• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man ordered from home on Quebec gold mine

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Man ordered from home on Quebec gold mine - Yahoo! Canada News

Ken Masse's childhood house is the last obstacle standing in the way of a multibillion-dollar mining project in the town of Malartic. But he has refused to budge.

Masse, 35, balked at lucrative offers for his mother's home and stared down an expropriation order, even after the neighbourhood was transformed from residential area to wasteland.

But Masse's stance buckled Tuesday under a Superior Court judge's order that awarded Osisko Mining Corp. possession of the property.

It's because of acts like these that I could never really support big industries. They find ways to take people from their homes in poor countries and can now do it in countries where a man and his property are supposed to be protected by laws. I do not doubt that the people who justify companies moving into the Amazon and uprooting thousands of people will find a way to justify this blatant abuse of the law but at the very least consider the possibility that if your land is ever found to be standing on a piece of land a company wants, they probably will get it from you one way or another.

This wasn't really about money for this guy. It was about principle. I wouldn't have moved out either. The environment is more valuable to me than the false and superficial value humans put on metals like gold. Hopefully he'll sue both the Canadian government AND this company for conspiring against him.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's horrible. This has been going on here in the U.S. too for at least this past decade I think. I know Wal-Mart has used eminent domain here in the U.S. before to take property for their store.

It's because of acts like these that I could never really support big industries. They find ways to take people from their homes in poor countries and can now do it in countries where a man and his property are supposed to be protected by laws. I do not doubt that the people who justify companies moving into the Amazon and uprooting thousands of people will find a way to justify this blatant abuse of the law but at the very least consider the possibility that if your land is ever found to be standing on a piece of land a company wants, they probably will get it from you one way or another.

This wasn't really about money for this guy. It was about principle. I wouldn't have moved out either. The environment is more valuable to me than the false and superficial value humans put on metals like gold. Hopefully he'll sue both the Canadian government AND this company for conspiring against him.

State capitalism at its finest.

Did a company order him out, or did the government order him out?

Rights are being eroded in Canada just as they are in most of the western world right now. Our governments are slowly becoming a big corporatocracy.

This man's private property rights were essentially tossed out by the judge. He can try to appeal it, but by the time he does his house will already be torn down.

The politics in central Canada (Ontario and Quebec) are getting worse and worse each year because of industry. He can't sue the Federal government. With the conservatives in power he will be quickly overruled.

Just one of the many rights violations we are now starting to see. I mean, very few people balked at what happened at the G20 summit in Toronto. It was just business as usual as freedom of movement was restricted, and police demanded two pieces of ID for you to walk the streets or be arrested on sight.

Canadians deserve everything they're getting, because no one will stand up for their rights anymore. They just sit down and take it.

Rights are being eroded in Canada just as they are in most of the western world right now. Our governments are slowly becoming a big corporatocracy.

This man's private property rights were essentially tossed out by the judge. He can try to appeal it, but by the time he does his house will already be torn down.

The politics in central Canada (Ontario and Quebec) are getting worse and worse each year because of industry. He can't sue the Federal government. With the conservatives in power he will be quickly overruled.

Just one of the many rights violations we are now starting to see. I mean, very few people balked at what happened at the G20 summit in Toronto. It was just business as usual as freedom of movement was restricted, and police demanded two pieces of ID for you to walk the streets or be arrested on sight.

Canadians deserve everything they're getting, because no one will stand up for their rights anymore. They just sit down and take it.

Aren't you a big government guy?

In fact, most of the people that posted on this thread, saying this is bad, are supporters of the government doing what it wants, "for the public good".

Yeah, it's horrible. This has been going on here in the U.S. too for at least this past decade I think. I know Wal-Mart has used eminent domain here in the U.S. before to take property for their store.

Can you find a link, or some proof, or something for that one?

I know towns have used I.D. (thanks to the supreme court) to steal land, but Wally-world?

In fact, most of the people that posted on this thread, saying this is bad, are supporters of the government doing what it wants, "for the public good".

Healthcare for all = GOOD!
Gold mine = BAD.

It's not cut and dry for me. I believe some government regulation is necessary, but in my lifetime I have seen the rights of the individual being repeatedly stepped on in favor of corporations and profits. I have seen government become more and more hesitant to create laws that benefit all of society because it might be "bad for business". I think a healthy economy is important but I think the rights of the individual are more important than that.

And in this case, I cannot comprehend how the property rights of one person can be stepped on so that gold can be harvested. That was the kind of thing I saw in China. The government would come in and give people a few days to leave before the houses were bulldozed for development. I would think to myself, "I'm glad I live in Canada where this kind of crap can't happen." Now, as of today, there is NO difference between Canada and China, if a man can be kicked off his land against his will and property rights in the name of obscene profits.

Our countries are selling out. Bit by bit. At least you guys in America have guns so you could try to have a revolution if you wanted to. We are just screwed up here.

Did a company order him out, or did the government order him out?

Both. The company made him an offer. When he refused it. The company took him to court and got the government to kick him out. Thus why I stated that both the government and the company conspired against him.

Healthcare for all = GOOD!
Gold mine = BAD.

now if all receive the proceeds of the gold mine, as they would healthcare, then the gold mine would also be "good"

Can you find a link, or some proof, or something for that one?

I know towns have used I.D. (thanks to the supreme court) to steal land, but Wally-world?

Capitalism Magazine - Three Cheers for Wal-Mart

Local government should not be allowed to abuse their power by keeping out stores that consumers want to shop in. Nor, of course, should Wal-Mart be allowed to use eminent domain laws, as it is trying to do in several states, to force property owners to sell their land. But given that it refrains from using eminent domain, we should welcome every store that Wal-Mart builds. We should thank this great company for being so good at giving customers what they want that they make huge profits, which enables them to build more stores, hire more employees, give more profit opportunities to suppliers and make even more customers happy.

