• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man Receives First Penis Transplant in the United States

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A man whose penis was removed because of cancer has received the first penis transplant in the United States, at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Thomas Manning, 64, a bank courier from Halifax, Mass., underwent the 15-hour transplant operation on May 8 and 9. The organ came from a deceased donor.
“I want to go back to being who I was,” Mr. Manning said on Friday in an interview in his hospital room. Sitting up in a chair, happy to be out of bed for the first time since the operation, he said he felt well and had experienced hardly any pain.

“We’re cautiously optimistic,” said Dr. Curtis L. Cetrulo, a plastic and reconstructive surgeon and a leader of the surgical team. “It’s uncharted waters for us.”
The surgery is experimental, part of a research program with the ultimate goal of helping combat veterans with severe pelvic injuries, as well as cancer patients and accident victims.
If all goes as planned, normal urination should be possible for Mr. Manning within a few weeks, and sexual function in weeks to months, Dr. Cetrulo said.
Mr. Manning welcomed questions and said he wanted to speak out publicly to help dispel the shame and stigma associated with genital cancers and injuries, and to let other men know there was hope of having normal anatomy restored.

“Don’t hide behind a rock,” he said.
He said he was not quite ready to take a close look at his transplant.
He will have to take several anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life. One of them, tacrolimus, seems to speed nerve regeneration and may help restore function to the transplant, Dr. Cetrulo said.
Another patient, his penis destroyed by burns in a car accident, will receive a transplant as soon as a matching donor becomes available, Dr. Cetrulo said.
Surgeons at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine are also planning to perform penis transplants, and have had a combat veteran, injured in Afghanistan, on the waiting list for several months.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/health/thomas-manning-first-penis-transplant-in-us.html?_r=0

Gutsy to go public.

So when are transexuals going to get it done?

Also, just ewww to the whole idea in general.

Oh, and the first penis transplant happened some time ago now. Just think now they are going to cut mans dicks off when they die. Just another reason to not be an organ donor. lol.

Also, just ewww to the whole idea in general.

You might think differently if you were in his shoes. I'd hold out for something bigger, perhaps in a darker shade. :lamo

You might think differently if you were in his shoes. I'd hold out for something bigger, perhaps in a darker shade. :lamo

No. It's just ****ing gross. I mean really, it's gross on multiple levels.

One would think that since it is now possible to grow simple structures like ears and noses, that a penis would be the next step in complexity and therefore doable. Various tissue engineering platforms exist wherein the donor organ is stripped all the way down to the bare connective tissue with a "detergent like" substance, them stem cells are fed to the connective tissue structure and in a short time an all new organ exists with the recipient's DNA instead of the donor's, thus eliminating the need for anti-rejection drugs.

I suppose that actual human implementation is still a few years off but the possibilities are endless.
We may even see 3D "bio printing" of organs.

This is good news for any future male who ends up having a Lorena Bobbitt incident. ;)

This is good news for any future male who ends up having a Lorena Bobbitt incident. ;)

They reattached his penis, so no.

There is however cases where the woman destroyed the mans penis, so it would help them.

Back
Top Bottom