• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Man Slaughter vs Murder 2 sentencing

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've noticed that a lot of experts have been saying that the sentencing for man slaughter is pretty much the same as murder 2. What I haven't heard was the reasoning that the sentencing is the same. There are two different definitions for both yet both are treated the same? Murder 2 is defined in such a way as to make one believe that it is more serious than man slaughter. So why would one carry just as much punishment as the other?

I've noticed that a lot of experts have been saying that the sentencing for man slaughter is pretty much the same as murder 2. What I haven't heard was the reasoning that the sentencing is the same. There are two different definitions for both yet both are treated the same? Murder 2 is defined in such a way as to make one believe that it is more serious than man slaughter. So why would one carry just as much punishment as the other?

I think it has to do with a gun being involved...

I may be wrong and at this point I'm too lazy to go search it up. I think though, the firearm modifier makes it possible for the Judge to give virtually the same sentence.

Mansalughter becomes aggravated manslaughter by the use of a gun and/or if the victim is a minor.

Florida Laws: FL Statutes - Title XLVI Crimes Section 782.02 Justifiable use of deadly force. - Florida Attorney Resources - Florida Laws

Ok....now I wonder if that law applies to any other object that is used to kill someone. Somehow I doubt it.

Now I'm getting the feeling that this thread should have been in the gun fora.

The 10-20-Life law (Florida Statute 775.087) is a mandatory minimum sentencing law in the U.S. state of Florida. It primarily regards the use of a firearm during the commission of a forcible felony.[1] The law's name comes from a set of three basic minimum sentences it provides for. An ongoing public service announcement campaign has accompanied the law since its passage under the slogan, "Use a gun, and you're done."[2][3][4]...

The law's name comes from three main mandatory sentences: 1) producing a firearm during the commission of certain felonies mandates at least a 10-year prison sentence; 2) firing one mandates at least a 20-year prison sentence; and 3) shooting someone mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years to life regardless of whether a victim is killed or simply injured.

10-20-Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida has great Castle Doctrine, SYG and carry law, and very heavy penalties for using a gun illegally.

Last edited:
With the jury asking for clarification from the Court on Manslaughter, Murder is probably off the table (not that it was ever realistically on the table).

With the jury asking for clarification from the Court on Manslaughter, Murder is probably off the table (not that it was ever realistically on the table).

It also may mean that self defense is off the table too. If so, GZ is done.

It also may mean that self defense is off the table too. If so, GZ is done.

Yeah, I sort of get the same vibe. But then again, they could always do the NG thing if they do not think he reaches the manslaughter threshold. I

I really would have a hard time even considering self-defense if he refused to testify and address those gaps in his stories that were raised if I were on the jury.

Verdict is in per CNN

Back
Top Bottom