• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man shot in the arm after attacking ex-girlfriend, 2-year-old child, police say

Guns don’t keep citizens safe. 2A is an anachronism that should be abolished.

I don’t care how many times ya’ll watch Die Hard. If any **** goes down, most of you will either crap your pants or just fail to respond in a manner that actually changes the equation because owning a gun, training with a gun has nothing to do with law enforcement. Zeroooooooo.

1. I'm sixty-three years old so "Die Hard" doesn't impress me the way it might impress kids in their twenties and thirties.
Not saying that's what you are but if you're a fan of Siouxsie, and you're not in your thirties or forties, then you know who Suzanne Gardner is, yes?

2. My old company provided the stage and lighting for Willis' "The Return of Bruno" movie (The Woodstock dream sequence) and that is when I learned that Bruce Willis' biggest problem is "he thinks he's Bruce Willis"...he's a major asshole and as much as I enjoyed his acting in some non Die Hard films, I still despise him so I wouldn't be caught dead thinking of him in a situation where I am thinking of pulling out a firearm.

3. I've owned some kind of firearm since 1974. I was a lefty back then just as I am today, although I probably broadened my views a bit and try to be more inclusive than I was as a youngster.

4. I spent over a quarter century doing, among other things, freelance news.
I covered the 1992 LA Riots and prior to that I wound up covering at least one if not two gang related shootings a week.
I know what it's like to be around gunfire and gun play.
If anything, it makes me even LESS inclined to think of Die Hard because once you've been hit by a couple of rounds, it tends to put everything in perspective, especially when it's your camera equipment that took the rounds.

5. I've never romanticized firearms. They're a tool. I also lived up in Northern Minnesota, which by the way is a lot of wilderness dotted with a few small towns and a lot of lakes. Wild critters inhabit that region and without a firearm you run the risk of becoming a meal.

6. Lastly, the 2A will never be abolished here, and even if by some happenstance it was, you will never ever get rid of four hundred million privately owned firearms. It is not only mathematically impossible, it is fiscally and logistically impossible.
It's like The War on Drugs or The Volstead Act.
There are good reasons WHY The Volstead Act was repealed, and equally good reasons why our forty year trillion dollar misadventure known as The War on Drugs is winding down.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

1. I'm sixty-three years old so "Die Hard" doesn't impress me the way it might impress kids in their twenties and thirties.
Not saying that's what you are but if you're a fan of Siouxsie, and you're not in your thirties or forties, then you know who Suzanne Gardner is, yes?

2. My old company provided the stage and lighting for Willis' "The Return of Bruno" movie (The Woodstock dream sequence) and that is when I learned that Bruce Willis' biggest problem is "he thinks he's Bruce Willis"...he's a major asshole and as much as I enjoyed his acting in some non Die Hard films, I still despise him so I wouldn't be caught dead thinking of him in a situation where I am thinking of pulling out a firearm.

3. I've owned some kind of firearm since 1974. I was a lefty back then just as I am today, although I probably broadened my views a bit and try to be more inclusive than I was as a youngster.

4. I spent over a quarter century doing, among other things, freelance news.
I covered the 1992 LA Riots and prior to that I wound up covering at least one if not two gang related shootings a week.
I know what it's like to be around gunfire and gun play.
If anything, it makes me even LESS inclined to think of Die Hard because once you've been hit by a couple of rounds, it tends to put everything in perspective, especially when it's your camera equipment that took the rounds.

5. I've never romanticized firearms. They're a tool. I also lived up in Northern Minnesota, which by the way is a lot of wilderness dotted with a few small towns and a lot of lakes. Wild critters inhabit that region and without a firearm you run the risk of becoming a meal.

6. Lastly, the 2A will never be abolished here, and even if by some happenstance it was, you will never ever get rid of four hundred million privately owned firearms. It is not only mathematically impossible, it is fiscally and logistically impossible.
It's like The War on Drugs or The Volstead Act.
There are good reasons WHY The Volstead Act was repealed, and equally good reasons why our forty year trillion dollar misadventure known as The War on Drugs is winding down.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Right. Like allowing unfettered access to guns as a means to keep people safe from bad guys with guns.

