• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man Made God vs. God Made Man

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Pick one, and defend.

I go with man made god. The evidence is beyond overwhelming.

Every religious book ever written, every text, every scroll, everything was created by and written by man.

Many of those texts and scrolls have unknown "authors".
Most if not all were written 1000's of years ago. Edited and revised hundreds of times. By men.

Man is a fearful and superstitious creature.
Why is that volcano destroying our village? We obviously made god angry.

Also - because there's thousands of variations to the "god" story across the globe, it's clear that man is creating these stories.

Man obviously made god.
God is the answer to everything we can't answer.
God is the easy out.

Man is too weak to simply accept "I don't know".
Man must have an answer, even if that answer is un-provable flip-flap.

By "defend" I do not mean please post bible quotes.
Don't post links to various and biased religious web pages.

Use your own words. Your own thoughts.

Formulate your own defense without relying on cut-n-paste.

Thanks in advance.

All of the different races and cultures have their Gods in their image.

Pick one, and defend.

I go with man made god. The evidence is beyond overwhelming.

Every religious book ever written, every text, every scroll, everything was created by and written by man.

Many of those texts and scrolls have unknown "authors".
Most if not all were written 1000's of years ago. Edited and revised hundreds of times. By men.

Man is a fearful and superstitious creature.
Why is that volcano destroying our village? We obviously made god angry.

Also - because there's thousands of variations to the "god" story across the globe, it's clear that man is creating these stories.

Man obviously made god.
God is the answer to everything we can't answer.
God is the easy out.

Man is too weak to simply accept "I don't know".
Man must have an answer, even if that answer is un-provable flip-flap.

I still think man made up the god concept to bridge the gaps in our knowledge but one shouldnt underestimate what these stories can inspire for good and for ill.

I still think man made up the god concept to bridge the gaps in our knowledge

Fully agree.

but one shouldnt underestimate what these stories can inspire for good and for ill.

Perhaps a new thread for that. Quite a large onion for sure.

Just curious though....who is underestimating "these stories"?

Yes, I firmly believe gods are nothing more than a man made construct. They are a reflection of the fears and hopes of the various cultures that created them.

The fact that those nations who did not know the True God created their own gods is a testament to God created man with the innate need/desire to worship his Creator...

The fact that those nations who did not know the True God created their own gods is a testament to God created man with the innate need/desire to worship his Creator...

What the feck is this apologetic theistic dung pile supposed to mean? There is no one true god, even tribe thinks that they have the one true god, even JWs likes yourself. To say that your argument is circular is beyond obvious.

What the feck is this apologetic theistic dung pile supposed to mean? There is no one true god, even tribe thinks that they have the one true god, even JWs likes yourself. To say that your argument is circular is beyond obvious.

Having reading comprehension problems, are ya...:2razz:

Man created God to fill in the (scary) unknowns and a few deceivers used those beliefs to cement power over the sheep. From my recollection, Gilgamesh came before the old Testament, yet the old Testament had to get the hell narrative from Gilgamesh. Always found that odd for an orderly God.

Years ago, I visited the pyramids of Cancun. The guide told us that the wealthy families would force everyone to pay up, so that they could get God to bless them with rain from the crops. After years of paying up and no rain, they finally chased out the wealthy God conduit families with pitchforks.

Not much different than today, IMO.

Last edited:
All of the different races and cultures have their Gods in their image.

Delete the word 'races' and I will agree. 'Races' are human inventions just as 'gods' are. Homo Sapiens is NOT divided into 'races' ; to believe that it is, post-DNA, is simple ignorance.

No. It's a testament to the fact that man is a fragile and superstitious being with an innate desire to create answers to the unanswerable.

Without using the bible, or any jw.org cut and paste, please defend your statement that man has an innate need/desire to "worship".

You can drop the "True God" idiocy too.
You have no clue if such a thing exists. You have belief.
So do many many others who believe is a completely different god.
Your belief has the same odds of being correct as theirs does.
Which also means your belief has the same odds of being incorrect as theirs does.

No. It's a testament to the fact that man is a fragile and superstitious being with an innate desire to create answers to the unanswerable.

Without using the bible, or any jw.org cut and paste, please defend your statement that man has an innate need/desire to "worship".

You can drop the "True God" idiocy too.
You have no clue if such a thing exists. You have belief.
So do many many others who believe is a completely different god.
Your belief has the same odds of being correct as theirs does.
Which also means your belief has the same odds of being incorrect as theirs does.

Impossible.

Well, it's obvious you do not understand what I said...

I understood you very well, but it still doesn't make sense. I read it four different times with different emphasis each time but it was still just as logically incoherent.

Man-made God.

Easy as pie. There's evidence that man exists. There's no evidence that a god exists.

why would there ever be anyone who did not know god if god is not man made?

Because of what happened in the garden of Eden, when man made the decision to separate himself from God's guidance...

I understood you very well, but it still doesn't make sense. I read it four different times with different emphasis each time but it was still just as logically incoherent.

No, you don't understand it and I can't understand it for you...

Because of what happened in the garden of Eden, when man made the decision to separate himself from God's guidance...

um god kicked them out of the garden over the fruit and adam and eve became mortal but no where in the bible does it say adam and eve refused to talk to god and even if they had each individual human could still make that choice and even if humans don't talk back a god could still introduce itself to everyone and give every one all the relevant information about itself

so again

Back
Top Bottom