• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man shot to death by L.A. County deputy was not a carjacking suspect, officials say

GhostlyJoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Re: Man shot to death by L.A. County deputy was not a carjacking suspect, officials s

Why on earth would anyone charge toward police officers? You KNOW they will take you down.

Sheriff’s officials said Thompson was unarmed but did not follow deputies’ orders when they found him and may have reached for his waistband as he ran toward an armored vehicle. Deputies used less-lethal weapons as they tried to subdue him, but Thompson was shot when he charged toward them, officials said.

Re: Man shot to death by L.A. County deputy was not a carjacking suspect, officials s

Man shot to death by L.A. County deputy was not a carjacking suspect, officials say

Obey or die. This needs to stop.

No one will be jailed over this. But protocols have to change. No more justifying deadly force based on the flawed perceptions of officers. These incidents give good cops a bad name and make ethical police work more difficult.

If he really did charge at the officers, then what the **** did he expect was going to happen?

Obey or die. This needs to stop.

No one will be jailed over this. But protocols have to change. No more justifying deadly force based on the flawed perceptions of officers. These incidents give good cops a bad name and make ethical police work more difficult.

What protocols need to be changed that would've changed what happened here?

Why on earth would anyone charge toward police officers? You KNOW they will take you down.

We'll never know why he ran, because he's dead now. He was an unarmed, mentally handicapped man lying on a lawn. The police were inside an armored vehicle and had fired non-lethal projectiles at him. No doubt, he was running blindly, terrified for his life. That tends to happen when a military force descends on you without provocation. The inescapable fact is, this guy presented no credible threat to the police.

Like I said in the OP, protocols have to change — and soon. "Shoot first, ask questions later" doesn't cut it.

We'll never know why he ran, because he's dead now. He was an unarmed, mentally handicapped man lying on a lawn. The police were inside an armored vehicle and had fired non-lethal projectiles at him. No doubt, he was running blindly, terrified for his life. That tends to happen when a military force descends on you without provocation. The inescapable fact is, this guy presented no credible threat to the police.

Like I said in the OP, protocols have to change — and soon. "Shoot first, ask questions later" doesn't cut it.

How do THEY know he's no threat?

What protocols need to be changed that would've changed what happened here?

First, we change the standard for culpability. Justification for shootings should be based on the factual evidence in a case and not on the perceptions or mental state of the officer. Police should have to justify every bullet they fire based on an ACUTAL and not just perceived threat.

We need clear-cut guidelines on the deployment of armored vehicles and SWAT-style forces.

We need greater training emphasizing deescalation and empathy and not just officer safety.

And we need accountability when the wrong man gets gunned down.

First, we change the standard for culpability. Justification for shootings should be based on the factual evidence in a case and not on the perceptions or mental state of the officer. Police should have to justify every bullet they fire based on an ACUTAL and not just perceived threat.

Charging at police officers IS an actual threat.

We need clear-cut guidelines on the deployment of armored vehicles and SWAT-style forces.

Like what?

We need greater training emphasizing deescalation and empathy and not just officer safety.

De-escalation, for sure. Empathy?

What accountability do you want?

How do THEY know he's no threat?

Well, for one, they are sitting inside a tank with full body armor and military-grade weaponry, and he was a guy with no weapons at all.

The police showed up with a friggin tank to a report of a guy lying on the wrong lawn and started pelting him with non-lethal bullets. Their actions provoked this incident.

Had they just calmly walked up and spoken to him, no one would have been harmed. Had they let him go, no one would have been harmed. Had they let him pound his fists on the side of the tank, no one would have been harmed.

Do you really believe they had to shoot him? Because THAT should be the standard: "I had no other choice." Anything less than that is unacceptable in a free society.

Well, for one, they are sitting inside a tank with full body armor and military-grade weaponry, and he was a guy with no weapons at all.

The police showed up with a friggin tank to a report of a guy lying on the wrong lawn and started pelting him with non-lethal bullets. Their actions provoked this incident.

Had they just calmly walked up and spoken to him, no one would have been harmed. Had they let him go, no one would have been harmed. Had they let him pound his fists on the side of the tank, no one would have been harmed.

Do you really believe they had to shoot him? Because THAT should be the standard: "I had no other choice." Anything less than that is unacceptable in a free society.

So they knew he had no weapons? If they were in an armored vehicle, I see no reason to shoot.

It has to be perceived threat, since demanding an actual threat puts officers into the position of having to allow a potential threat to continue just because they aren't 100% sure that the gun the perp. is waving around isn't a realistic toy.