PS: All gun owner arguments end where yours does: "We will murder you all if it's a choice between guns and anything else."

Yup. Got the message. Loud and clear. Our kids have been getting the message massively for a while now.

Right. Like allowing unfettered access to guns as a means to keep people safe from bad guys with guns.

PS: All gun owner arguments end where yours does: "We will murder you all if it's a choice between guns and anything else."

Yup. Got the message. Loud and clear. Our kids have been getting the message massively for a while now.

Sounds like you have a lot of issues to work through....the 2A is here to stay, and I know it must cause you some serious angst given that its not going anywhere, but I can offer you these words of comfort:

Dont buy a gun.

Thats a great idea. Everyone should be armed and know and be practiced their use. They are the first line of defense for themselves. Its the equivalent of having fire alert and suppression systems. Or a first aid kit. Better to be there and not use them and not have them and then need them.

You know, it’s funny you should mention. I am of the belief that 2A is garbage and should be abolished. I know that will never happen. And I’m told hey, even if it did, sooo many guns out there, and they ain’t given em up. So okay. What I would like to do? I would like to start a drive: Black Lives Matter More When Armed. I think as the start of a crowdsourced reparations movement, white folks should pay for arming and licensing of all poc in every state, but especially in open carry states, and especially in red states. There should not be a pair of brown colored hands that do not have a gun in it in this version of America.

Sounds like you have a lot of issues to work through....the 2A is here to stay, and I know it must cause you some serious angst given that its not going anywhere, but I can offer you these words of comfort:

Dont buy a gun.

“Cause we will murder you if you even try.”

Got it. Heard ya. Yup.

Nice...but, no.

Those are your words...not anyone elses.

Those are exactly the words you want taken away from the exchange. I don’t care that you think playing Verbatim Masturbatim gives you some kinda win on the internet.

Gun owners are generally insane when it comes to their guns. Look at how many children they’re willing to sacrifice for their pursuit of happiiness.

“Cause we will murder you if you even try.”

Got it. Heard ya. Yup.

No, that's not what others have said. They said, if you don't like guys, don't own one. Find another way to defend yourself, but know you haven't the authority to demand that others can't self-defend by legally owning a firearm.

Got it? Heard me? Yes?

No, that's not what others have said. They said, if you don't like guys, don't own one. Find another way to defend yourself, but know you haven't the authority to demand that others can't self-defend by legally owning a firearm.

Got it? Heard me? Yes?

I haven’t demanded anything.

And all you did was repeat what they did: we will murder you if you come for our guns.

Those are exactly the words you want taken away from the exchange. I don’t care that you think playing Verbatim Masturbatim gives you some kinda win on the internet.

Gun owners are generally insane when it comes to their guns. Look at how many children they’re willing to sacrifice for their pursuit of happiiness.

Nah...those are all your words.

You thrive on hyperbole, rhetoric, and broad brush approaches...in doing so you blurred the lines between right and left extremism; you are exactly what you hate and condemn.

But keep on driving on; I'll be here next week. :2wave:

Huh? I never said anything even remotely like any of that.
Unfettered? You'd have a devil of a time locating my firearms, the few that I have OR the one I count on being handy in a jiffy if needed.

I just finished saying that I don't romanticize firearms.
I also don't act irresponsibly with them either because I have enormous respect for what they are.
Thus I do not leave them around for "unfettered" anything.

Where on Earth did you infer "We will murder you all if it's a choice between guns and anything else."
???
Can't be in anything I just said.

My conclusion is that you've never met an actual gun owner OR...if you have, they must be the ammosexual kind.
For me, it's like a deadbolt lock or an alarm system, it's a tool.
Guns don't make me more of a man, or make me into some junior enforcer, or build my confidence.
Guns have just been around all along.
I grew up around them, I understand the idea and responsibilities of gun ownership and my role models were positive ones.

You'd never even know I was a gun owner unless I made mention of it and since my mindset is not the ammosexual mindset, it's very unlikely I would ever let that come up because there's no reason to talk about them.
Honestly, I wouldn't dream of attempting to convince you to own a gun or even to approve of gun ownership at all, if you don't like them, you don't like them, simple as that, and I respect that.

But I do own a few guns, three to be exact. Two if you're expecting guns that actually still work okay, because one of them is an old old mistreated hunting rifle that is in need of a lot of TLC if I ever expected to ever go hunting again, which is 98% chance of that being a "NO" because I am just too beat up and decrepit to do it anymore.
The other two are just pistols.

Huh? I never said anything even remotely like any of that.
Unfettered? You'd have a devil of a time locating my firearms, the few that I have OR the one I count on being handy in a jiffy if needed.

I just finished saying that I don't romanticize firearms.
I also don't act irresponsibly with them either because I have enormous respect for what they are.
Thus I do not leave them around for "unfettered" anything.

Where on Earth did you infer "We will murder you all if it's a choice between guns and anything else."
???
Can't be in anything I just said.

My conclusion is that you've never met an actual gun owner OR...if you have, they must be the ammosexual kind.
For me, it's like a deadbolt lock or an alarm system, it's a tool.
Guns don't make me more of a man, or make me into some junior enforcer, or build my confidence.
Guns have just been around all along.
I grew up around them, I understand the idea and responsibilities of gun ownership and my role models were positive ones.

You'd never even know I was a gun owner unless I made mention of it and since my mindset is not the ammosexual mindset, it's very unlikely I would ever let that come up because there's no reason to talk about them.
Honestly, I wouldn't dream of attempting to convince you to own a gun or even to approve of gun ownership at all, if you don't like them, you don't like them, simple as that, and I respect that.

But I do own a few guns, three to be exact. Two if you're expecting guns that actually still work okay, because one of them is an old old mistreated hunting rifle that is in need of a lot of TLC if I ever expected to ever go hunting again, which is 98% chance of that being a "NO" because I am just too beat up and decrepit to do it anymore.
The other two are just pistols.

I do not care about guns per se and I have no need to validate my experience or lackthereof with them. It’s not a criteria for assessing the data that too many human beings are hurt and/or killed by gun violence in this country and it’s only in this country that it’s an epidemic. We do not currently have any real gun laws that work because until there is a federal standard it’s all useless.

Please stop regaling me about how special your guns are and how different your take on them is. I don’t care.

What the actual **** are you talking about?
Now I'm sacrificing my children for my pursuit of happiness?

Sorry but...does not compute.
And speaking as a lefty gun owner, I am not out to "win" anything.
I just know that the idea of the United States doing away with guns is laughable.

I'm also a great big fan of electric automobiles, by the way...but I started out as a traditional muscle car owning motorhead.
I keep predicting that in the next decade electrics will reach and surpass parity with gasoline cars, but that having been said, I also predict that gasoline cars will continue to be around for the next century at the very least and they will never completely go away, no more than vinyl records or vacuum tube amplifiers.

Traditional gasoline powered automobiles may wind up being in the minority position on America's daily commute and grind, and electrics may wind up totally outperforming internal combustion engines in every way, but gasoline cars are just too much fun.
So lots of folks will keep their old gasoline cars and they will enjoy a new role, that of a pleasure craft.

Susan Calvin : [about Spooner's motorcycle] Please tell me this doesn't run on gas! Gas explodes, you know?

1200x0.jpg

Nah...those are all your words.

You thrive on hyperbole, rhetoric, and broad brush approaches...in doing so you blurred the lines between right and left extremism; you are exactly what you hate and condemn.

But keep on driving on; I'll be here next week. :2wave:

D74E1EF3-0C79-4196-A935-647D816F4304.jpg

I do not care about guns per se and I have no need to validate my experience or lackthereof with them. It’s not a criteria for assessing the data that too many human beings are hurt and/or killed by gun violence in this country and it’s only in this country that it’s an epidemic. We do not currently have any real gun laws that work because until there is a federal standard it’s all useless.

Please stop regaling me about how special your guns are and how different your take on them is. I don’t care.

Nope! :)

In this forum we will continue to highlight DGU's.....or, at least I will.

I haven’t demanded anything.

And all you did was repeat what they did: we will murder you if you come for our guns.

