything is focused on a gun, on a firearm," Boyd said. "And we miss the fact that so many other people are killed with so many other weapons."

In the wake of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, a popular narrative has emerged: that because rioters did not fire guns that day, they were not really "armed."

But a review of the federal charges against the alleged rioters shows that they did come armed, and with a variety of weapons: stun guns, pepper spray, baseball bats and flagpoles wielded as clubs. An additional suspect also allegedly planted pipe bombs by the headquarters of the Democratic and Republican parties the night before the riot and remains at large.

I know all this. The denial of these facts is strong in the trump cult.

72 yrs old and put Trump and his selfish old ass ahead of his kids and grandkids.

I hope he gets roughed up in prison. Piece of shit.

The sentence should be 20 years, so he can die alone in prison.

72 yrs old and put Trump and his selfish old ass ahead of his kids and grandkids.
I hope he gets roughed up in prison. Piece of shit.
The sentence should be 20 years, so he can die alone in prison.
Great defense... But I was just trying to support my president! I had no idea I was doing anything wrong by driving a truck full of Molotov cocktails and guns to Washington and pulling it up next to the Capitol!

1648965113304.png
Evidence photo in the case of Lonnie Coffman, an Alabama man who packed the bed of his red pickup with gasoline-filled Mason jars near the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

Yet, they ignore those that attacked the White House and brought violence and destruction to cities all over America in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom