• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man Pays Tax Bill With Thousands of Single Dollar Bills to Protest 'Stolen' Money

Does he have a valid point?

No, I don't think so. I'm of the opinion that public education, even though it is not always the most efficient, is a net benefit to society that you're getting regardless of whether you or your kids are actually using it.

The better question is should you be taxed for the right to own property.

But yes, taxes are almost always theft and property taxes are a wonderful example of it.

No. Everybody pays for services they don't need. I don't particularly drive on the highways in the suburbs very much, but some of my tax money goes to pay for it. :shrug:

No, I don't think so. I'm of the opinion that public education, even though it is not always the most efficient, is a net benefit to society that you're getting regardless of whether you or your kids are actually using it.

Ah, the old indirect benefit train of thought. Interestingly enough, that train of thought would warrant the government mandating you pay for everything that can benefit you indirectly.

Yeah, my only real thought about this is "I bet he really, really wanted to do it in pennies but could not put his hands on enough of them or realized that he would have to carry all of them himself."

Ah, the old indirect benefit train of thought. Interestingly enough, that train of thought would warrant the government mandating you pay for everything that can benefit you indirectly.

Not it wouldn't. In my opinion it depends on the degree of benefit provided. Education meets that, most things don't.

Not it wouldn't. In my opinion it depends on the degree of benefit provided. Education meets that, most things don't.

Then it's just subjective? Wonderful.

No, he does not. Just because he does not choose to partake in the benefit provided doesn't change the fact it is still provided. He is more than welcome, at any time, to send his kids to the public school.

Kind of. I don't think everything's always black and white. I don't think it's subjective because I do believe there's a correct answer, just one that's not always easy to determine. I remember we had this same disagreement in that philosophical dilemma thread.

No, he does not. Just because he does not choose to partake in the benefit provided doesn't change the fact it is still provided. He is more than welcome, at any time, to send his kids to the public school.

Why not just charge him at that point?

I tend to take the view that the kid who gets an education today isn't liable to mug me when I'm 80 years old.

More generally a democratic form of government can only really work correctly with an educated and informed electorate.

no.

i don't have kids, and i pay into public schools. i still benefit from the average person having at least some education. this is a pissant rebellion, but if it makes him happy, more power to him. at least he paid the bill.

Why not just charge him at that point?
For the same reason I'm not charged every time pull onto a public street or stop at a stop light. For the same reason I'm not charged every time I go to vote. For the same reason I'm not charged when I call the police or the fire department or an ambulance. And so on and so forth. It's just not how we do things.

I understand the point he's making, he's just wrong in doing so. All Americans pay for things they don't use which benefit others.

no.

i don't have kids, and i pay into public schools. i still benefit from the average person having at least some education. this is a pissant rebellion, but if it makes him happy, more power to him. at least he paid the bill.

If he didn't pay the government can and will seize his property. That is why I said we are taxed for the right to own property.

For the same reason I'm not charged every time pull onto a public street or stop at a stop light. For the same reason I'm not charged every time I go to vote. For the same reason I'm not charged when I call the police or the fire department or an ambulance. And so on and so forth. It's just not how we do things.

Why are you not? If the government is providing you a service why shouldn't you be charged for it? I can understand not charging people for police since they carry out the law, but why not charge people for the use of roads, the use of the fire department and an ambulance? What do they have to do with the function of government? Why not charge people for those services?

It's not either-or. Some things should be collectively paid for while others should not. Education falls into the former.

While we're at it, public education should be diversified. The system, as is, is obsolete.

If he didn't pay the government can and will seize his property. That is why I said we are taxed for the right to own property.

i'm not big on property taxes, and would probably choose a different method. i'm fine with taxes in general, because i benefit from societal structure. i do lament, however, that my taxes are being spent on risky interventionism and a failed neoprohibition. i'd opt out of those if i had a choice, but i don't, so i pay my taxes just like i pay my electric bill.

Why are you not? If the government is providing you a service why shouldn't you be charged for it?
I am. I'm charged by paying my tax dollars.

I can understand not charging people for police since they carry out the law, but why not charge people for the use of roads, the use of the fire department and an ambulance?
Because it's already been paid for. Because access to necessary conditions and life saving measures should not be dependent on how much money you make.

i'm not big on property taxes, and would probably choose a different method. i'm fine with taxes in general, because i benefit from societal structure. i do lament, however, that my taxes are being spent on risky interventionism and a failed neoprohibition. i'd opt out of those if i had a choice, but i don't, so i pay my taxes just like i pay my electric bill.

The problem with your argument is that your electric bill is something you signed up for and are getting direct benefits from while paying the government is almost never voluntary and almost always the benefits are indirect.

The problem with your argument is that your electric bill is something you sign up for and are getting direct benefits from while paying the government is almost never voluntary and almost always the benefits are indirect.

i get the direct benefit of not having to deal with regional warlords and a completely uneducated population. i'll take it.

I am. I'm charged by paying my tax dollars.

It's more like you are charged a set rate no matter how much it costs and no matter how many times you use the service.

Because it's already been paid for. Because access to necessary conditions and life saving measures should not be dependent on how much money you make.

Why shouldn't they be dependent on your ability to pay? Why should I have to pay for services for you simply because you can't afford it's cost and happen to need the service?

It's more like you are charged a set rate no matter how much it costs and no matter how many times you use the service.
Yup. Just like my cable bill, Internet, phone, etc.

Why shouldn't they be dependent on your ability to pay?
Because we shouldn't be heartless bastards?

Why should I have to pay for services for you simply because you can't afford it's cost and happen to need the service?
Because you're not a heartless bastard?

Are you a heartless bastard? Are you so selfish as to value artificially valued pieces of paper over the health and well-being of a human being?

I have known many people who hold Henrin's position on this matter, and in my observations these people tend to be the more selfish and less tolerant in our society... and, ironically enough... the ones who would dislike it the most, and would complain the loudest, if our society were less educated overall than it already is. They would seriously dislike having to deal with even bigger idiots on a daily basis.

It's a general comment, not directed at Henrin specifically. He may or may not fit.

As for myself, I'm with Anagram and Helix and others. I have my tax issues as well, and in my opinion taxes are too high and spent too frivolously, and I get the desire to protest, but the "I don't get any benefit from public education" theory has never been a valid argument to me. It's way too short-sighted. (I do think education should be eliminated at the federal level, but not overall)

The better question is should you be taxed for the right to own property.

Not if you can lose the property for not paying it.

Back
Top Bottom