Nope. Nobody wrote that. You are seeing words that aren't on the screen or simply being dishonest. People have a right to self defense, hence they have a right to own guns. Nobody wants to murder anyone... They want to protect themselves, collect, or hunt. Hence the reason owning guns is a protected right.
I didn't mean to say that you made a demand. You appear to want to strip gun ownership rights. You're anti gun, hence you are clearly anti-self defense. Don't want to own a gun. Don't own one. Nobody cares.

Last edited:
We do not currently have any real gun laws that work because until there is a federal standard it’s all useless.

On this I am in agreement with you, because we do need some standardization and we do need better regulation.

How special they are? Point out anything I said about them that makes them sound "special", please.
I didn't even identify makes or models.
Seems like you're putting a good deal of effort into strenuously NOT listening, like when I said I don't romanticize them.
How special my guns are? Really? What kind of pistols do I have?
Since you think I am trying to tell you how special they are, I must have waxed poetic about them somewhere in this thread the way a motorhead talks lovingly about the engine in their hot rod.

Yeah, you don't care...we can tell by all your misplaced anger...your "not caring" is showing all over the page.
bullshit-meter1 (2019_02_27 17_41_55 UTC).jpg
But, I still won't even make the least bit of effort to change your mind because I respect that you don't like guns.

You on the other hand, are a textbook example of everything ammosexuals DO USE as "ammo" when painting the other side as hateful hysterics because you don't even respect a person with another point of view enough to at least BE HONEST about what they have said and what their views stand for.

In fact, you're putting a good deal of effort into distorting what I've said.
That means you're disrespectful.
I try to respect people on this board but the ones who play the kind of games you're playing forces me to see you the same way I see folks like TurtleDude. Just because you have a diametrically opposed POV on guns doesn't change the fact that you're doing much the same as he does when he doesn't like the way an argument is going.

And the dumb thing about that is, I am not even attempting to argue.

You know, it’s funny you should mention. I am of the belief that 2A is garbage and should be abolished. I know that will never happen. And I’m told hey, even if it did, sooo many guns out there, and they ain’t given em up. So okay. What I would like to do? I would like to start a drive: Black Lives Matter More When Armed. I think as the start of a crowdsourced reparations movement, white folks should pay for arming and licensing of all poc in every state, but especially in open carry states, and especially in red states. There should not be a pair of brown colored hands that do not have a gun in it in this version of America.

Holy **** are you ever ignorant about the black community! :lamo

The problem seems to be that too many black people have armed themselves for the purpose of taking for others directly.

Again, holy **** are you ever ignorant about the black community...that's TWO of you on the same page, one on the left and one on the right!
CLASSIC!!!! :lamo

On this I am in agreement with you, because we do need some standardization and we do need better regulation.

How special they are? Point out anything I said about them that makes them sound "special", please.
I didn't even identify makes or models.
Seems like you're putting a good deal of effort into strenuously NOT listening, like when I said I don't romanticize them.
How special my guns are? Really? What kind of pistols do I have?
Since you think I am trying to tell you how special they are, I must have waxed poetic about them somewhere in this thread the way a motorhead talks lovingly about the engine in their hot rod.

Yeah, you don't care...we can tell by all your misplaced anger...your "not caring" is showing all over the page.
View attachment 67295341
But, I still won't even make the least bit of effort to change your mind because I respect that you don't like guns.

You on the other hand, are a textbook example of everything ammosexuals DO USE as "ammo" when painting the other side as hateful hysterics because you don't even respect a person with another point of view enough to at least BE HONEST about what they have said and what their views stand for.

In fact, you're putting a good deal of effort into distorting what I've said.
That means you're disrespectful.
I try to respect people on this board but the ones who play the kind of games you're playing forces me to see you the same way I see folks like TurtleDude. Just because you have a diametrically opposed POV on guns doesn't change the fact that you're doing much the same as he does when he doesn't like the way an argument is going.

And the dumb thing about that is, I am not even attempting to argue.

I care about gun violence very deeply. However: yet another gun owner explaining to me who special and precious and unique their relationship is with their gun, unlike “those crazies over there?” Zzzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom