• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man sues Bank of America for $1,784 billion trillion

Lita456

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Septillion?? Holy crap!!!!

America has its share of ambitious people. But it is almost guaranteed that none in its lengthy history have filed a lawsuit against a bank for more money than Dalton Chiscolm. If my math is correct, Chiscolm is suing Bank of America (BAC) for over $1.78 septillion -- a septillion is 1 with 24 zeros after it. If Bank of America agreed to pay what its customer is asking, it would wipe out the bank's $196 billion in common equity 9.1 trillion times over.

According to Reuters, Chiscolm was unhappy because Bank of America would not deposit some of his checks due to problems with their routing numbers. And his efforts to solve the problem with the help of a "Spanish womn" were unsatisfactory. Chiscolm's lawsuit requests damages for his suffering, specifically, he asks that "1,784 billion, trillion dollars" be deposited into his ATM account the next day. He also demanded an additional $200,164,000."

Although Chiscolm's request sounds reasonable to me, I am not a judge. The judge in his case, U.S. District Judge Denny Chin, described his complaint as "incomprehensible." What's so hard to understand about the request? Chiscolm is angry with Bank of America and wants it to pay him about 30 billion times the world's total GDP of $60 trillion.

Maybe it's time for the U.S. government to step in and bail out Bank of America so it can pay him -- after the $45 billion it's received so far, what's an extra septillion?

Update. This is not his first lawsuit. In Janaury 2009, Chiscolm sued his landlord for $892 million billion dollars -- or $892 quadrillion. In his January complaint, Chiscolm alleged that "Manerment nor mainterntmen had no atcuse's to go in my apartment what so ever I had to keep a lock no the kichen cabernit." The court dismissed his complaint.

Man sues Bank of America for $1,784 billion trillion -- DailyFinance

I do think that a class action suit against B of A for their check policies is not out of order. They do some hanky pankying with bounced checks, I've seen this year, in order to increase their fees exponentially.

Hmmm, I don't use BOA....isn't there just a standard fee for bounced checks?

it's not that the fee is standard, it's that they will show checks as having been cleared, then if a large check doesn't clear, they will bounce the smaller checks and clear the large one.

So, I had a situation recently where a check I'd written several months ago (and totally forgotten about) was sent through the bank at a time where my balance was low. Several checks showed as cleared through at 8 a.m. that day, and then when the other check arrived, they reversed about 5 small amounts, and cleared through the $200.

That resulted in a bounce fee, for me, of $175 for the five insufficient funds items, versus one fee for $35. I got paid the next day, so it was just bad timing, but anyway.

it's not that the fee is standard, it's that they will show checks as having been cleared, then if a large check doesn't clear, they will bounce the smaller checks and clear the large one.

So, I had a situation recently where a check I'd written several months ago (and totally forgotten about) was sent through the bank at a time where my balance was low. Several checks showed as cleared through at 8 a.m. that day, and then when the other check arrived, they reversed about 5 small amounts, and cleared through the $200.

That resulted in a bounce fee, for me, of $175 for the five insufficient funds items, versus one fee for $35. I got paid the next day, so it was just bad timing, but anyway.

Did you dispute this with them? Most of the time they'll reduce or drop most of the charges...

Unless of course they catch you on the same problem again within a certain period of time, and at any rate they only drop fees at their own discretion.

Additionally, they take out any debits that happen on a particular day before they put in the deposits. So, if you have a dollar in your account, and you deposit $1000 just prior to running out and spending that $1000 via your card, they'll process the debits first and thus hit you a bunch of overdraft charges.

In summation, they use bookkeeping tricks to maximize the number of fees that they can technically charge you, and that's wrong.

Personally, I've always found that local credit unions are some of the most pleasant places to do banking. Big branch competition makes them go out of their way to earn your business and keep you happy.

Personally, I've always found that local credit unions are some of the most pleasant places to do banking. Big branch competition makes them go out of their way to earn your business and keep you happy.

I agree, Credit Unions are alot better.

BOA is on my "never use again" list. I had a credit card with another bank that I had had for years with a 7.9% interest rate. I had a perfect record never late and never over. BOA bought out the bank that I had my CC with and immediately raised my interest rate to a whopping 26.9%. After raising alot of hell with them they eventually lowered it to 16.9%. I quickly payed off the balance and closed off my account. Screw BOA!

Back
Top Bottom