"Why didn't you shoot that guy who pointing his gun at my daughter and threatening to shoot her?"
"Because I wasn't 100% sure that the gun was real, that it was loaded and that he was serious about his threat."

It has to be perceived threat, since demanding an actual threat puts officers into the position of having to allow a potential threat to continue just because they aren't 100% sure that the gun the perp. is waving around isn't a realistic toy.

"Why didn't you shoot that guy who pointing his gun at my daughter and threatening to shoot her?"
"Because I wasn't 100% sure that the gun was real, that it was loaded and that he was serious about his threat."

Except the police officer wouldn't have a chance to explain why he didn't shoot because he's probably be dead.

Charging at police officers IS an actual threat.

Like what?

De-escalation, for sure. Empathy?

What accountability do you want?

An unarmed man is not a threat to a tank.

As for accountability, if you shoot an unarmed man based on mistaken identity, your career is over. Go become a carpenter.

This case doesn't seem to rise to the level of criminality, but if I were this guy's family member, I would want justice.

I agree - I think that in today's society, it should be easier to determine if someone has a gun with them or not. And if not, even if they lunge at you, why not use a taser or something less deadly. I know that some of the cases are reported as wrong and like in the one the man was proven to actually be trying to grab the police officers weapon. But in others, there does seem like a use gun first ask questions later is the mentality. But I also agree that we don't know. When someone is told to put their hands in the air in a car with limited vision and the officer can see or knows the suspect has a gun and the suspect doesn't obey, they he is taking his life into his own hands.

So they knew he had no weapons? If they were in an armored vehicle, I see no reason to shoot.

Anyone can have a weapon. Having a weapon is legal. Let's not create a standard where police are allowed to shoot anyone at any time because they MIGHT be armed.

Except the police officer wouldn't have a chance to explain why he didn't shoot because he's probably be dead.

After he shoots your daughter, then he knows that the threat is real and then he can shoot the perp. :(

Responding with force to someone pointing a weapon — even a replica — at another who is in distress is much different than "he might have reached toward his waistband."

An unarmed man is not a threat to a tank.

As for accountability, if you shoot an unarmed man based on mistaken identity, your career is over. Go become a carpenter.

This case doesn't seem to rise to the level of criminality, but if I were this guy's family member, I would want justice.

Again --- put yourself in the police officers' position and not thinking in hindsight ---- how do you know someone ISN'T armed?

After he shoots your daughter, then he knows that the threat is real and then he can shoot the perp. :(

Well in this case, a man with no criminal record is dead. That OK because someone's hypothetical daughter could be shot in an imagined scenario. What should be done about this very real use of deadly force on an innocent?

Anyone can have a weapon. Having a weapon is legal. Let's not create a standard where police are allowed to shoot anyone at any time because they MIGHT be armed.

That's not a reason to shoot ---- there has to be a threat. Charging at a police officer is a threat, no? i.e. Michael Brown

Again --- put yourself in the police officers' position and not thinking in hindsight ---- how do you know someone ISN'T armed?

Hindsight is what investigation is. If we applied the standards you're espousing, you could justify every drive-by shooting in the hood.

Put yourself in the shoes of the unarmed, confused, scared man. Or in the shoes of his grieving family.

That's not a reason to shoot ---- there has to be a threat. Charging at a police officer is a threat, no? i.e. Michael Brown

I've answered all your questions. Answer this. Did the police have to shoot this man in this case?

Responding with force to someone pointing a weapon — even a replica — at another who is in distress is much different than "he might have reached toward his waistband."

So where do you draw the line between threat and potential threat?? Does the officer have to wait until he sees a gun in the perp's hand before he shoots? That's the problem with the idea of "actual threat", you have to define it terms that can be applied in the second between "reaching for his waistband" and "pulling out his gun".

Well in this case, a man with no criminal record is dead. That OK because someone's hypothetical daughter could be shot in an imagined scenario. What should be done about this very real use of deadly force on an innocent?

Without having ALL the facts, it's hard to decide. That's the other part of the problem you're facing - you're making a decision about whether the shooting should have occurred without ALL of the facts. I don't have them, so I'm not qualified to determine what should happen. The fact that he has no criminal record is irrelevant and until conviction, everyone is innocent, so that's irrelevant as well.

So where do you draw the line between threat and potential threat?? Does the officer have to wait until he sees a gun in the perp's hand before he shoots? That's the problem with the idea of "actual threat", you have to define it terms that can be applied in the second between "reaching for his waistband" and "pulling out his gun".

And yet, this man had no gun, and the police were in a tank. He didn't have to die. So, what about justice for him and his family? Should the officers face punishment of any kind for killing an innocent man?

Back
Top Bottom