Wal-Mart should not be feared but should be admired as an American ideal--a classic rags to riches story. It is the quintessential example of an innovator left free to function. Only in a country where individual rights--at least what's left of them--including the right to earn a profit, are recognized, could a company like Wal-Mart arise and prosper. Trying to stop Wal-Mart is not only morally wrong, it is un-American.

Wal-Mart Plays Both Sides Of The Eminent Domain Fence | Wal-Mart Watch | Fighting for Wal-Mart Workers | Employee Free Choice Act

But an e-mail exchange obtained by Wal-Mart Watch and reported in the Orlando Sentinel, shows that Wal-Mart is playing both sides of the eminent domain fence by criticizing the practice in California and employing the practice in Florida. The exchange between the developer and local landowners details Wal-Mart’s threat to use eminent domain to seize local homeowners’ land for an 800,000 square-foot distribution center:

Our firm, which is the representative for Wal-Mart on this project, has talked with several local agencies relative to the projected market value for these aforementioned property parcels… In the event any of these property parcel owners are not willing to either sell, or to provide the needed r.o.w. (or) easement, our firm will ask the County to proceed with the necessary legal actions to secure those properties from the property owners to accommodate the public purpose needs to serve the planned project’s utility and road requirements.​

Sprawl-Busters Newsflash Blog - Anti-Sprawl news since 1998.

City Officials in Alabaster, Alabama have slammed into a "Wal" of opposition to a Wal-Mart supercenter--especially over the potential use of eminent domain to force homeowners to sell out to the giant retailer. According to the Brimingham News, the city's lawyer claims Alabaster is not trying to condemn residential homes to make way for a Wal-Mart. The city is trying to convince a judge to dismiss a federal lawsuit that seeks to prevent the city from declaring the 10 acres in question as being blighted.

Is it so hard to imagine that the same Wally-world who overworks employees, buys merchandise built by 21st century slaves, has a practice of discriminating against women and provides few actual benefits for most of its workers would use practices like eminent domain? Seriously?

Both. The company made him an offer. When he refused it. The company took him to court and got the government to kick him out. Thus why I stated that both the government and the company conspired against him.

There's more to this story than that though. If Masse had hired a lawyer and worked through the court instead of listening to this Aucoin character he probably could have kept his land. Walking out of court because some guy who had been interrupting the judge tells you to is a bad way to get the court on your side.

There's more to this story than that though. If Masse had hired a lawyer and worked through the court instead of listening to this Aucoin character he probably could have kept his land. Walking out of court because some guy who had been interrupting the judge tells you to is a bad way to get the court on your side.

I find it ridiculous that this even went to court. Heads should roll when a man is forced out of his land through tripartism.

I find it ridiculous that this even went to court. Heads should roll when a man is forced out of his land through tripartism.

And I agree with you. The land is his as far as I'm concerned. He certainly didn't do himself any favors though and is probably only going to get the 14,000 his house is worth rather than the 350,000 he could have got.

Wait, was it the government of PQ or Canada that forced him out or the court ordering him out?

Whatever, the tradition under English common law has long been that the property you owned was yours and any and all resources under the surface of that land to the center of the earth was also your property. When did Canada abandon that element of English common law?

I thanked a post by Hatuey in a thread on property rights. I feel dirty.

Your first sentence should have been aimed at the judge not the company. Sure the company is scum but they couldn't have done it without the governemnt.

Just like the government in the US could never have had the right to take your property without the liberal judges on the Supreme Court.

A while back the Canadian government decided that land owners didn't own the mineral rights to their land anymore and sold them off at $25 an acre.

Screwy **** happens.

You know what I would love to see? The discovery of the biggest oil well in the history of mankind, right underneath the house of the CEO of Goldman-Sachs. At the same time, I would love to see The CEO of Chevron-Texaco work so hard condemning the home of the CEO of Goldman-Sachs that he forgets to make a payment on his credit card.

I could become a billionaire selling tickets to the fight that would come out of that. :mrgreen:

A version of British law that gave the king dominion over the resources of the earth still exists in Canadian provincial law. The mineral resources that lie under the privately owned property in Canada are regarded as the property of the crown. That is spelled out in the Mineral Resources Act of every province and denies private property owners the right to the resources that lie under their land. The crown asserts a right to sell those mineral rights to persons other than the landowner and without advising private landowners of its intentions in this regard.

THE PROPERTY OF THE KING AND MINERAL RIGHTS IN CANADA

I'm not saying it was right, but it was legal.

You can run into the same thing here in the States..... mineral rights are sold separately from property rights in most real estate transactions. What that means is that whoever owns the mineral rights to your property can come in and mine those minerals and there ain't nuttin you can do about it. In some cases, you may not even own the air space rights to your property…. If you don’t, the person that does can build a bridge, freeway, or a large shade over your house and again, ain’t nuttin you can do about it.

Last edited:

That's what big government will gitcha. It'll be like that here in the states, thanks to some folks--whom I won't mention.

Remember when Maxine Waters said she wanted to nationalize the oil companies? hellooooooo!!!!

You know what I would love to see? The discovery of the biggest oil well in the history of mankind, right underneath the house of the CEO of Goldman-Sachs. At the same time, I would love to see The CEO of Chevron-Texaco work so hard condemning the home of the CEO of Goldman-Sachs that he forgets to make a payment on his credit card.

I could become a billionaire selling tickets to the fight that would come out of that. :mrgreen:

The CEO of Goldman Sachs would love to see that, too. He would cut a deal with the highest bidder quicker than you flick flies off of ****.

Back
Top Bottom